Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-24-2008, 02:14 PM   #16
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Harry potter has to be on the list. The books read like a plot for a computer game.
The Dumb Vinci Code. When I found myself rooting for the big white guy I chucked it in.
At least one Hemingway. Just cannot decide which one.
Seven Habits of highly effective people. To represent this genre you understand
The Lopsang Rampa series. Talk about misrepresenting a belief system
Clive Cussler. Anyone of them and all of them.
Shout At the Devil Wilbur Smith You need to be South African to truly hate this properly I believe
Rose Madder Steven King
Romeo and Juliet. Do plays count? I like Shakespeare but hated this one.
In Black and White Jake White The South African world cup winning rugby couch
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I like Battlefield Earth, myself -- the book, not the movie which bore only fraudulent resemblance to it.

However, a think all eleven of Hubbard's "Mission Earth" series ought to be among the worst books ever written. If you can make it through the whole thing, you're clearly one extremely sick puppy ... and not in a good way.

I only made it through the first two, and that was because of a school assignment, if I'd realized what toxic waste it was early enough I'd've probably chosen a different author to write that paper on. Truly ghastly stuff.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #18
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
Will Self - Great Apes

/thread

i read the first half and all it was about was chimpanzees haveing sex, over and over and over... the man has issues.

never finished the thing.

Last edited by electristan; 04-24-2008 at 03:32 PM.
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:30 PM   #19
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Amazon Search, keywords: Dune Brian Herbert.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #20
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
CRABS!

I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned, but you see them in airport spinners all over the US. My #1 "must avoid" is Guy Smith's "Killer Crabs" series.

Dan Brown comes in at #2, only barely ahead of John Norman.

If you need titles:

1. Night of the Crabs
2. The Da Vinci code
3. anything with the word "Gor" in the title.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
Harry potter has to be on the list. The books read like a plot for a computer game.
The Dumb Vinci Code. When I found myself rooting for the big white guy I chucked it in.
At least one Hemingway. Just cannot decide which one.
Seven Habits of highly effective people. To represent this genre you understand
The Lopsang Rampa series. Talk about misrepresenting a belief system
Clive Cussler. Anyone of them and all of them.
Shout At the Devil Wilbur Smith You need to be South African to truly hate this properly I believe
Rose Madder Steven King
Romeo and Juliet. Do plays count? I like Shakespeare but hated this one.
In Black and White Jake White The South African world cup winning rugby couch

Interesting comments...

I taught Stephen King's Rose Madder at Miami University when I was working on my doctorate in English Literature. I used the book as an example of spousal abuse, a novel to get us thinking crtically about negative issues within our society.

The kids (well, teens and early 20s) were actually distracted by the weird aspects of the novel, commenting upon how the weird in this novel diminised its cumulative power. Although I agreed with them, my opinion was not the issue here.

I feel most students think of King as a "horror" writer, and he certainly is that, but he is so much more than that. In fact, the definition of horror can have a very broad definition, indeed.

King is fascinated by genre, I feel, and wishes to explore all aspects of literature.

I think, if any discerning reader wanted to, one could deconstruct King's laundry list and come up with a whole framework for critical discourse!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #22
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I still think The DaVinci code is the most terrible book I have ever read.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #23
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
I was terribly impressed with how Brown was able to create a series of opening chapters, none more than about four pages long, and each with a cliff-hanger ending. It was a real page-turner for me until by about a third of the way in at which point the pain reading all the junk made it hard from there on. But as a mystery or thriller or whatever it is, I'm impressed with the guy's talent and could easily imagine why people liked it so much. But then, I never read things like this normally so really don't know what the standard of excellence is for the genre.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #24
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I don't care for the Harry Potter books either. I read the 1st two books and lost interest, but attribute it to the fact that I'm not a child...since the books are written more for children.

I really don't care for John Grisham books, they are so predictable and the plots are so worn out to me. But then most best sellers nowadays are not worth much from a literary standpoint, but appeal to the masses as fast, cheap entertainment - much like the pablum that is on much of television.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #25
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Yep, the guy gets all 10 of my votes. "Everybody was reading it" was the only reason I stuck it out to the end -- it's the poster child for really-bad-writing.

(I do have to say though, that I thought the movie was faintly enjoyable.)
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:20 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
1. The Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown)

2. Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

3. The First Man in Rome (Colleen McCullough)

4. The Sparrow/Children of God (Mary Doria Russell)

5. Anything by Piers Anthony

6. Battlefield Earth (Lunatic Ron Hubbard)

7. The Sea, The Sea (Iris Murdoch)

8. The Wheel of Time (Robert Jordon, mostly)

9. A Game of Thrones (George R. R. Martin)

10. Anything Cthulhu Mythos (by H.P. Lovecraft)

There you go, in no particular order. They're probably not the worst I've read, but they came to the forefront of my mind the quickest.

Cheers,
Marc (I'm so going to get it from Cthulhu)
#1 -Cannot say. Never read it.
#2 - I agree
#3 - Cannot say. Never read it.
#4 - Cannot say. Never read it.
#5 - Some are not all that wonderful and some I really enjoyed. So overall, I cannot agree.
#6 - Should be the #1 worst book. It was a good idea that was horribly executed.
#7 - Cannot say. Never read it.
#8 - I've read up to #9 and I did enjoy it. But life got int he way and I never did get to #10. So I disagree.
#9 - I really enjoyed that. But disagreement there.
#10 - Have yet to read that so I cannot comment just yet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #27
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
One that almost took a tear from me... of anger that is, "Rendezvous with Rama" from Arthur C Clarke. The first tome starts well and ends after mostly nothing happens but enough to lure you into a second book, angering you further still. What a waste of time. Two smileys out of ten.

The other nine are in an other language that does not interest most of you and I won't go there.

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 04-24-2008 at 07:29 PM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #28
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
No one has mentioned Jeffrey Archer yet, so I will.

And Raymond Khoury's 'The Last Templar' is truly appalling. The characterisation is wooden, the plot is obvious, the prose is leaden, and it reads like a debased Dan Brown.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:01 PM   #29
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
No one has mentioned Jeffrey Archer yet, so I will.
I thought Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less was fun to read at least.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:26 PM   #30
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Life is much too short to read bad books. When I find myself stuck in a horribly written/poorly plotted/boring book, I back out immediately and put it up as a lesson learned. And I never visit the offending monstrosity again.

As such, I don't really remember what these books are.

But I would have to disagree with Harry Potter books 1-4 being on a list like this. I rather enjoyed them.. but after that they just became whiny and irritating.

And I rather enjoyed Piers Anthony's Battle Circle.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote