Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
dicknskip
Zealot
dicknskip began at the beginning.

Device: iPad V-3
ePub with custom .css on a 505

I decided I wanted to switch to ePub, I'm a Linux guy so an open format is a good idea. I got Sigil as an editor. It works great. I wanted slightly larger font size than normal, indented paragraphs, and no space between. I built a .css file from an .lrf process I had that did this. It looks great in Sigil and all Calibre readers. As soon as I move it to the 505 it reverts to smaller font size, no indent, and space between paras. What can I do without harming my 505?
dicknskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
UncleIvor
Enthusiast
UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kobo readers, Sony readers from the past.
I think you have just discovered one of the limitations of the 505. I tried full justification rather than right justified, both in the css and via Sigil. As you say, looks fine in Sigil. Not on the 505.

There will be those that shudder at the idea, but nowadays I format everything in Open Office and export as pdf. You can have any font size or shape you like then, and, if you really want, as many fonts as you like.
UncleIvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
dicknskip
Zealot
dicknskip began at the beginning.

Device: iPad V-3
The problem with PDF is that it is one of the most closed formats around. The fact that Sony uses ADE (from Adobe) is even worse. I'll either figure out how to work around ADE or go back to lrf.
dicknskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:34 PM   #4
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknskip View Post
The problem with PDF is that it is one of the most closed formats around. The fact that Sony uses ADE (from Adobe) is even worse. I'll either figure out how to work around ADE or go back to lrf.
Although the PDF file itself is fairly locked down, I prefer PDF due to its reliability. This is something that I haven't found with other formats. For example, with RTFs I've been unable to get it to consistently render the general font type (serif, san-serif, fixed font) on my ebooks.

I use StarOffice (the proprietary version of OpenOffice.org) to generate my PDFs. I'm able to format my ebooks on my computer and they will appear on my reader exactly as they appear on my screen. This includes fonts, spacing, line/page breaks, and margins. This allows me to easily identify and correct any formatting problems with my ebooks.

As far as the PDF ebooks themselves, I treat the PDF as an electronic version of paper and only use it at my ereader's default size. If I want to make a change in the ebook's appearance, such as making the font larger, I go back to the original source file, change it, and regenerate the PDF.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote