Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-19-2015, 08:40 PM   #1
shootist
Zealot
shootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: nook, prs-650, prs-350, galaxy tab 2
Glo hd or Aura H2O?

I'm going to pull the trigger on a new ereader. I've narrowed it down to these two. Is one significantly better than the other?
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #2
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
I'm going to pull the trigger on a new ereader. I've narrowed it down to these two. Is one significantly better than the other?
I think the H20 is technically the premium reader of the Kobo lineup. But it probably comes down to personal preference of larger screen vs. more compact device. I have both and have been reading on the HD since I got it, but that's as much a case of "new and shiny" as anything.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2015, 09:46 PM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I had a Glo HD and I returned it. The higher def screen didn't do it for me. Pearl is fine. The light was good. But it is laggy under the current FW 3.15. But it just didn't wow me and I didn't need the upgrade. Its just another 6" ereader.

So I got an old Aura HD 6.8" and I love it. The bigger screen is luxurious. The H2O is meant to be even better.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:48 PM   #4
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
The Glo HD looks like a great reader to me. (I want one!) Only get the Aura HD if you want the bigger 6.8" screen.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:49 PM   #5
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I had a Glo HD and I returned it. The higher def screen didn't do it for me. Pearl is fine. The light was good. But it is laggy under the current FW 3.15. But it just didn't wow me and I didn't need the upgrade. Its just another 6" ereader.

So I got an old Aura HD 6.8" and I love it. The bigger screen is luxurious. The H2O is meant to be even better.
I notice the light is laggy on my Aura as well now with the new firmware. It takes a second to come on after I power the reader on.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2015, 09:53 PM   #6
LeJon
Enthusiast
LeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle
Is the H2O comfortable to use one handed for long periods with tap page turns? Average hand size.
LeJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:10 PM   #7
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeJon View Post
Is the H2O comfortable to use one handed for long periods with tap page turns? Average hand size.
If you read front to back, then it is comfortable. The worse case scenario is that you change the tap-zones to reflect whether you're using your right or left hand. If you flip backwards a lot, it is a bit of a stretch. It is easier just to swipe.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:57 PM   #8
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I have a few PDFs that are designed for a 6x9 inch page, how well does that scale on the Glow HD and H2O? I don't like to read them on my Nook Simple Touch.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:58 PM   #9
BWinmill
Nameless Being

(Assuming H2O) It will depend upon the PDF. Documents with small fonts will be more difficult to read, even though the resolution is sufficient to render it clearly. The refresh rate makes panning a test of patience if you do want to zoom in. Complex documents will also be slow to render due to the limited processor.

That being said, there are patches to Kobo's firmware that improve the PDF reading experience. KOReader also offers a much better PDF reader. Then again, even the stock device will be able to handle a PDF file with larger fonts and a relatively simple structure just fine.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:25 AM   #10
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I have a H2O which is great and was tempted by the Glo HD, mainly hoping to get the beauty of the H2O display and the size of a small reader. After seeing the pics of some Glo HD Display, I am not interested anymore..
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:05 AM   #11
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I have the H2o which I like very much, but need a "spare wheel" and bought an aura 6" as such and to read in public transport, for size and weight. I'm very disappointed with the last because its capacitive layer and less than HD definition make the text fuzzy on a yellowish gridded ground. And when my late HD broke down and I had to read on the aura 6" exclusively for a month until the H2o became available, I fretted (but was thankful I did have a spare wheel), and was first in line at the shop on the first day to get the H2o. So, I'll buy the glo HD, and this time it is a sister in law who is waiting impatiently for my aura 6" which will be her first reader.

BUT, if I had just one reader, I'd take the H2o. I read poetry fairly often, and the extra .8" makes a real difference, especially as it goes more into width than height. It is also better for illustrated books, such as Alice in Wonderland, and the better laid out books. For the run of the mill poorly set-up epub, it probably doesn't make all that much difference, and the glo HD looks good for the money on paper (I still have to get it, end of the week).

FYI, I read exclusively kepubs, with headers and footers.

EDIT: I have fairly small, severely arthritic hands, and I read one handed, even standing in the metro, but when standing, the 6" is more comfortable.

Last edited by anacreon; 05-20-2015 at 02:14 AM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:09 AM   #12
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
If I needed a new ereader today (which I don't, my old Glo is fine) I would lean toward the H2O over the Glo HD, mainly because I think the larger screen of the H2O would improve my reading experience more than the higher pixel density of the Glo HD.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:59 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeJon View Post
Yes, the H2O is very comfortable to use one handed. When I use it one handed, I mostly use it with my right hand and I find having a good case makes it much easier to hold.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:00 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
If you read front to back, then it is comfortable. The worse case scenario is that you change the tap-zones to reflect whether you're using your right or left hand. If you flip backwards a lot, it is a bit of a stretch. It is easier just to swipe.
Forget the tap zones. Useless (IMHO). I swipe. That way, I can do so anyplace on screen, in any direction, and with either hand.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:37 AM   #15
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I have the H2O. I read with my right hand and I generally tap to advance and swipe to go back. It's perfectly comfortable for me to read one handed but sometimes I wish it were smaller for portability purposes. The Kobo Aura fits into my pocket so easily.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote