Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Would you ever buy a non front-lit e-ink reader?

I'm very curious about this.

I now have two front-lit e-ink devices (Kindlewhite and Kobok Glo) and I'm so happy with the technology, that I don't see myself ever buying another e-ink reader that does NOT have this as part of the built-in technology. My thinking is: It can only get better.

My question is mainly directed toward members who now own a front-lit e-ink reader, but please feel free to jump in if you do not meet this qualification.

Would you ever buy another e-ink device that does not have this front-lit capability?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, I don't think I would. The light just transforms the experience of reading - I can now read in all sorts of dimly-lit places that I couldn't have done previously.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Nope! I have a desk drawer full of reading lights - none of which ever worked to completely & evenly illuminate an eInk screen of any size. The PW is simply too good as it is to ever contemplate going back to a non-front-lit screen.

I would kill/pay a lot for a front-lit eInk reader the size of the Kindle DX!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I don't have a Paperwhite yet, but I know I won't look back once I have one. I like the lighted case for my K3, but having a light built right into the reader would be perfect for me.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I don't have a Paperwhite yet, but I know I won't look back once I have one. I like the lighted case for my K3, but having a light built right into the reader would be perfect for me.
I had K3 with the lighted case and thoroughly enjoyed it at the time. Then, when I picked up my Paperwhite and Kobo Glo, it was like a moment of revelation.

Have you had a chance to test a Paperwhite (with a friend or in a low-light situation)? I think you'll be truly amazed...I hope.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I don't have one, but if my existing kindle 4NT dies I'd certainly consider one. However, since my main usage is in a normally well lit room or outside in the sun (not much of that at the moment :P) it wouldn't be a deciding factor and not enough to make me consider upgrading.

With the mixed reports of blotchy screens on some batches of paperwhites, I'd probably also wait until reports of the new batches don't have as many issues. Even though Amazon are great for returns, i'd like to avoid any hassle.

If a device comes along with enough features to twist my arm into an upgrade though and it happens to include a lit display, I'd imagine I'll find it hard to buy a future replacement without it. Too easy to get used to an optional feature and for it to become a required feature

Last edited by JoeD; 01-30-2013 at 10:58 AM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, I don't think I would. The light just transforms the experience of reading - I can now read in all sorts of dimly-lit places that I couldn't have done previously.
Yeah, but how many of those dimly-lit places that you actually now read in (as opposed to just being able to read in) are places you can't just turn on a normal light? Not many, I'm expecting.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
I would, and have, bought an e-ink device with a non front-lit screen after receiving the Paperwhite as a gift. Not because I dislike the Paperwhite, but because I like the variety of all of the different kinds of devices. I only need one front-lit device to read in the dark, and I do have the Kindle Fire as well, so as far as reading in dimly lit settings goes, I'm good.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Yeah, but how many of those dimly-lit places that you actually now read in (as opposed to just being able to read in) are places you can't just turn on a normal light? Not many, I'm expecting.
Quite a few, actually. A few weeks ago, I went to see "The Hobbit" at the cinema, and read through the 20 minutes of tedious adverts and trailers that preceded the film. On Saturday I went out for a very nice Indian meal, and read while waiting for the food to arrive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I had K3 with the lighted case and thoroughly enjoyed it at the time. Then, when I picked up my Paperwhite and Kobo Glo, it was like a moment of revelation.

Have you had a chance to test a Paperwhite (with a friend or in a low-light situation)? I think you'll be truly amazed...I hope.

Don
I haven't seen one in person yet. I know I will be amazed though.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
I read in the living room all the time and use the light on the cover, just because I don't like brightly lit rooms. I also only have the one floor lamp in the living room and it has to be set really high in order to make it comfortable for me to read. I'm sure there are also a lot of people that read in bed, maybe while their partners are sleeping beside them. A lamp would definitely keep my husband awake while the light in my K3 cover is pretty much focused on my reader so it doesn't shine on him.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Would you ever buy another e-ink device that does not have this front-lit capability?
I would, I sent my Paperwhite back and went back to using my Touch. Of course I didn't buy the PW mainly for the light, but for the increased screen resolution. If I often found myself in situations where I'd have to use a booklight or something I'm sure my answer would be different, but I've had a Kandle light for approx four years and have needed it exactly one time.

I don't know if it's the lighting situations I find myself in or perhaps the ways I often hold a reader, but I found I'd often get an "under glass" effect when reading the PW (kind of like reading through the glass on a picture frame) which I don't get on any of my other eInk devices. If they could get rid of that effect then I'd have no problem buying a lit reader, but the light would be way down the list of factors I'd consider when looking at the devices features.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
Beginner-reader
Enthusiast
Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
LED= macular degenerescence, or something like that. Once they make a non-LED Kindle PW, I'll buy it. I spend enough time at the computer already. This is also why I'll never buy a tablet.
Beginner-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
My answer is no, Not after owning the PW after my other non-lit E-ink readers. The built-in front-light is just too convenient and the technology is sufficiently good (battery life, light uniformity, adjustable brightness).

It is now a must-have feature for me.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #15
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Sure I would. Don't get me wrong, I love my Paperwhite, but I still love my K3 too. I have read on a non light kindle for 4 years before the PW came along. Only times it has been a bit harder was at night in bed, even with a nightlamp.

But reading in daytime, outside, balcony etc, I wouldn't need the light. I like a lot of things about my PW, not just the light though.

If my K3 dies, I will get a basic kindle to replace it. Even if I use mostly the PW.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote