Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #76
echwel
Connoisseur
echwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma (sold), Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrusz View Post
Hi, do you have a link to Rakuten latest firmware for Kobo Touch?
Page 1?! Firmware 2.1.5 for the Touch.
echwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:25 AM   #77
andrusz
andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kindle K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by echwel View Post
Page 1?! Firmware 2.1.5 for the Touch.
Oh, this one! Can I read ePUB3 books with it?

Thanks.
andrusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 05:50 AM   #78
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrusz View Post
Can I read ePUB3 books with it?

Thanks.
Yes, you can. It supports vertical writing and furigana. As for other epub 3 features I cannot say.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:03 AM   #79
loco_diabolo
loco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: kobo glo, kobo aura
good morning,

just tested the new "japanese" firmware 2.2.0 on my kobo glo. I live in germany and so I use the german setting. After updating to 2.2.0, i now have a german "Kobo Glo". No more "Kobo Blo"! I don't know if it was only a german mis-translating.

Now it says (in german):

Softwareversion: 2.2.0(r44462, 31.10.12)
Versionshinweise: VERSION 2.2.0 - 01.11.12
Auf ihrem eReader läuft jetzt die Softwareversion 2.2.0:
Damit können sie:
1. Profitieren sie von der verbesserten Titel-Darstellung
2. Synchronisieren Sie ihre Bibliothek auf eine SD-Karte,
wenn der Speicher auf ihrem Gerät nicht ausreicht

I think, this will be displayed in any other language the kobo glo uses.
Now you have a portuguese dictionary, too.

I think it's an official release. In the download-links i found:
2.1.4 .../andreychuk/...
2.1.5 .../brodeur/...
2.2.0 .../coffey/...
2.?.? .../d???/... what will be next??
loco_diabolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:14 AM   #80
koboaya
koboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Touch,Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by loco_diabolo View Post
good morning,

just tested the new "japanese" firmware 2.2.0 on my kobo glo. I live in germany and so I use the german setting. After updating to 2.2.0, i now have a german "Kobo Glo". No more "Kobo Blo"! I don't know if it was only a german mis-translating.

Now it says (in german):

Softwareversion: 2.2.0(r44462, 31.10.12)
Versionshinweise: VERSION 2.2.0 - 01.11.12
Auf ihrem eReader läuft jetzt die Softwareversion 2.2.0:
Damit können sie:
1. Profitieren sie von der verbesserten Titel-Darstellung
2. Synchronisieren Sie ihre Bibliothek auf eine SD-Karte,
wenn der Speicher auf ihrem Gerät nicht ausreicht

I think, this will be displayed in any other language the kobo glo uses.
Now you have a portuguese dictionary, too.

I think it's an official release. In the download-links i found:
2.1.4 .../andreychuk/...
2.1.5 .../brodeur/...
2.2.0 .../coffey/...
2.?.? .../d???/... what will be next??
In Japan, seems to be released 2.2.1.
Download link is unknown.

Do not you know the ice hockey players whose names begin with 'd'?
koboaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #81
osakanataro
osakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch
firmware 2.2.1 link as follows , not 'd'.
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-2.2.1.zip
osakanataro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #82
loco_diabolo
loco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Just updated my glo to 2.2.1. This firmware works again in german.
Softwareversion 2.2.1(r44772, 09.11.12), but in releasenotes it's still 2.2.0.
Don't know what has changed.

Last edited by loco_diabolo; 11-17-2012 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #83
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thumbs up Firmware 2.2.1

Same here. 2.2.1 (German) performs flawlessly - thank you, osakanataro, for the link

Last edited by Koboyashi; 11-17-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #84
loco_diabolo

I found a new kobo desktop update here. This site looks very official.
Now i have the kobo desktop version 3.1.1 and found a portuguese dictionary inside the installation file, which I could use, but can not use because I do not speak portuguese. I copied the related three files to .kobo/dict and it works.
I tried to download this dictionary like eg. this ending .../dictionaries/dicthtml-de.zip, replacing de with pt, but it doesn't work. Maybe later!

Last edited by loco_diabolo; 11-18-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #85
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by loco_diabolo View Post
I found a new kobo desktop update here. This site looks very official.
Now i have the kobo desktop version 3.1.1 and found a portuguese dictionary inside the installation file, which I could use, but can not use because I do not speak portuguese. I copied the related three files to .kobo/dict and it works.
I tried to download this dictionary like eg. this ending .../dictionaries/dicthtml-de.zip, replacing de with pt, but it doesn't work. Maybe later!
Thanks. Added to the Direct Links to Kobo Dictionaries thread.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #86
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboaya View Post
In Japan, seems to be released 2.2.1.
Download link is unknown.

Do not you know the ice hockey players whose names begin with 'd'?
Love it! Looking at the other names I'd suspect "daneyko" or "damphousse".
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #87
azbdsf
Aka Redfish
azbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo touch
Always no link for Kobo mini firmware ?
azbdsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #88
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbdsf View Post
Always no link for Kobo mini firmware ?
I don't have a mini, and no one has posted if the mini uses the Touch or Glo or its own firmware.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:27 AM   #89
cypherpunk
cypherpunk is a jewel in the roughcypherpunk is a jewel in the roughcypherpunk is a jewel in the roughcypherpunk is a jewel in the roughcypherpunk is a jewel in the roughcypherpunk is a jewel in the roughcypherpunk is a jewel in the roughcypherpunk is a jewel in the roughcypherpunk is a jewel in the roughcypherpunk is a jewel in the roughcypherpunk is a jewel in the rough

Device: kobo mini
I won a Kobo mini as a prize at a corporate Christmas party today, so this is a bit of a brain dump of the first hour of playing with it. I am a Mac user, but pretty much everything should be the same for Linux users as well. Please forgive me, if I posted in the wrong thread.

For what it's worth, current (2012.12.10) firmware for English (Canadian) kobo mini, is 2.1.5, and the download link is:
Code:
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwares/kobo4/brodeur/kobo-update-2.1.5.zip
(Wrapping in "code" tags, so that entire URL would show)

Kobo.app (on a Mac OS 10.7), sends the following User-Agent (no idea if there is a User-Agent check on the site, but probably best to send it, so that they don't find anything amiss):
Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X10_7) AppleWebKit/534.34 (KHTML, like Gecko) Kobo Desktop Edition Safari/534.34
A Linux/MacOS command to download the update, that works for me is:
Code:
curl -o kobo-update-2.1.5.zip -A "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X10_7) AppleWebKit/534.34 (KHTML, like Gecko) Kobo Desktop Edition Safari/534.34" http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwares/kobo4/brodeur/kobo-update-2.1.5.zip
You can force re-download of the OS update by Kobo.app by editing
.kobo/version on the device.

It should look something like:
Code:
N7052A3001234,2.6.35.3,2.1.2,2.6.35.3,2.6.35.3,00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000340
the third value, in the above case 2.1.2, is the current firmware on the device.

If you edit that value, to read something lower then current firmware, Kobo.app will re-download. Firmware that Kobo.app downloads gets saved to ~/Library/Application Support/Kobo/Kobo Desktop Edition/ and gets deleted once it gets copied to .kobo/ folder
Best way to preserve it (on Linux or MacOS), is place a hard link to the file as it is being downloaded.
Code:
ln kobo-update-2.1.5.zip kobo-update-2.1.5-mini.zip
(substitute names as appropriate, of course) Kobo.app will delete the original file, but you will still have it thanks to the hard link.

You can use tcpdump to capture the process of checking the connection to the mothership, and thus extract the download link. Note that I haven't figured out what file Kobo.app checks on download.kobobooks.com to see if update is necessary. It is, probably, worthy of investigation.

To do the packet capture, I run the following as root (my network device was WiFi, en1):
Code:
tcpdump -i en1 -s 1500 -w /tmp/capture.pcap
then run Kobo.app

Above tcpdump command would write all network traffic to the log file in /tmp/capture.pcap Once Kobo.app started downloading update, just ^C the tcpdump comand, and parse the .pcap file.

Windows users can attempt to do the packet capture using a program called "Winpcap". I don't have much experience with it, so you will need to read up on it yourself.

While the .pcap file is standard, and trivial to parse using tools such as EtherShark, you can simply run something like
Code:
strings /tmp/capture.pcap | grep update | less
to figure out the download link (Again, Windows users will need either EtherShark, or cygwin installed. Sorry).

As far as I can tell, the following activates Kobo mini without need for Kobo.app, as expected (substitute where you mount the Kobo disk as appropriate)
Code:
$ sqlite3 /Volumes/KOBOeReader/.kobo/KoboReader.sqlite
sqlite> INSERT INTO "user" VALUES('foo','bar','baz','hoge','piyo'); 
sqlite>^D
If you already used Kobo.app (say, to download the update), but still want to activate manually, chances are, that the above sqlite3 command will return an error, saying that the table 'user' has 7 fields. In that case, use the following padded INSERT statement instead:
Code:
INSERT INTO "user" VALUES('foo','bar','baz','hoge','piyo','','');
Once again, sorry, if this is a bit disorganized, and I hope that this is somewhat useful to anyone with a new mini. I haven't yet looked into what is required to mod the firmware updates for mini yet.

Update: KoboRoot-telnet-ftp.tgz upgrade package from here happily installs on Kobo mini with 2.1.5 firmware. It enables telnet without any problems. I haven't tested if FTP works, but with working telnet it can't be that hard to fix if it's broken.

Last edited by cypherpunk; 12-11-2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: (missed a / in one of the paths, and added bit about enabling telent)
cypherpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #90
murg
No Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherpunk View Post
For what it's worth, current (2012.12.10) firmware for English (Canadian) kobo mini, is 2.1.5, and the download link is:
Code:
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwares/kobo4/brodeur/kobo-update-2.1.5.zip
So the Mini is using the Glo firmware (for now).

Last edited by murg; 12-16-2012 at 03:33 PM.