Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
Devon
Enthusiast
Devon began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle
Idiot directions for Igorsk's Mobipocket workaround

I am sorry I am ignorant about Python, but how do I use the scripts. I have two computers - One Mac and one pc (vista) Directions please.

Have I mentioned today that I hate Vista!
Old 01-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello Devon, I'm sure someone here will give you a hand soon. LOL about Vista
Advert
Old 01-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
bchowdhr
bchowdhr began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
I am, in particular, interested in finding out how books I bought for Kindle can be read on a computer using Mobipocket reader. Reading the forum seemed to suggest that this was indeed feasible but I also need "Idiot" instructions.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchowdhr View Post
I am, in particular, interested in finding out how books I bought for Kindle can be read on a computer using Mobipocket reader.
This isn't possible. The knowledge necessary to break the Kindle's DRM is out there, both for adding MobiPocket PIDs and for completely removing the encryption, but no one has made such software available so far as I know. It would definitely be illegal in the US to make such software available. Note that Amazon could easily allow this, but unless they do so the AZW files are locked down to particular Kindle's only.

What Igorski's workaround does is the reverse: it makes DRMed MobiPocket e-books you purchased available on the Kindle. This is (probably) legal if the site you bought the MobiPocket e-book from adds the Kindle's PID for you, as required by the workaround. Note that some sites will reject the Kindle PID as invalid.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
bojan
Enthusiast
bojan is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Arghh...., ignore...

Last edited by bojan; 01-01-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Advert
Old 01-01-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
bojan
Enthusiast
bojan is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
This isn't possible. The knowledge necessary to break the Kindle's DRM is out there, both for adding MobiPocket PIDs and for completely removing the encryption, but no one has made such software available so far as I know. It would definitely be illegal in the US to make such software available. Note that Amazon could easily allow this, but unless they do so the AZW files are locked down to particular Kindle's only.
Somebody probably has it

But your are right that it's probably a legal issue of releasing it.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #7
somebuddy
somebuddy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Okay, but how about still giving us the idiot's directions for using Igor's Python script to generate a PID? I'd just like to "unlock" my Kindle so I can start using the PID to download stuff from other sites.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:14 PM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebuddy View Post
Okay, but how about still giving us the idiot's directions for using Igor's Python script to generate a PID? I'd just like to "unlock" my Kindle so I can start using the PID to download stuff from other sites.
In this thread in post four I wrote down exactly how I got the scripts to work. It took me a couple of days because I had to figure it out.

You have to do both scripts. The first script tells you your Kindle ID. Then you go to non-MobiPocket resellers (fictionwise, ebooks, and booksonboard are three that I know of that use different servers) and enter that PID in your personal settings. Each site is a little different.

Then you download your DRMed mobi books with your Kindle PID inserted. *But* the files still need to be massaged so that's why you run the second script.

The downside to using these scripts is that, at least in my experience, the vast majority of files will not show the title and/or the author on the Kindle. That's why you need to use MobiPerl. MobiPerl has a set of executable files so you don't have to download Perl and install that.

HTH, and I hope this is a little logical since I'm on day 3 of the flu and am seeing lots of pretty hallucinations.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #9
somebuddy
somebuddy began at the beginning.

Woo hoo! I got it to work! Reading my library books as I type this! Thanks for the instructions. It's so obvious once one knows to run the scripts in the DOS prompt!

So one final questions - what's the prc.py script for?

Thanks,
Mer
Old 02-09-2008, 02:30 AM   #10
snookums
Connoisseur
snookums doesn't littersnookums doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebuddy View Post
Woo hoo! I got it to work! Reading my library books as I type this! Thanks for the instructions. It's so obvious once one knows to run the scripts in the DOS prompt!

So one final questions - what's the prc.py script for?

Thanks,
Mer
It's a helper file that kindlefix.py calls on to read and write mobi files.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #11
j2jensen
j2jensen began at the beginning.

Windows Version of Igorsk's scripts

I wrote an easy-to-use Windows Version here.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #12
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You cannot use a Kindle PID with Fictionwise Secure Mobipocket books. It will not accept the asterisk in the PID. They used to, but changed a year or so ago.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #13
PERSISTENCE
PERSISTENCE began at the beginning.

Device: NONE
HOW TO CONVERT KINDLE FILES

There are now files available to convert kindle files (azw format).

Google 'UNLOCK AZW' and go down the page. I can't tell you which one of the responses...one of the early ones will provide instructions AND files required to convert kindle files.

You need unlock the AZW file (the DRM protection) to convert the file. So this will answer your question....it's now possible to do, and there are files available. It's a pain but if you're familiar with python, you'll be fine.

Good luck.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This thread is almost four years old. It's a complete waste of time replying to it now!

Closed Thread