Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 01-30-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
Random, unpredictable failure to connect

For some reason CC fails to connect to Calibre about 40 to 50% of the time for me. Both are up to date as of today. When this happens, CC suggests I check my IP address and port...which are always fine. To fix this, I usually only need to close and restart Calibre, but sometimes I have to reboot my laptop (windows 7 ultimate.)
Any ideas why? Or how to fix?
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:27 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It is hard to guess what might be happening without knowing much more about your configuration. That said ...

Have you entered and IP & port into CC? If so, and if this is required to work, then we can assume that something is a bit odd with your network. In particular, something is blocking CC's network broadcasts to find calibre. Whatever that "something" is might also be getting into the way.

Another possibility: CC will wait some 3 or 4 seconds for an answer from calibre. If the laptop is busy or must come out of a sleep or must be loaded from virtual memory then it might take longer than that for calibre to respond. If a connection fails, does another attempt also fail? If you bring calibre up to the foreground before attempting to connect, does it work?

Debug logs might help determine which component is seeing what. CC's debug logs probably extend far enough back to capture a failure, so if you send one to me (erase the multipie.co,uk address) I might be able to give more hints. Of course it might also say nothing of interest meaning I might need a calibre debug log as well, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:14 PM   #3
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
It is hard to guess what might be happening without knowing much more about your configuration. Mike-> Win7 Ultimate, 64-bit
That said ...

Have you entered and IP & port into CC? Mike-> Yes. I see there is a 'try autoconnect if IPaddress is not found" option. Should I enable that?
If so, and if this is required to work, then we can assume that something is a bit odd with your network. In particular, something is blocking CC's network broadcasts to find calibre. Whatever that "something" is might also be getting into the way.

Another possibility: CC will wait some 3 or 4 seconds for an answer from calibre. If the laptop is busy or must come out of a sleep or must be loaded from virtual memory then it might take longer than that for calibre to respond. If a connection fails, does another attempt also fail? If you bring calibre up to the foreground before attempting to connect, does it work?
Mike-> When it fails, the PC is awake, and Calibre has been started either manually by me, or automatically via windows task scheduler. I do not believe the issue is an overloaded PC because it seems fine when I've sat down in front of it and tried to sync and figure this out...

Debug logs might help determine which component is seeing what. CC's debug logs probably extend far enough back to capture a failure, so if you send one to me (erase the multipie.co,uk address) I might be able to give more hints. Of course it might also say nothing of interest meaning I might need a calibre debug log as well, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.
debug log has been sent. Many thanks for your time and effort, however this comes out!
Old 01-31-2015, 06:05 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have looked at the log. It begins on 24/Jan. I am providing the dates and times in case that helps jog your memory about anything that changed either on the calibre machine or your home network.

On 24/Jan you were using automatic connections (no IP address in CC), and several connections worked.

The first failure I see occurred on 26/Jan at 12:37. Calibre is clearly running because it responded to the zeroconf (MDNS) query from CC, providing an IP address and port. However, the wireless device driver in calibre did not respond to CC's broadcast query, which means that either calibre didn't hear the broadcast or that something prevented it from responding. At that point you entered into CC the IP address of the computer running calibre. It still failed, and continued to fail until you did something on the calibre machine at 12:41 that took around 20 minutes .

At this point connections worked until 28/Jan at 17:12. You did something between 17:15 and 17:26 that fixed it. It worked for 2 connections then failed again at 17:37. It worked again at 17:46.

The next failure is on 30/Jan at 10:08. There were 2 failures, then it worked at 10:10 and continued to work until the end of the log.

Note that you didn't restart CC between most of the failures, which implies that the problem is on the calibre side.

First, I suggest that you remove the IP address from CC (reset to defaults). The CC log shows that if an auto-connect fails then a connect to a specific IP address will fail. Having CC send the broadcasts could help debug what is going on.

Guessing (and only guessing) I suspect that some network security suite on your computer is deciding that calibre is doing unusual network things and is therefore evil. Some of the security software watches for connection or traffic patterns. Have you recently updated or changed this software?

Another possibility is that the computer is running out of network resources. Is it possible that some kind of download manager might be running when the failures occur? Or some kind of torrent manager?

A calibre debug log might provide some more information. In particular it would tell us if it received the broadcasts but failed to answer or if it didn't receive the broadcasts. Instructions for getting a calibre debug log are in our FAQ answer "How do I get help?". Because the failures are intermittent you will need to start calibre in debug mode and let it run that way until a connection fails. At that point send the calibre log to me at cc_debug_logs at charles dot haleys dot org, and also send another CC debug log.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:06 AM   #5
NSILMike
Guru

thanks. see my embedded replies and comments...
Quote:
I have looked at the log. It begins on 24/Jan. Mike-> Probably because on 20 January, Google replaced my 2012 Nexus 7 due to Android 5.0.2 totally trashing it. All apps were reinstalled around that time.
I am providing the dates and times in case that helps jog your memory about anything that changed either on the calibre machine or your home network.

On 24/Jan you were using automatic connections (no IP address in CC), and several connections worked. Mike->Yes, I left it 'as installed' until I ran into trouble. The reason I check the IP address and port when this happens is that the CC error msg suggests that as a possible cause. But, matching addresses with Calibre is not enough -when it fails- to correct the issue. Sometimes (rarely) restarting Calibre can do it, other times a laptop reboot is required.

The first failure I see occurred on 26/Jan at 12:37. Calibre is clearly running because it responded to the zeroconf (MDNS) query from CC, providing an IP address and port. However, the wireless device driver in calibre did not respond to CC's broadcast query, which means that either calibre didn't hear the broadcast or that something prevented it from responding. At that point you entered into CC the IP address of the computer running calibre. It still failed, and continued to fail until you did something on the calibre machine at 12:41 that took around 20 minutes . Mike-> Not sure why it took 20 minutes, but I strongly suspect I was doing a reboot. Probably shut down email, and skype, which I use almost continuously.

At this point connections worked until 28/Jan at 17:12. You did something between 17:15 and 17:26 that fixed it. It worked for 2 connections then failed again at 17:37. It worked again at 17:46. Mike->Reboots.

The next failure is on 30/Jan at 10:08. There were 2 failures, then it worked at 10:10 and continued to work until the end of the log.

Note that you didn't restart CC between most of the failures, which implies that the problem is on the calibre side.

First, I suggest that you remove the IP address from CC (reset to defaults). The CC log shows that if an auto-connect fails then a connect to a specific IP address will fail. Having CC send the broadcasts could help debug what is going on. Mike-> Done, just now, and tested. It connects.

Guessing (and only guessing) I suspect that some network security suite on your computer Mike-> Windows firewall, and Avast Antivirus. Avast is not logging any warnings or suspect events. is deciding that calibre is doing unusual network things and is therefore evil. Some of the security software watches for connection or traffic patterns. Have you recently updated or changed this software? Mike-> No, although windows update is running, and Avast updates its signatures and occassionally the engine as well, of course.

Another possibility is that the computer is running out of network resources. Is it possible that some kind of download manager might be running when the failures occur? Or some kind of torrent manager?Mike-> No, and don't have or use any. And typically when this happens, I sit at the PC and try a couple of times, including restarting Calibre, and then give up and reboot. When I am doing that, I am sitting less than a meter from the wifi access point.

A calibre debug log might provide some more information. In particular it would tell us if it received the broadcasts but failed to answer or if it didn't receive the broadcasts. Instructions for getting a calibre debug log are in our FAQ answer "How do I get help?". Because the failures are intermittent you will need to start calibre in debug mode and let it run that way until a connection fails. At that point send the calibre log to me at cc_debug_logs at charles dot haleys dot org, and also send another CC debug log.
Sigh... but thanks for your 'over the top' attention and support.

Last edited by NSILMike; 01-31-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:02 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

I am hoping that no news is good news. Are things working?
Old 02-03-2015, 08:51 AM   #7
NSILMike
Guru

Quote:
I am hoping that no news is good news. Are things working?
Yes, at least for 3 to 4 days now. Question is, why...? I have made no changes other than a flash update (that I think came after the last episode...) Perhaps setting the connection back to auto IP address is the solution?
I have always thought -due to the randomness of the event- that there is some action I take, some app I run, etc. that is killing some process that CC or Calibre require to sync. The 100% certain fix has always been a reboot.
I probably overstated the frequency of the event in my first post. A more accurate frequency of occurrence might be to say it comes in episodes where for a few days it happens frequently, and then it goes away for a while..

Last edited by NSILMike; 02-03-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:42 PM   #8
NSILMike
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
Yes, at least for 3 to 4 days now. Question is, why...? I have made no changes other than a flash update (that I think came after the last episode...) Perhaps setting the connection back to auto IP address is the solution?
I have always thought -due to the randomness of the event- that there is some action I take, some app I run, etc. that is killing some process that CC or Calibre require to sync. The 100% certain fix has always been a reboot.
I probably overstated the frequency of the event in my first post. A more accurate frequency of occurrence might be to say it comes in episodes where for a few days it happens frequently, and then it goes away for a while..
Still good!
Old 02-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Still good!
Perhaps the problem was actually on the N7 and the reflash fixed it. Stranger things have happened.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #10
NSILMike
Guru

If by reflash you mean the (adobe) flash update, that was on the PC side of course. I think it more likely that it was the IP address/port setting.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:53 PM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If by reflash you mean the (adobe) flash update, that was on the PC side of course. I think it more likely that it was the IP address/port setting.
Ooops. I read "flash update" as flashing the N7. You are right, updating Flash can't have any impact of CC.

Here's hoping that things continue to work.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:56 PM   #12
NSILMike
Guru

Quote:
Ooops. I read "flash update" as flashing the N7. You are right, updating Flash can't have any impact of CC.

Here's hoping that things continue to work.
Agreed...however, I do not trust Adobe enough to just blindly install their updates upon release. I can't imagine it affecting CC, but I can imagine it affecting processes on the laptop side that might interfere with Calibre... (but apparently not in this case.)
Old 02-10-2015, 12:14 PM   #13
NSILMike
Guru

Quote:
Still good!
And, still good. My suspicion is getting stronger that changing back to auto IP address and port solved this.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:06 PM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
And, still good. My suspicion is getting stronger that changing back to auto IP address and port solved this.
Clearly something made a difference. Hard to know what exactly, but given what you changed and what happened, your theory makes sense.

If it breaks again then post again. We might be able to figure out what is causing the problems. Until then, enjoy reading.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:41 PM   #15
NSILMike
Guru

Quote:
Clearly something made a difference. Hard to know what exactly, but given what you changed and what happened, your theory makes sense.

If it breaks again then post again. We might be able to figure out what is causing the problems. Until then, enjoy reading.
Enjoy reading...? Do you mean that's what this app is really for...?