Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 04:46 AM   #1
Miles Teg
Miles Teg began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad
Price of display replacement

Hi,
almost 1.5 years ago, the display of my iLiad broke. At this time, the prize for replacement was around 275€.
Does anybody knows, if this is still the actual prize for replacement? I mean, at least theroretically, it must be cheaper now to produce an Eink display.
Thanks in advance.
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Teg View Post
Hi,
almost 1.5 years ago, the display of my iLiad broke. At this time, the prize for replacement was around 275€.
Does anybody knows, if this is still the actual prize for replacement? I mean, at least theroretically, it must be cheaper now to produce an Eink display.
Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure you can get them replaced anymore. I haven't heard much information yet on what type of support the new company will have for the older devices. What I've read is that they're only going to support the DR800, but I don't know if that means warranty/repair work, or new firmware, or if it's even true.

I also believe, even before the Bankruptcy, that availability of replacement screens was difficult to come by. IOW, it probably is cheaper, but I don't know if PVI is making displays for iLiads anymore.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Miles Teg
Miles Teg began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad
Hi,
thanks for the help. I already tried to login at the Support, but my old login is not accepted and I am unable to create a new one (not permitted, don't know why).
Does anybody know, if there is the possibility to get screens elsewhere? I am convinced, I would be able to change it myself...
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Teg View Post
Hi,
thanks for the help. I already tried to login at the Support, but my old login is not accepted and I am unable to create a new one (not permitted, don't know why).
That happened to everybody when they were in Bankruptcy. They suspended their tech support operations due to legal issues, and deactivated all of the accounts.

Quote:
Does anybody know, if there is the possibility to get screens elsewhere? I am convinced, I would be able to change it myself...
I don't think you're going to get them from anybody but iRex. They've always had their own custom displays. It's not like the other 6" eInk device manufacturers where most of them are using the same one. The best you could probably do is find another used iLiad somewhere that was either working, or at least had a good screen for spare parts.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard

The other option would be to wait until the new company starts operations (sometime around the beginning of September, last I heard) and then contact them. I don't know if they'll be doing repair/replacement work on iLiads, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Advert