Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-16-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
Gillyhappyy1
Gillyhappyy1 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
I'm a newbie with an iPad.

Someone suggested this message board to help me. Is there anyway to download ebooks on to the iPad?
Gillyhappyy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
What kind of books? Public domain? Purchased books?
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
There are many, many ways. Free books, cheap books, expensive books, all are available.

First, find the applications that will allow you to read. They are free. iBooks, Amazon, Kobo, Stanza to name a few of the more important ones. All offer some free books. You have to do a lot of browsing, but it's worth it. All apps explain procedures on how to acquire books from them. My favorite is Stanza. They give you access to BooksOnBoard and SmashWords.

Possibilities are endless. Just start somewhere to get the ball rolling.

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 07-17-2010 at 12:02 AM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:14 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
You have no end of ways to download free or paid-for books into your iPad, Gilly, in many formats. For well presented classics and public domains free of charge, you could do a lot worse than starting right here at Mobile Read, where there's an extensive library contributed to by members. Good to have your company. Happy reading. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
To answer your question, download the epub file to your computer, then drag and drop directly to iTunes. ITunes will automatically add it to there book section. If you haven't downloaded iBooks app, go ahead and download it to your iPad. Finally sync your iPad with your computer and iTunes will drop your epub books into your iPad for you. Disconnect and open up your iBooks app and there they are, ready for reading. One of my favorite web sites for books is www.feedbooks.com
Enjoy your reading!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
rrburton
Connoisseur
rrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad
Ms Astoria's advice is right on. That is the classic way. If you have Stanza ( or some other apps) loaded it can be as simple as clicking right from the iPad itself. I just did that now for three or four free books I found discussed in the author promotion section. In there they had links to their book's smash words page, once there click the download to stanza link and bob's your uncle, you have the book. Can't be easier than that
rrburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Dropbox is amazing there too.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillyhappyy1 View Post
Someone suggested this message board to help me. Is there anyway to download ebooks on to the iPad?
Gilly, a real easy way to do this is to open the applications tab on your iPad desktop. You should already have iBooks loaded but in the applications you can find the Kindle app, the B&N e-reader, and a Borders e-reader available. All of them are free applications. For now, I find that I use the Kindle application more than the others. I like its features the best, but that is just me. Make sure you have your WiFi or 3G turned on when you open applications and when you want to download books. You can turn it off after you downloaded the books. That will help with battery life. After you download the apps you need to have an account with Amazon, B&N, or Borders to download books (even the free ones).

Good luck and enjoy your iPad!
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #9
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
I have a folder on my desktop with my books in it. It sync's when I do my regular sync/backup routine. Then, they are in my ibooks file when I open it up

It is easy to link a particular folder to the Ipad book cycle. I handle my photos the same way. Any photo I want on the Ipad, I drop in the "sync" folder, which by default becomes a backup.
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote