Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-13-2009, 03:46 AM   #1
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Conversion Corruption?

Hello! I have been trying to convert a mobipocket (.prc*) to Word or PDF but not been successful so far.

The file had DRM when I bought it (mobishop). I think I successfully stripped the DRM though (at least according to the information from the stripping program and from the eBook reader software.) The file is completely intact withoug the DRM - no damage.

But then when I try to convert the file to PDF, Word ot HTML I get only meaningless characters! I tried two separate programs and several different formats.

I thought at first it was a character set issue, but it doesn't seem like it - I checke absolutely everything.

First time I do this, so I could really use some advice - what could be wrong?
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:52 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've replied to you in the other thread that you posted on the subject, here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65296

I suggest that we carry on the discussion in your original thread. It's confusing to have duplicates.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Harry, apologies about the mixup with dual posts. Please would you be able to delete the other thread which has a very confusing title?
========================================

Here is a summary of the problem that I am asking for help with:

1) I bought a Mobipocket book that I need for language studies, in a different format than what it is currently in. (Need it in Word).

2) I installed Python 2.6 and the latest build of MobiDeDrm. I ran it successfully (I think) aganst the book. MobiDeDRM.

3) I can open the de-DRMd book in Mobipocket Reader and get a confirmation that the file no longer has any DRM. The file behaves normally in. Mobopocket reader.

4) However I don't seem to be able to open the file in any other PRC reder. I also cannot manage to convert the file into Word or PDF.

5) When I look at the file it is only displaying a lot of special characters where the text ought to be... This text is in English -- otherwise I would immediately have suspected a charset issue.

Clearly I am doing something wrong --- but what?
Old 12-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No problem - I've closed the other thread.

What tools are you using to convert the Mobipocket file to other formats?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.

I tried plenty of converters. Same problem with all. The ones I tried were:

These produce corrupted looking files, using strange symbols etc.
-ABC Amber Palm Converter
-Mobi2IMP (command line tool)

I open the DRM-free file and check in this program and see corrupted text
-yBook (just an alternative reader)
-eBook Publisher

However the same DRM free file is displaying FINE in the "official" software:
-Mobipocket Reader

I can't make heads or tail of this. Is the file corrupted or is all the other software useless? Why would it display fine in Mobipocket Reader with DRM removed, but display as garbage in the other readers and refuse to be converted? I using the same file for all of this.

I have done as much research as I can online.
I just don't know what to try next!

I think it is safe to say that I will not be buying any mobipocket books again unless I can find a safe way of getting rid of the DRM. Copyright lovers can say what they want - I've had enough.
Advert