152.3 mm (6") diagonal
Display Thickness: 1.2 mm
DPI: 166

Code:
Here it is compared a little easier:
width	height	s ratio	diag	wres	hres	r ratio	dpi
3.57	4.82	1.35	6.00	600	800	1.33	166
5.49	7.99	1.45	9.69	825	1200	1.45	150
I think it's kinda interesting they're switching the "standard" computer resolution ratios of 1.33 to something more in line of a 3/2 ratio.

I wonder how that will impact picture viewing and the like, ending up with white bars on the edges. Free flowing text obviously doesn't care, but for static-format PDF's, 11"/8.5" is 1.29, which is more inline with the K2's res.

Also, I dunno how much the 16dpi difference will impact the screen, but if some had problems with the fuzzies on the K2 pre-fonthack, it might be even worse on the 150dpi screen.
unrequited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrequited View Post
Also, I dunno how much the 16dpi difference will impact the screen, but if some had problems with the fuzzies on the K2 pre-fonthack, it might be even worse on the 150dpi screen.
Shouldn't be an issue. My iRex BE has 16 shades, and it looks noticeably sharper than my K2.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
unrequited
Zealot
unrequited doesn't litterunrequited doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Shouldn't be an issue. My iRex BE has 16 shades, and it looks noticeably sharper than my K2.
What? Not 16-shade grayscale, the 166dpi vs. 150dpi screen of the 9.7" screen.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrequited View Post
What? Not 16-shade grayscale, the 166dpi vs. 150dpi screen of the 9.7" screen.
Bleh, never mind, I was engaging in speed-reading....

But the answer may still be somewhat applicable:

the iLiad has 160dpi (6 less than the K2), yet it's still sharper and easier to read, to my eyes.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #5
DesiLinguist
Computational Linguist
DesiLinguist doesn't litterDesiLinguist doesn't litter

Device: iLiad BE, iPhone, Kindle DX
Hmm, this is interesting. The people at Engadget posted that they found the Kindle DX's font to be rendered darker than K2's.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/06/a...irst-hands-on/
DesiLinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Any word on whether this is a flexible screen? A rigid glass screen on a 9.7 inch sounds like it would be cracked in no time.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
Sonist
Apeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Any word on whether this is a flexible screen? A rigid glass screen on a 9.7 inch sounds like it would be cracked in no time.
The Kindle shell is pretty hard, so I doubt it would be much of a problem. The larger iRex devices also have a rigid glass screen, and I haven't noticed a lot of broken screen posts.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
unrequited
Zealot
unrequited doesn't litterunrequited doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 DX
Yeah, just throw a Boxwave anti-glare anti-scratch protector and then put it in a M-Edge or official case and it should be a-ok.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I seriously doubt anyone could tell the difference between 150 and 160 or 166 dpi. If the other device is sharper, it's software -- e.g. different font, more or less anti-aliasing, different shade of text.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:51 AM   #10
eboyhan
PandaMuse
eboyhan doesn't littereboyhan doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx, kindle touch SO, kindle fire, kindle fire hd8.9
Aspect ratios are interesting. For document and book reading we seem to prefer a "page" that is longer than it is wide (a ratio of approximately 1.3:1). Conversely, when viewing motion video we prefer an aspect ratio that is wider than it is tall -- the old television standard was 4:3, the current HDTV standard is 16:9.

As we go forward I would expect resolution (and dots per inch) to rise -- I'm not sure how the differences in aspect ratios will be handled. The automatic detection of physical orientation utilized in the Kindle DX, and in the Apple iPad to me is more annoying than helpful.
eboyhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:42 AM   #11
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
It can get quite annoying, indeed. It's more sensitive than the iPhone's accelerometer (no ipad here) and tends to switch orientation even with a slightest of tilting sometimes. Wish they include some settings to change the sensitivity.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #12
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiLinguist View Post
Hmm, this is interesting. The people at Engadget posted that they found the Kindle DX's font to be rendered darker than K2's.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/06/a...irst-hands-on/
So do I. I need the font hack installed on my K2 but the DX is fine without it.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote