Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-09-2022, 06:59 AM   #1
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Kindle firmware update 5.14.2

Firmware version 5.14.2 is now available for the 7th generation Paperwhite (PW3) and newer Kindles.

Quote:
Version 5.14.2 – January 2022

Here's what's new:

Performance improvements, bug fixes, and other general enhancements.
Installed on my Oasis. No obvious changes noticed so far.

Last edited by jhowell; 02-09-2022 at 07:07 AM.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:28 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I saw a report on Reddit of a user interface change that appeared some time after installing the new firmware. This is probably one of those features that is enabled remotely by Amazon.

A screenshot shows a scrollable list of recent books on the Home screen instead of just three. I wonder if the cover thumbnails in library list view are also present.

Last edited by jhowell; 02-09-2022 at 09:33 AM.
Advert
Old 02-09-2022, 10:59 AM   #3
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Firmware version 5.14.2 is now available for the 7th generation Paperwhite (PW3) and newer Kindles.

Installed on my Oasis. No obvious changes noticed so far.
I'm about to install it on my Basic. I just wanna confirm because I saw this in the instructions.

Quote:
After the update is complete, your Kindle automatically restarts. Plug your Kindle in to charge and let it sit overnight allowing your books to index.
It won't do that right? Like re-index my whole library? Cause I'm not looking forward to do that. Last time it took my Kindle 16+ hours to index

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
update: disregard that question. I finished installiing and it didn't index. Thank god.

Did you get the new UI changes after some time? Mine is still the same.

Last edited by hleo12; 02-09-2022 at 11:16 AM.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 11:29 AM   #4
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Note: if you're interested in jailbreaking your device in the near future, I'd put your device in Airplane Mode immediately. This update probably includes a fix for ..something interesting.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 11:43 AM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
These changes were described here a few months ago:

https://www.amazon.com/b/n=235994490...ge=en_US&ref_=

Quote:
An improved Home and Library experience (coming soon)
When in your Library, enjoy new filter and sort menus, a new collections view, and an interactive scroll bar.

On Home, access more (up to 20) of your recently read books with a left swipe
After updating, I did Sync and then Restart, and the changes showed up immediately. (Turns out that was unnecessarily: another Kindle changed on its own).

Okay, it is mostly what I was expecting. They have managed to use even more space and List view now only shows 4.1 items on 6” screen (still 5 on 7” screen) because they now include thumbnails, and Download is now a filter so you cannot toggle back and forth as before. Collections only have Grid and not List view. I dunno, List view looks nice but still wish there were an option to turn off the thumbnails.

On the plus side they have added Publication Date to sort options (and Ascending/Descending option), you can apply filters when viewing a collection, and the scroller with page buttons lets you jump around much more easily and intuitively than before with the ‘hidden’ Go To page/title/author feature (gone now). Where there are drop down menus, the text is larger, which some will appreciate.

Note the drop down menu that was labeled SORT is now unlabeled and separates the options into Sort and View options, just like the Kindle apps. So Collections is now a View option, and no longer a Sort option, and is no longer in the Filter options as before.

It would be nice if all of the scroll bars had page up/down buttons and scrollable position indicators (in the various scrollable panels though out the UI, including Notes, Contents, XRay, Home Screen, Kindle Store).

Home Screen is now just rows of scrollable stuff. Again, the scroll bar with the draggable position indicator seems nicer than having to drag somewhere on screen and maybe opening something by mistake.

No changes in Reading mode.

Well. I’m used to it already. I do like the scroller in Library, improves navigation. And I might even use Home a little more.

Last edited by tomsem; 02-09-2022 at 01:19 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2022, 11:45 AM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
Did you get the new UI changes after some time? Mine is still the same.
I have not gotten it yet. Amazon may be rolling out the change gradually to spread out the support calls that result from any UI change.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:47 PM   #7
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I have not gotten it yet. Amazon may be rolling out the change gradually to spread out the support calls that result from any UI change.
I always download the updates and side load and install them. I haven’t noticed any difference
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 01:20 PM   #8
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Collections only have Grid and not List view. I dunno, List view looks nice but still wish there were an option to turn off the thumbnails.
I'm confused about this one. Like, when you're only viewing collections, or inside a collection? Is list view still an option inside a collection?

--------------------------
I still don't have the updated home screen
Old 02-09-2022, 01:23 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I always download the updates and side load and install them. I haven’t noticed any difference
Is WiFi on? It updated on its own after about 10 minutes (screen was locked, when I unlocked it was there). It probably just wants to register that you have the update on there so as to remove the device from the update service queue.
Old 02-09-2022, 01:29 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by katadelos View Post
Note: if you're interested in jailbreaking your device in the near future, I'd put your device in Airplane Mode immediately. This update probably includes a fix for ..something interesting.
The fix is?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 01:42 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm confused about this one. Like, when you're only viewing collections, or inside a collection? Is list view still an option inside a collection?

--------------------------
I still don't have the updated home screen
Yes, when inside the collection you cannot select List as before. This is same as the Kindle apps.

But the Kindle apps do not have any Filter options when inside a collection, at least not yet. It’ll be interesting to see if those show up, and also if they move Downloaded to Filters for the Apps (one of the changes I don’t like so much). It’s annoying that you cannot even restrict what is shown to Downloaded books (with the Kindle apps), there’s only the checkbox to let you know which are downloaded.

Last edited by tomsem; 02-09-2022 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2022, 01:50 PM   #12
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Yes, when inside the collection you cannot select List as before. This is same as the Kindle apps.

But the Kindle apps do not have any Filter options when inside a collection, at least not yet. It’ll be interesting to see if those show up, and also if they move Downloaded to Filters for the Apps (one of the changes I don’t like so much).
Oh. So when inside a collection, you have the small thumbnail at the left and Title, Author, and percentage on the right? Or just large thumbnails?
Old 02-09-2022, 02:31 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Oh. So when inside a collection, you have the small thumbnail at the left and Title, Author, and percentage on the right? Or just large thumbnails?
It’s just large thumbnails
Old 02-09-2022, 02:47 PM   #14
ck2875
ck2875 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Here's some screenshots. It looks like the progress bar in the list view is no longer the dots.

Last edited by ck2875; 02-09-2022 at 02:50 PM.
ck2875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 03:06 PM   #15
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Well my PW5 doesn't have this home page
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote