Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-10-2020, 08:25 AM   #1
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Kindle firmware update 5.13.4

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW

Version 5.13.4 – December 2020

Here’s what's new:

Extended Home Feed: You can scroll further on Home and see up to 5 pages of content.

Amazon Kids and Amazon Kids+: Amazon FreeTime and Amazon FreeTime Unlimited are changing names to Amazon Kids and Amazon Kids+ in the coming months. There is no change to the benefits you enjoy and no action is required from you.

Performance improvements, bug fixes, and other general enhancements.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:36 AM   #2
melksnor
Goodest E-Reader
melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 500 / Kindle 5th / Kindle PW4
It's amazing how little functionality they add in between these versions.
melksnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2020, 11:54 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by melksnor View Post
Well, really there shouldn't have been ANY updates in years, except to fix bugs. It's a single use appliance.
Most of the new functionality seems related to marketing, and more recent previous updates simply did some stupid GUI changes.

There is too much SW released without proper testing and specified either by Graphic Design Hipsters clueless on GUI UX best practice (Esp Win8, Win10 and Android) or by Marketing idiots. Not considering the actual application and ease of use.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:34 PM   #4
melksnor
Goodest E-Reader
melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 500 / Kindle 5th / Kindle PW4
True, the only update I need is the damn cover-as-screensaver one
melksnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:35 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Well, really there shouldn't have been ANY updates in years, except to fix bugs. It's a single use appliance.
Most of the new functionality seems related to marketing, and more recent previous updates simply did some stupid GUI changes.

There is too much SW released without proper testing and specified either by Graphic Design Hipsters clueless on GUI UX best practice (Esp Win8, Win10 and Android) or by Marketing idiots. Not considering the actual application and ease of use.
Well, there's the increasingly aggressive hostility to third party applications.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2020, 01:21 PM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I guess I must be about the only one that doesn't care about a bunch extra stuff on my Kindle, I just read my books, and go on the next book. I believe in the old concept of keep it simple.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:11 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I guess I must be about the only one that doesn't care about a bunch extra stuff on my Kindle, I just read my books, and go on the next book. I believe in the old concept of keep it simple.
‘Keep it simple’ is a relatively new concept, made necessary by the proliferation of ‘more is better’.

That said, Extended Home Feed will be awesome! I’ve been waiting years for this feature!
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:02 PM   #8
fardeenah
Connoisseur
fardeenah began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4
Quote:
the only update i need
fardeenah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:13 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
You don't actually need this and as you don't have it, it's not getting updated.Now you may want it, but please don't be so hostile.

If you feel you really need the book cover as the sleep screen (It is not a screensaver), then get a Kobo as they have this as a feature.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:56 AM   #10
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
That is the explicit purpose of the Kindle and has been since day 1, so I guess you're in luck!

(The irony is, the device the Kindle was internally codenamed after -- and the reason why the name "fiona" hang around its internals for years -- the hyperadvanced contraption in Stephenson's _A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer_, was much less just like a book and much more a massive multimedia experience that would teach you everything you needed to know, whether you knew you needed to know it or not, responding to what you did on it in all sorts of ways which make Amazon's page-by-page logging seem utterly noninvasive -- only the Primer wasn't doing it to try to flog you more stuff but to make you a better person. I'm not sure if that doesn't make it even *more* creepy.)

Last edited by NullNix; 12-11-2020 at 11:00 AM. Reason: (added a line)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:17 AM   #11
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
How is it so many people like watching the "screensaver" ?
The device is really more for reading books.
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:26 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandulf View Post
How is it so many people like watching the "screensaver" ?
The device is really more for reading books.
I prefer to worry about font selection, sizing, weighting, margins that actually affect my reading experience. With a sleep cover, I seldom see the screen while my ereader is sleeping.

I wonder how much overlap there is with the "I need the book covers to be high res when I open the book" group?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:56 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For the life of me I am unable to figure out what this Extended Home Feed feature is. I assume it has something to do with Home Screen View (which I turn off) but even when I turn it on, it is not clear what Home Feed is or where I’m supposed to see ‘up to 5 pages of content’. HSV looks the same as I remember it previously (and remains just as useless to me).

Is this another of those features which show up only when Amazon decides to enable it?

Last edited by tomsem; 12-11-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:02 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Umm, how long has ‘Group Series in Library’ feature been there? (In Settings -> Device Options -> Advanced Options -> Home & Library)

I turned it on, but it doesn’t seem to do what I would expect, given the name of the option (which is to say, it seems to have no effect).

Last edited by tomsem; 12-11-2020 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:11 PM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I prefer to worry about font selection, sizing, weighting, margins that actually affect my reading experience. With a sleep cover, I seldom see the screen while my ereader is sleeping.

I wonder how much overlap there is with the "I need the book covers to be high res when I open the book" group?
I like my covers to be high res, but I don't use covers for screensavers on my Kobo. I installed a bunch of custom screensavers, mostly photos about plants and animals. I'm also satisfied with neutral screensavers on my Kindles. No yearning whatsoever for covers as screensavers.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote