Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
calail
Enthusiast
calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle PW; android; PC
Error: Failure to download metatdata...

I've been editing my library for the last week or so, ensuring that i have metatdata for each of my titles, including when it's missing, using the "Modify ePub" plugin (by KiwiDude - who ROCKS!), etc.

So, today, I started getting an error. After clicking download metadata on the edit metadata window, I get a popup that states: "Failure to download metadata. Click Show Details to see details.

I've since updated to the latest Calibre version (8.60), ensured my plugin was updated, and still get the same error. I've changed metadata options (source, fields, etc), and nothing has made a difference. It doesn't matter if my source file is a Mobi, ePub, with ISBN, title/author only.

I'm using Calibre-Portable, on a WinXP unit.

Anyone have any ideas?
calail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by calail View Post
I've been editing my library for the last week or so, ensuring that i have metatdata for each of my titles, including when it's missing, using the "Modify ePub" plugin (by KiwiDude - who ROCKS!), etc.

So, today, I started getting an error. After clicking download metadata on the edit metadata window, I get a popup that states: "Failure to download metadata. Click Show Details to see details.

I've since updated to the latest Calibre version (8.60), ensured my plugin was updated, and still get the same error. I've changed metadata options (source, fields, etc), and nothing has made a difference. It doesn't matter if my source file is a Mobi, ePub, with ISBN, title/author only.

I'm using Calibre-Portable, on a WinXP unit.

Anyone have any ideas?
Have you tried a different title?

What sources are configured Preferences: Metadata Download
You may have excluded too many alternates.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@calail - it would help if you posted a log from one of your books into a spoiler. That way we could see one of the title/author combinations and what reasons it is printing in the log for not finding a match.

Usually metadata downloads will stop working because either:
(a) the particular book you are looking up genuinely does not have a match (perhaps some cruft in the title and doesn't have an isbn or isbn isn't known)
(b) a temporary glitch on the target website - they do go down /have maintenance every now and then.
(c) a website redesign breaking the plugin. I'm not aware of any plugins broken at the moment, but again seeing exactly which ones you have enabled from the log will allow us to check.
(d) something has changed with your internet/proxy settings.
(e) a change to your firewall, blocking calibre's internet activity
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
calail
Enthusiast
calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Have you tried a different title?
Sorry I wasn't clear. It does not matter what title I attempt; I've tried at least a dozen; some with just title/author, some to include an ISBN, etc. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What sources are configured Preferences: Metadata Download
You may have excluded too many alternates.
Initially, the sources checked included Amazon, Fantastic Fiction, FictionDB, Goodreads, Google, IBNDB & Open Library. I have tried with only Amazon, only Goodreads, selected "Restore defaults" - nothing seems to impact the error.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
calail
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Usually metadata downloads will stop working because either:
(a) the particular book you are looking up genuinely does not have a match (perhaps some cruft in the title and doesn't have an isbn or isbn isn't known)
since I receive the error on any title, I don't think this is the issue. In fact, I've tested titles that I know I've obtained/downloaded metadata for in the past.

Quote:
(b) a temporary glitch on the target website - they do go down /have maintenance every now and then.
(c) a website redesign breaking the plugin. I'm not aware of any plugins broken at the moment, but again seeing exactly which ones you have enabled from the log will allow us to check.
understood - but then, I'd expect others would be complaining.
Quote:
(d) something has changed with your internet/proxy settings.
(e) a change to your firewall, blocking calibre's internet activity
hmmm.... these might be more likely. I'm at work - of course on my break - I'll have to test from home tonite.

Quote:
@calail - it would help if you posted a log from one of your books into a spoiler. That way we could see one of the title/author combinations and what reasons it is printing in the log for not finding a match.

...seeing exactly which ones you have enabled from the log will allow us to check.
well, you've stumped me there. I'll have to figure out how to do that and repost.

Thank you MUCH for your input!
Advert
Old 07-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you done your other metadata downloads from work previously? Usually work situations are problematic for calibre due to proxy servers which calibre has limited support for. I am completely unable to have calibre connect to the internet from my work - not a bad thing of course given I am supposed to be working there
Old 07-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
calail
Enthusiast

Quote:
Have you done your other metadata downloads from work previously? Usually work situations are problematic for calibre due to proxy servers which calibre has limited support for. I am completely unable to have calibre connect to the internet from my work - not a bad thing of course given I am supposed to be working there
ha! so, I'm not the only one updating my library on my breaks?

I have been connecting from the office in the past, as early as yesterday. But, it likely could be a change in our internet access. The error implied to me that it wasn't a connectivity issue, so I hadn't even considered it. But our IT folks are always making changes - the list of allowable sites changes daily some times.

Thanks again for your info - it's always an education when I post on the boards

Last edited by calail; 07-19-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
calail
Enthusiast

I thought I'd check in, just in case anyone is curious about the resolution to my issue. I tried downloading metadata from home early this morning, and it worked just fine using Amazon only. So, I added back a few other sources, and it still worked.

Seems to be working fine from the office too, so, no idea what the actual problem was, but all is good now.

Thanks again to those who responded!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
kiwidude

Glad to hear you got yourself sorted. Solar flares, gremlins, who knows
Old 07-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Glad to hear you got yourself sorted. Solar flares, gremlins, who knows
Or the IT department realized they cut off the CEO's daily dose
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote