Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Locating the System File in order to back up collections

Hi, I want to back up my Collections on my Kindle and from previous threads I know it is in the System File. Can anyone tell me whereabouts on my Kindle the System File is please?

I have displayed all hidden files but all I can see are the following folders:-

.active-content-data
audible
documents
linkss (I have installed the screen saver hack)
music
metadata.calibre

Any help would be really appreciated
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I believe it is called collections.json and is in a systems folder.

Sorry I can't be more helpful than that. Perhaps do a search for the file via your pc.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, unfortunately its the systems folder I can't locate. I have done a complete search of the Kindle via my PC and it isn't bringing it up.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
phil75070
Enthusiast
phil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
There is also a check box (two down) in Tools...Folder Options...View in Explorer that applies to protected "system files" and needs to be unchecked to display the System folder on the Kindle.
phil75070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks Phil, I have it now
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Note that collections are backed up to your Amazon account for each Kindle. If for any reason you need to restore them you can always get them from there.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:10 AM   #7
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Um no I don't think that's true -- only for books you actually bought from Amazon, surely? I always understood that any books you loaded independently (e.g. DRM-free MOBIs) will not show in Amazon's 'backup' listings.
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:26 AM   #8
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I make a backup of the whole contents of the Kindle; weekly or after major works on it, like collections.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
3bayjunkie
SPC
3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 (3g,black)
im confused. aren't all your books in the documents folder?
3bayjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:03 PM   #10
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bayjunkie View Post
im confused. aren't all your books in the documents folder?
Yes you are right, they are.

But this thread is talking about backing up the info held by the Kindle on collections you have created - not the contents of those collections.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

I asked as I have 6 pages of Collections on two seperate Kindles, (so 12 pages in total), it would be a nightmare having to create all my collections again!

Last edited by Josieb1; 12-30-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #12
3bayjunkie
SPC
3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
Yes you are right, they are.

But this thread is talking about backing up the info held by the Kindle on collections you have created - not the contents of those collections.
ok so now im curious too. has anyone answered this yet. and what is the address to the system folder?
Old 12-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
ok so now im curious too. has anyone answered this yet. and what is the address to the system folder?

Yes Phil sorted me out in the third post, here are my notes on what to do within Windows 7:-

In order to back up Kindle collections, save the Documents Folder for book content, and the ‘’collections.json’’ file from the System Folder, for the Collections listings. In order to display the System folder go to Control panel, Apperance and Personalisation, Folder Options, Show Hidden Files and Folder.

Uncheck ‘’Show Hidden File, Folders and Drives, and ‘’Hide Protected Operating System Files’’ After you take a copy of ‘’collections.json’’ restore defaults for the protected files in the Control panel.

This is necessary as the unchecking of ''Hide Protected Operating System Files’’ displays multiple copies of the same folder, so if you don't restore defaults it is confusing.

Last edited by Josieb1; 12-30-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:40 PM   #14
3bayjunkie
SPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post

Yes Phil sorted me out in the third post, here are my notes on what to do within Windows 7:-

In order to back up Kindle collections, save the Documents Folder for book content, and the ‘’collections.json’’ file from the System Folder, for the Collections listings. In order to display the System folder go to Control panel, Apperance and Personalisation, Folder Options, Show Hidden Files and Folder.

Uncheck ‘’Show Hidden File, Folders and Drives, and ‘’Hide Protected Operating System Files’’ After you take a copy of ‘’collections.json’’ restore defaults for the protected files in the Control panel.

This is necessary as the unchecking of ''Hide Protected Operating System Files’’ displays multiple copies of the same folder, so if you don't restore defaults it is confusing.
im using windows xp pro and it is already set to show hidden files. it doesn't show a folder called system.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:20 PM   #15
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bayjunkie View Post
im using windows xp pro and it is already set to show hidden files. it doesn't show a folder called system.
The option to show "protected system files" is a separate option than hidden files. It *should* be two items below the "hidden files" option in the view options list in XP.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup, collections, system