Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 12:37 AM   #16
Pickering
Connoisseur
Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3
another stand-alone novel

I just finished Swan Song and I really liked it. It's a post apocalyptic story with a little fantasy thrown in (a la The Stand).
Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:10 AM   #17
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Mystic River or Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane.

Of course, if you've seen the movies, a lot of the "punch" of these books will be lost.
I've seen Mystic River but not Shutter Island so I will give it a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickering
I just finished Swan Song and I really liked it. It's a post apocalyptic story with a little fantasy thrown in (a la The Stand).
I've been thinking of trying some post apocalyptic stuff. Never read any before but it seems like something that could work for me. Swan Song looks like a good place to start.

Thanks for the ideas.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 04:21 AM   #18
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Shutter Island really threw me for a loop! Loved it... I think.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #19
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
How about John Irving?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:32 AM   #20
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
I had actually forgotten about Neil Gaiman, having read American Gods but nothing else. So thanks for reminding me of such a great author.
Based on your tastes, I was just about to recommend "America Gods"

But I'd like to suggest:

"The end of Mr. Y" by Scarlett Thomas
From goodreads: "A cursed book. A missing professor. Some nefarious men in gray suits. And a dreamworld called the Troposphere? Ariel Manto has a fascination with nineteenth-century scientists—especially Thomas Lumas and The End of Mr. Y, a book no one alive has read. When she mysteriously uncovers a copy at a used bookstore, Ariel is launched into an adventure of science and faith, consciousness and death, space and time, and everything in between. [...] With The End of Mr. Y, Scarlett Thomas brings us another fast-paced mix of popular culture, love, mystery, and irresistible philosophical adventure."

"Fingersmith" or "Affinity" by Sarah Waters - gothic victorian thrillers with convoluted plots involving several layers of deception.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 10:06 AM   #21
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Lord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg. There are sequels but the first one works as a stand alone sci-fi novel.

The Princess Bride by William Goldman. I liked it much more than the movie.

Imajica by Clive Barker

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

A Night In the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny

Dune by Frank Herbert. It's better to pretend it's a stand alone novel.

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #22
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Lord Valentine's Castle
Dune by Frank Herbert. It's better to pretend it's a stand alone novel.
Sad but true. It really was a great read, and everything done afterwords to try to prolong it failed dismally, both book and movie.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #23
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I would recommend:

NO SECOND CHANCE by Harlan Coben
GONE FOR GOOD by Harlan Coben
A SIMPLE PLAN by Scott Smith
I AM LEGEND by Richhard Matheson

Four great books that I re-read at least once a year.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:14 PM   #24
Genaro Zamora
thriller tale
Genaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle app
Right off the back the only ones that I can think of would be,
Along came a spider and Kiss the girls.
Both by James Patterson.
But they may not classify as stand alone novels.

Many good ones are done in series.
Genaro Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #25
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I was going to recommend one of my favorite s-f books, Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes, and then it all went pear-shaped.

Flowers for Algernon (made into the movie Charly) is not available as an ebook!

This is inconceivable to me!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:39 PM   #26
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I was going to recommend one of my favorite s-f books, Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes, and then it all went pear-shaped.

Flowers for Algernon (made into the movie Charly) is not available as an ebook!

This is inconceivable to me!
Just one of many old backlist titles that have yet to see the light of day (at least not legally). I wonder if a publisher has digital rights to it or if they lie with the author.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 07-07-2010 at 11:42 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:54 AM   #27
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Thanks again for all the good suggestions everyone. I'm really looking forward to reading some stuff different to what I normally do.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:59 AM   #28
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
I like the classics. Tale of Two Cities by Chuckie Dickens, is a winner on my list.
I also just plowed through American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I'd highly recommend it, especially if you surrealism quota is a little low.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:04 AM   #29
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie.

Based in the same world as (and features some of the minor characters from) The First Law trilogy, but you don't have to have read the latter to enjoy it.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:38 AM   #30
goodscoolwf
goodscoolwf began at the beginning.

Device: none
If you really want to try some new style, perhaps you can give some attention to Tony Morrision, maybe not trendy, but always leave somewhat courage for life.
goodscoolwf is offline   Reply With Quote