Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #31
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
So, baseless supposition then.
I have seen the secret corporate memos. Beginning next month Sony will stop sales of all ereaders. Two weeks later they will erase all existing Sony ereaders from the space-time continuum. Your device list will say, "???error???, Motorola Xoom."
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #32
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Joke all you want, it doesn't look good for Sony and their readers. We will find out soon enough. In the end your money is on the line, not mine. Good luck!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #33
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Joke all you want, it doesn't look good for Sony and their readers. We will find out soon enough. In the end your money is on the line, not mine. Good luck!
My money is on the line? How? Even if your random guesses are correct, how will Sony going out of business stop my existing Sony Reader working? You're just starting to sound a bit silly now.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #34
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The newest Sony reader is now for sale, the PRS-T2. It looks fabulous!

Sony Style
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #35
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
My money is on the line? How? Even if your random guesses are correct, how will Sony going out of business stop my existing Sony Reader working? You're just starting to sound a bit silly now.
No worries for your 650. But when you buy a new device that is something else. There are service issues to consider. Sony will not go under, if things get really bad someone else will buy them. But the ereader division might well be cut. Just a fair warning, something to consider for the OP pondering what device to buy. I bought an Irex, so I had this exact same problem. Let us move on, time will tell who is right.

Last edited by HansTWN; 08-16-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Advert
Old 08-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sony is not going under. This is just silly to say that Sony will be going away.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #37
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sony is not going under. This is just silly to say that Sony will be going away.
I don't think they will, but they definitely will have to make major changes to return to profitability. And divisions that show little or no profits are usually the first to go. Anyway, enough of this for me.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #38
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The newest Sony reader is now for sale, the PRS-T2. It looks fabulous!

Sony Style
It looks nicer than the T1, but...... well that's it. Pretty underwhelming. At least it's the same size as the T1 so anyone who does fancy it won't need to buy a new cover too!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #39
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I hear Sony service is not great, Luckily I have never had a need to use it with any of my 3 Sony readers.

Amazon service is excellent,but I have had to use it twice with my mother's kindle 3.Both appeared to be hardware issues and about 2 hours of phone time each before they were resolved, but they were resolved.

Overall I prefer to go with the (in my experience) no hardware issues and the more consistent user interface of Sony(my collections/books are all in alphabetical order all the time)

Then again if the kindle was all there was I would have one and be quite happy with it.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #40
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Just a fair warning
"Somebody said, 'Fair warning'"...

I'm sorry. The rest of your post was overwhelmed by the awesomeness of Van Halen.

Maybe you said, "Now what you think is nothin' might be somethin' after all."

I would respond that "it's always here and now, my friend, it ain't once upon a time."

Of course, the only Sony I have is a PS2. Maybe that's why they're going broke.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #41
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
The T2 has to be the most underwhelming updates since there was those ipods that changed the color but nothing else.

Until eink can start innovating again or we have real competition I expect future updates from all brands to become gradually as mundane in their refreshes.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #42
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I would get the Sony T1 or T2 before I got the Kindle touch. I had a few moments to play with a working kindle touch display today. Didn't like it. I really like the buttons on my T1.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #43
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I hear Sony service is not great, Luckily I have never had a need to use it with any of my 3 Sony readers.

Amazon service is excellent,but I have had to use it twice with my mother's kindle 3.Both appeared to be hardware issues and about 2 hours of phone time each before they were resolved, but they were resolved.

Overall I prefer to go with the (in my experience) no hardware issues and the more consistent user interface of Sony(my collections/books are all in alphabetical order all the time)

Then again if the kindle was all there was I would have one and be quite happy with it.

Helen
SONY service has a terrible reputation. There must be great variation, because I had a wonderful experience.

I bought a 900 with a screen that faded a bit under the sun. I called them - but I was on vacation. They told me to send the unit when I came home. I ended up getting side-tracked and four months went by. One day, I scratched the screen pretty bad. So I called them to find out what my options were. The CS person said there was a note on my account saying the unit was meant to be replaced. So they gave me a refurbished unit - but it was 100% perfect, no way to tell it wasn't new. - Side note, of incompetence. A week later they sent me ONE MORE unit. I called them. Told them about it. They did not agree. I swear. It must be my accent, but the person on the other side kept explaining that they send me a refurb. I was trying to explain they sent me TWO. That just did not get across. You would think it simple.... but no. Long story short, they would just not take the unit. I still have them both. Never got charged. I guess that was nice, but not a sign of good CS.

Then another time I called them about a book I had just bought. It was some small amount... I think $2.99 or so. It was supposed to be some annotated version of some book. But it had no annotations. So I called, they refunded me $5.00 because, supposedly, they could not give less than five back. And they left me the book.

And, none of these calls took more than 10 min. No long waits or anything like that.

But I keep reading horror stories.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #44
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Yes, I really can't emphasise enough what an absolutely awful experience SONY customer 'service' has been for me. It got to a point where I swore I'd never by a SONY product again, and I still stand by that.

Having said that, I love my T1, and initially liked it more than my Kindle. Kindle has slowly won me over, though, with the sync across devices and the ease with which to download new books to the e-reader. I still use both because I shop at a lot of non amazon book shops, so I use my Kindle for Amazon and T1 for everything else.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote