Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-24-2011, 01:29 AM   #1
Denji
Denji began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
With all the terminals and such...

For the Kindle 3, I mean.

Do any of them connect to the wifi only? I mean, you know. I can do stuff online with it through wifi even though I have a 3G model.

If it's just USB networking then I'm not really interested.

Sorry to ask such a dumb question.
Denji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:03 AM   #2
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I'm not sure what you're saying, but the USBNetwork hack allows you to SSH over WiFi.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
The USBNetwork hack doesn't have anything to do with terminals, though.
Denji, all the terminal apps should allow connecting to a (virtual) terminal on the kindle itself, plus some of them have integrated means to connect to other machines via Wifi (and maybe 3G, but I cannot test that since my Kindle is Wifi-only). For the ones that provide access to a shell on the kindle itself, you can simply use "ssh" to connect to other machines, and that is via Wifi, too.

The USBNetwork hack will however provide you with software you may need. The Java-based terminals will need some means to get to a virtual terminal device, and this is easily done by running an SSH daemon or a Telnet daemon on your Kindle. The USBNetwork hack just happens to provide you with such a daemon. Also it provides an SSH client ("ssh" on the command line) which you probably need to connect to other machines via wireless networks.

But as for your question: Any terminal app/kindlet should do, since accessing other machines via network is more or less a secondary step after bringing up the terminal (with the notable exception of the terminal kindlet that has an SSH client built-in).
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote