Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 05:35 AM   #1
alexxx
Connoisseur
alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
kindle call home

always investigating on the possibility of a Kindle (DX) purchase, another thought bit me.
With the celebrated backlash from the "1984" removal, I'd like to know how I can be able to control the Kindle communications with "home".
Is it possible to disable it at all? I do not like Amazon to know what I am reading, what I am highlighting and so on.

BTW I live in Italy, so I'd be in contact just by wireless.

thanks for any help

alessandro
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:29 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Keep the wireless switched off permanently and rely on a connection to a PC or Mac for loading up your library. That way, you can guarantee that Amazon can't touch your Kindle. You'll also be missing a few useful features, but none of them is essential.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
alexxx
Connoisseur
alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thank you Mike - though I fear I'd miss the possibility to use Wikipedia.
I just found this https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51371 thread that seemed useful, but it seems to be nonworking for the recent firmware.

alessandro
Old 06-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alexx,

The firmware mod you mentioned is specifically flagged as not working on the international version, which is the one you will have.

I take your point about Wikipedia. If I were you, I'd keep the wireless switched on for occasional uses like Wikipedia, and off the rest of the time. That's mainly to conserve battery. I wouldn't be too bothered about Amazon knowing what I'm reading.

In fact, I don't have the choice as I have the US version of the Kindle and am outside US Whispernet range.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
All you need to do is ensure you have a backed up copy of your Kindle purchases on a PC out of reach of Whispernet. The "1984" thing was a one-off; anyone with a back-up was fine.

The "1984" thing was also a breakdown in understanding of geography and copyright. George Orwell's books are public domain in many places, including Canada and Australia; but not in the US. The PD vendor in this case had "rights" to sell the title -- but not in the US. When the US rights holder -- fully protected as the title in the US is NOT public domain, Amazon took steps to "correct" the problem. It ended in a public relations fiasco. But no one who wants the e-book today is denied a copy.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:31 AM   #6
alexxx
Connoisseur

well, I'm not a privacy nut, but from what I saw the Kindle sends home a) what you're reading, b) what you highlight, c) your notes, d) your geographical location.

From what I read b) and c) could be disabled, but a) and d) frankly bother me a lot...

alessandro
Old 06-16-2010, 07:19 AM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
well, I'm not a privacy nut, but from what I saw the Kindle sends home a) what you're reading, b) what you highlight, c) your notes, d) your geographical location.

From what I read b) and c) could be disabled, but a) and d) frankly bother me a lot...

alessandro
this topic has been done to death. really. Amazon is not tiptoeing through your Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aliens.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	53458  
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:12 AM   #8
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Keep the wireless switched off permanently and rely on a connection to a PC or Mac for loading up your library. That way, you can guarantee that Amazon can't touch your Kindle. You'll also be missing a few useful features, but none of them is essential.
You cannot really guarantee that even when switched off Amazon still does not connect and phone home.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:03 AM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
In Italy, Alex, as in France and other non-US countries (there are quite a few, I believe), the simple answer is not to buy a Kindle. Geographical restrictions and the cover price loading on titles is enough to put me right off -- never mind the potential for intrusion. There are better options. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:53 AM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorz View Post
You cannot really guarantee that even when switched off Amazon still does not connect and phone home.
how do you figure?
Old 06-17-2010, 06:55 AM   #11
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorz View Post
Surely not. How would it communicate without the wireless feature?
Old 06-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #12
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Surely not. How would it communicate without the wireless feature?
But the wireless on/off on the K2 is a software/menu feature rather than a hardware switch as on the K1 -- so I guess Amazon could turn it on/off for a brief "call home" even if the user has it turned off.

Note that I'm not saying that they do.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
But the wireless on/off on the K2 is a software/menu feature rather than a hardware switch as on the K1 -- so I guess Amazon could turn it on/off for a brief "call home" even if the user has it turned off.

Note that I'm not saying that they do.
they would have to have a way into it to access that switch. without some sort of hard connection or wireless handshake that isn't happening
Old 06-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #14
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
The Kindle isn't CALLING home all your notes and highlights, they're not secretly collecting this information for nefarious purposes or doing secret work for the government.

It's for YOU, the customer. It's a service. They HAVE to know what books you have on your device, you did purchase it from them, after all, you can't expect them not to keep a record. Same thing goes with notes and highlights, they back up your notes and highlights so if something happens to your Kindle, you don't lose your notes (and your books!).

If you don't like some entity that is providing you a service has access to information like that, you might as well sell your computer and cancel your internet. Because whoever you buy that from knows where you are, how long you're on the computer, what sites you visit...... oh, and same thing with the phone and credit card companies, too.

Last edited by Anarel; 06-17-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:08 PM   #15
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
The notes you are concerned about are a "synchronization" feature that backups your highlights, bookmarked, and notes. This data is kept in a MDP file with the same name as your eBook, with an MDP extension.

This backup only happens for books that you bought from amazon. If you wish to keep Amazon from backing up your annotations you can disable the feature by disabling the "Backup Annotations".

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote