Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 03:15 AM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Blossom, that sounds like you are really happy with it. You might want to try turn the light down even more - the pinkish aliens and how they float and disappear sounds an aweful lot like snow-blindness. The frontlight is a little bit weird - it looks exactly as if it was lit from the front (no pun intended), but from farther away. It is impossible to be frontlit like this with a lamp. There is no shadows, when you move the PW the light doesn't change.
It went away. I think my eyes were going crazy from the 22 bright light I had to endure when I was setting it up. Amazon needs to fix that! I keep it on 8 and it's perfect, just read 8 hours on it. I see spots and shadows in my vision all the time. I think they call them floaters. So bright light really messes with my eyes.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:19 AM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Hey Blossom, I got my PaperWhite today too! Read 75% of 2nd Shift: Order on it today, going to bed now and will finish it tomorrow.
Congrats! This is my first time of getting a Kindle and reading on it for that long the first night. This tells me it's perfect for my eyes. I will say there is no way to describe a front lit eReader. You have to experience it for yourself.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:27 AM   #18
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It went away. I think my eyes were going crazy from the 22 bright light I had to endure when I was setting it up. Amazon needs to fix that! I keep it on 8 and it's perfect, just read 8 hours on it. I see spots and shadows in my vision all the time. I think they call them floaters. So bright light really messes with my eyes.
Ah that is good to hear - when I read your post it sounded like you see that every time when you start reading.

And floaters are nasty. I hope you don't have cateracts - usually floaters are the first sign of future cataracts.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #19
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Blossom - it sounds like you're as happy with your new PW as I am with mine. After reading many of the comments here, I was somewhat reluctant to purchase the PW, but fortunately I have none of the problems others have had. There are a few minor shadows at the bottom of the screen, but the text area ends above the shadows, which aren't always visible anyway.

I usually keep the light on about 15, but occasionally I'll turn it all the way down just to compare, and I can't believe the difference. Even if there seems to be plenty of ambient light in the room, it still helps to use the light on the PW to make the background appear white rather than gray.

After owning the PW for only about 6 weeks, I have decided I will never purchase a reader without a front-lit screen again.

I'm glad you're enjoying your new PW, and hope you get many happy hours reading pleasure with it. Enjoy!

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #20
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
The PW is awesome! I don't have any complaints. I think my other Kindles are going to be sadly neglected.

I don't have a cover problem but I only use pdocs to read from. Being dyslexic I have to tweak a book before I can read it comfortably so it goes into Calibre and then I email it to my Kindle.
Yeah....I agree. I find I prefer reading on the PW to reading on my other e-ink devices.

What font do you prefer, futura?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #21
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Glad you like it, Blossom! My PW is my inside Kindle. I tend to take my Kindle Keyboard with me when I go out for the TTS. Course if I'm not in my car alone I'd probably prefer the PW. Oh wait, I guess the PW has traveled in the car at night... great for car reading.

My Fire 2 is a couch potato. LOL
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #22
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Congrats on your PW, Blossom!!
It is my only reading device now as well.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #23
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just got my Paperwhite! I was waiting patiently by the door. He usually gets here earlier but was running late.

First impressions. Wow it's so much heavier than my K4 and feels more heavier than my K3. I think it because it's so compact while the K3 is elongated. Compared to the K4 it's much thicker and hefty feeling. Compared to my KFv1 it's very light.

Warning: When you first turn the PW on for the first time the light will be all the way up. Still seeing spots here. It wont let you turn it down till after the setup and tutorial. Way too bright! I found 10 acceptable at first but now have it at 8.

The first thing I did was look for discoloration. I see none. Yay! I then took it into my closet of a bathroom that has no windows and turn out the lights. I was really happy with how nice it looked in the dark. Next I checked for specks and not a one.

I then had to play with the font settings. I am disappointed with how Baskerville and Palatino render on the PW. I was looking forward to trying them out. I love Palatino but on the PW it looks smooshed I do like Futura and it renders nicely. The fonts are not even close to being black like my K4B or K3. They remind me of my K4S but a tad lighter. However the light on the PW makes up for it so it seems to balance it out.

This is my first Touch eInk eReader so I was happy to find out the keyboard has autocorrect! I don't remember reading about it. It's also has a nice response time and easy to use compare to my tablets. I like it!

My only issue is not all my PDocs are showing in the cloud. Anyone else have this problem? When I went to download the latest one sent it wasn't there. I had to send it from the MYK page. I'll keep and eye on it.

I was a little worried about the new ad page but a tap at the bottom brings it back to my book. So it's not really an issue.

I also bought the Kindle Leather cover in Black for the PW. I got it for 40% off! It's a really nice cover. Adds a little bit of weight but the auto sleep feature makes it worth it. No more having to fight with the little button like I do on my K4B to wake it up. I love the outside texture on the cover. It makes it nice to hold. It took some pressure to snap the PW in place but it fits snugly. I don't think I will be reading the PW without it anytime soon.

All in all so far I am very happy. I have not went to my Favorite reading spot and tried to read yet but I can say after all the issues and threads I am happy I got one that has a good screen.

I will mention with my eyes when I turn on the PW I see pink shadowing that moves down the page. It goes away after awhile. I know this is my eyes and not the reader as it's moving. I don't think my eyes know what to make of a front lit type light. It's use to LCD. I am really sensitive to light so this is my only concern. I think my eyes will eventually adjust. I hope.
Congrats on the New Reader, Mine is arriving today with the same cover, this Xmas I bought a 8.9 Fire HD which I already Have and the Paperwhite which is coming
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #24
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just read my first book on it. Turn out to be 5 star one too. What luck! The first book of the year on my new PW and it was a really good book. So now I am in love with my new Kindle! I just read on it tonight for 8 hours! No eye issues, no color issues and I read from my favorite spot without the drowsy effect I get from my K4B.

What I love the most is the touch part. I never realized how much faster I could read on a Kindle without page buttons.

The cover is really nice. I don't even need to hold the Kindle to read. I can see it fine far away because of the light so it sat on my knee all night while I read. I will never miss page buttons again.

One thing I was most pleasantly surprise is how little it accumulates fingerprints compared to my tablets.

What Book ? Always looking for a 5 Star Book
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #25
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Congrats on your PW, Blossom!!
It is my only reading device now as well.
Same here! It's nice not to have to sync anymore.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #26
Slider1960
Connoisseur
Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle PaperWhite, iPad
Quote:
First impressions. Wow it's so much heavier than my K4 and feels more heavier than my K3. I think it because it's so compact while the K3 is elongated. Compared to the K4 it's much thicker and hefty feeling. Compared to my KFv1 it's very light.
I've got say, that's my only 'slight' irritation with my PW; it does 'seem' heavier. I've just tested and it comes in at only 30 grams more than my old Gen3 - and against instinct the weight is in the device not the case.

Otherwise I am really impressed with my PW and the whole experience.
Slider1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #27
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Ah that is good to hear - when I read your post it sounded like you see that every time when you start reading.

And floaters are nasty. I hope you don't have cateracts - usually floaters are the first sign of future cataracts.
I've had them for about 7 years now. I am sensitive to bright lights like sun light. I don't think I have cataracts. My eye doctor said it was nothing to worry about but if I look at the sun I get flashing lights for awhile. It probably has something to do with being anemic.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #28
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
Blossom - it sounds like you're as happy with your new PW as I am with mine. After reading many of the comments here, I was somewhat reluctant to purchase the PW, but fortunately I have none of the problems others have had. There are a few minor shadows at the bottom of the screen, but the text area ends above the shadows, which aren't always visible anyway.

I usually keep the light on about 15, but occasionally I'll turn it all the way down just to compare, and I can't believe the difference. Even if there seems to be plenty of ambient light in the room, it still helps to use the light on the PW to make the background appear white rather than gray.

After owning the PW for only about 6 weeks, I have decided I will never purchase a reader without a front-lit screen again.

I'm glad you're enjoying your new PW, and hope you get many happy hours reading pleasure with it. Enjoy!

SteveK
Thanks! If I compare the PW to my K4B without the light. The K4B wins hands down on contrast but with the light and non black text the PW is still easier to read on. Even with tired eyes I have no problems reading.

I read in the dark last night for about an hour and half. I had no problems. I brought it down to a 6. Hubby said it didn't bother him which was a relief. My original worry was the flash from the eInk might but it's barely noticeable.

I guess each unit is different but on mine 15 is too bright! 8 is perfect for normal lighting and 6 for dark reading.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #29
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Yeah....I agree. I find I prefer reading on the PW to reading on my other e-ink devices.

What font do you prefer, futura?
So far Caecilia Condensed is the font I use. Futura would be second it's a bit skinny but I think I could adjust. The other fonts with the exception of Helvetica are too wide and not space correctly and go dancing when I try to read on them. Amazon needs to work on fixing the other fonts when you up the font size they look really odd to read with.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Glad you like it, Blossom! My PW is my inside Kindle. I tend to take my Kindle Keyboard with me when I go out for the TTS. Course if I'm not in my car alone I'd probably prefer the PW. Oh wait, I guess the PW has traveled in the car at night... great for car reading.

My Fire 2 is a couch potato. LOL
I can't read in a car. I get car sick just looking at anything with words. I could listen to an audiobook though. I have a Sansa Clip Zip for that.