Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #106
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I just heard from one of my old MiniModding.com members who is currently playing with Android based media players.

If I can get him interested in the challenge in fast dithering ....

You might Blog or Article about the challenge of plugging GM code into the kernel e-ink driver layers where he can see it (I'll make it visible to him).
True. I should really attempt to document the issue properly.

SDL - where the get the fb info - what format it is in - etc.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #107
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
True. I should really attempt to document the issue properly.

SDL - where the get the fb info - what format it is in - etc.
Maybe some reference links to GM's work posted here as examples.

The person I have in mind knows writing kernel drivers. But if you want it in SDL, or a separate library, or ...

Just make a good description of the problem as you see it, I'll do what I can to push the page link in his direction.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:42 AM   #108
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
...if someone fuelled me with some decent usable (as in "I can gorram understand it enough to use it") Eink dithering code: I might be dangerous. ...
In that case, I do not see how you will understand my new code that does 32-bit pipelined dithering (4-pixels in parallel), with no dither table. It is unfinished, but my proof-of-concept code proves that it works. I hand-simulated it all on paper first, with truth tables and stuff...

I will TRY to squeeze in a few comments or something, to save twobob a few spare braincells.

The problem is, a "simple" multi-term logical expression takes a half page of comments to describe what is going on down in the bits, especially with hidden propagation of carries, and "do not care" bits. I takes longer to explain it that to just DO it...

EDIT: Although I use Karnaugh mapping and DeMorgan's Theorem to simplify the logical expressions so that they RUN faster, that refactoring removes them further from their first reality-based implementation and tends to "obfuscate" their meaning. Speed and space optimizations are not always intuitive of easy to describe.

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-16-2012 at 03:50 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #109
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
If we stipulate that you deserve all bragging rights to the code,
would you waste as many words as you used in the above post in constructive documentation for other people?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #110
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If we stipulate that you deserve all bragging rights to the code,
would you waste as many words as you used in the above post in constructive documentation for other people?
I did add constructive documentation (external) in a "theory of operation" section in the first post of various of my demos. I only put comments in code where needed to avoid confusion, such as what the two-letter vars mean, and what logical expressions do.

Embedded comments tend to become obsolete as code evolves, and can then be misleading (worse than no comments). Especially after multiple people have had their hands in the code. Even so, my COMMERCIAL code is loaded with more comments than actual code, in many cases. I hate that, even though the clients love it...

EDIT: Because I do stuff here FOR FUN, I prefer to do it the "more concise code, less bloated comments" way, and keep the "theory of operation" as an external document.

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-16-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #111
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

meh. either way. I couldn't get it to work. I wasn't criticising the work simply saying it was beyond my abilities to weld in to SDL at present.

which is rather the point for the community as a whole. Whether or not I am a dumbass is an overally moot point that I can happily confirm a positive answer to most days.

Hey, if we want to discuss recording procedures I may be actually useful but in the "Binary Show and Tell" class I sit somewhere near the back - asking lots of questions. Hey ho.

I also suck at; remembering dates; macramé; going to bed; morris dancing; and arguably reverse parking, never stopped me trying though. : )

Thanks for the feedback, honestly I burned quite a few days attempting to get up to speed on the whole SDL / GM dithering thing. (I did mention it in quite a few posts) being forthright enough to admit you can't do a thing (yet) and honest enough to admit it, perhaps might move things forward I thought.

Time will tell.

Last edited by twobob; 11-16-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: (yet)
Old 11-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #112
geekmaster

Quote:
meh. either way. I couldn't get it to work. I wasn't criticising the work simply saying it was beyond my abilities to weld in to SDL at present.

which is rather the point for the community as a whole. Whether or not I am a dumbass is an overally moot point that I can happily confirm a positive answer to most days...
I tried to integrate eink into SDL twice so far, with poor results both times. The first time, I could only compile it with no sound (and only black and white with no dither, from before I wrote the "formula 42" stuff). The second time, I could not get a good compile despite significant effort.

Different people have different strengths (and weaknesses). When messing with other people's libraries and stuff, you are a genious compared to me! I struggle with library incompatibilities just doing simple "apt-get install" stuff. I find it MUCH easier to just talk to the bare hardware, than trying to integrate with other people's libraries like SDL.

EDIT: Most of the problem with trying to reuse my GMLIB code is that it evolved over time, and each demo really only uses a SUBSET of it. The different pieces from newtrix and gmplay and raw2gmv all need to be merged together, and then refactored into a linkable library. Plus my new unpublished 32-bit parallel-dither code...

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-16-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #113
twobob

hokay... let's look at the problem from another angle.

How hard would it be to port Xephyr to run natively... Let's find out

Quote:
[root@kindle root]# cd /mnt/debian/usr/bin/
[root@kindle bin]# cp Xephyr /mnt/us/usr/bin
[root@kindle bin]# Xephyr

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
and start again.
well, s**t, that was easy.

So how about a patched version of Xephyr - possibly it will be easier to conceptualise plugging into that... It's a convenient way of grabbing all input and the overhead is fairly minimal, with the added bonus of dithering ANYTHING that get's crammed through it?

I will go investigate. Thoughts?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #114
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Thanks Thomas. Now I totally switched to Klip.me
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #115
twobob

Can we have "Ordered Dithered Render Target for X(ephyr)" or something on the list?

Code tweaks could be made to the BR version probably

It would make a whole pile of stuff "Just work". Really neat stuff too...

Please? never know when some wandering developer might take it upon themselves to tick a few off this list

Last edited by twobob; 01-16-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #116
skull43
Enthusiast
skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Touch
GBC OR GBA por to K5 (OF KINDLE KEYBOARD)
skull43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #117
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by skull43 View Post
GBC OR GBA por to K5 (OF KINDLE KEYBOARD)
xgnuboy works OOTB with sound now. However the Dithered Xephyr would be required to get visual results without project coding intervention. Hawhill indicated he wasn't interested in supporting it, I failed to get a completed solution on it.

Feel free to hack on that though. Get's my vote.

I have the xgnuboy build path stuff somewheres, it really was just a few makefile tweaks and pointing it at some likely libs (from Buildroot in my case) IIRC
Old 09-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #118
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

WebRTC is not supported in the WebKit that comes with Kindle Touch.
Would be nice to have this feature if possible!?

Spoiler:
Simply tested it with this code:
Code:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<script>
function webRTCAvailable()
{
if(window.webkitRTCPeerConnection || window.mozRTCPeerConnection){
document.getElementById("test").innerHTML="Yes";
}
else
{
document.getElementById("test").innerHTML="No";
}
}
</script>
</head>
<body>

<h1>webRTC Availability Test</h1>
Does your browser supports webRTC?
<button type="button" onclick="webRTCAvailable()">Test</button>
<p id="test"></p>

</body>
</html>
Old 09-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #119
twobob

in what? a recompiled webkit?

I feel certain that buildroot can provide that these days using the latest 2014.04.
I recall it building to completion last time I checked.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #120
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
in what? a recompiled webkit?

I feel certain that buildroot can provide that these days using the latest 2014.04.
I recall it building to completion last time I checked.
Yes. Oh boy, I should stop using Windows and go back to my Arch.