Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-30-2006, 08:45 AM   #1
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
British Science Fiction - Out of Print books

There was a very interesting programme on TV last night (BBC 4) exploring British Science Fiction.

One book that caught my attention was The Death of Grass by John Christopher published in 1956.

This morning I have been trying to find a second-hand copy of this out-of-print book. I was surprised to discover that it is so rare that the cost is beyond me. They have two paperbacks on Amazon UK at £87.50 each. I can find no other copies in the UK and the one at my library is missing.

To my way of thinking, this is one good reason to create digital books. They can last for ever.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:33 AM   #2
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker
To my way of thinking, this is one good reason to create digital books. They can last for ever.
... and you know, once again, it's the honest person who loses, because publishers keep ignoring the vast possibilities of digital content.

Meanwhile, the pirate whom we hate so much (...) only has to look in his virtual book shelves, and voila, discovers something like John Christopher - THE DEATH OF GRASS (v4.5) [txt].rar.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2006, 11:19 AM   #3
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update of my initial post:

I have now found a very tatty copy in California for the price of $35 including shipping so I have ordered it.

Confirmation of order:

Estimated Delivery Date: January 20, 2007
Book Description: USED :-:Fair in No D/J jacket:-::-:Bent and folded corners. Is less than good

Last edited by Moonraker; 11-30-2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:07 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I don't know if you know about it already (and I know you don't need it anymore at the moment), but I've found ABE Books to be a great resource for this sort of thing. You may have issues getting overseas shipping, but it's all individual sellers, so that will vary.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:18 PM   #5
Moonraker
Addict

Thanks NaTch.

I did indeed use ABE books, USA to locate this book.

I have used ABE books many times -- but always the UK one up til now.
Advert