Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #106
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
I posted a patch with the smaller scrollbars in the first message of this thread. It contains the xournal executable and some text files. Copy them over an existing 0.8 version.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:17 PM   #107
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Looks good! One question (sorry if this has been answered before), why does the input only register after the pen leaves the surface of the reader? Unlike in the notes application my writing only appears after I have stopped for a second or so.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 03:43 AM   #108
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Looks good! One question (sorry if this has been answered before), why does the input only register after the pen leaves the surface of the reader? Unlike in the notes application my writing only appears after I have stopped for a second or so.
There is an option: Options->Experimental Update which needs to be enabled to get a similar experience as with the notepad application. Do not forget to save the preferences (Options->Save Preferences) so it will also be enabled next time you start xournal.
I made this an option long time ago, because sometimes xournal would hang the DR with this option enabled. I am not sure if this still occurs on R2.0?
Old 06-20-2011, 04:20 AM   #109
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Let's try and see if it works. Using it for about 1 minute, I haven't had any problems yet.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:12 AM   #110
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Let's try and see if it works. Using it for about 1 minute, I haven't had any problems yet.
The hangup would occur occasionally. I have the impression that it was related to a full-screen refresh caused by a key-press and writing at the same time. So for DR1000 users I advise to lock the keys when using xournal, because they can be pressed easily by accident.
Advert
Old 07-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #111
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
looks like they need Mackx over here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=104895
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:46 AM   #112
friflaj
friflaj began at the beginning.

Device: Irex 1000S
Hi, new DR1000s owner here. Is this Xournal a full replacement for the DR1000 firmware, or is it "just" an editor? What is the best combination of firmware/editor to run right now? And does merging work on the device itself, or is there a replacement for the companion software (the readme says companion software doesn't work with 2.0, which is what was on the device as I received it).

TIA.
friflaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #113
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Xournal is just a reader/note taker and a means to annotate pdfs in a relatively straightforward manner. It is an application.
I've never used the DR1000's inbuilt notes function as Xournal is a lot more useful for me.
There is no replacement for the Companion software, not that it served much use anyway.

I'd upgrade to the last version of the DR firmware unless you need the mobipocket reading ability. Version 3 moved to epub and is a much nicer experience. Most applications have been moved over to expect the latest firmware.

regards, Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #114
friflaj

Is it possible to have the DR1000 open an ebook with xournal by default? And how do I get Xournal to display my existing pdf annotations?
Old 09-18-2011, 05:55 AM   #115
friflaj

I created a bunch of shortcuts, one for each ebook, to open them in xournal, which works great. Is there a way I can make xournal remember where I was after I closed it without manually labelling the current page?

I thought the labels would appear under help-about? I only see the regular about screen, not my labels. When I re-edit the label I do see the label: prefix.

I like the full-screen option, is it possible to add a "quit" icon to the toolbar so I don't have to go out of fullscreen to exit?

Sorry for the bunch of questions guys, just getting up to speed.

Last edited by friflaj; 09-18-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:21 AM   #116
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by friflaj View Post
I created a bunch of shortcuts, one for each ebook, to open them in xournal, which works great. Is there a way I can make xournal remember where I was after I closed it without manually labelling the current page?
Normally the last page should be stored when closing the document. Maybe there is a problem when using shortcuts to open a document. Note that the pdf-renderer of the native viewer (from adobe) is better then the one used in xournal (old version of poppler).
Quote:
I thought the labels would appear under help-about? I only see the regular about screen, not my labels. When I re-edit the label I do see the label: prefix.
The labels where initially shown using help-about, in the latest version there is a new icon. See the 12th icon in the 2nd row.
I tried to reproduce the re-edit issue but could not reproduce it, which version do you have installed?
Quote:
I like the full-screen option, is it possible to add a "quit" icon to the toolbar so I don't have to go out of fullscreen to exit?
I never used fullscreen mode, but indeed it is a good suggestion.
Quote:
Sorry for the bunch of questions guys, just getting up to speed.
No problem.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:33 AM   #117
friflaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
Note that the pdf-renderer of the native viewer (from adobe) is better then the one used in xournal (old version of poppler).
Yeah, I noticed. The native viewer also renders the pages quite a bit faster than Xournal. But I like how xournal uses a per-file xoj file instead of the shared database, and being able to type in the document is golden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
The labels where initially shown using help-about, in the latest version there is a new icon. See the 12th icon in the 2nd row.
Ah, there's a blank space there where the icon is supposed to be I think. Got it now. There wasn't so much a re-edit problem, I just meant I could re-tap the text and see the label: prefix, but not the labels in the about box, but that's fixed by the new icon.

I have a document that's annotated in the native app, can I bring those annotations into Xournal?
Old 09-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #118
Mackx
Guru

I forgot the icon in the zip-file, see message #97 in this thread.
Quote:
I have a document that's annotated in the native app, can I bring those annotations into Xournal?
You can use File->Import Annotations, it allows to select a file and it will also import its annotations and show the result. This can be saved with File->Export to PDF.
File->Merge Annotations will do a combination of Import Annotations and Export to PDF. It does not load the file into xournal (memory) which is sometimes needed for very large files.

Last edited by Mackx; 09-18-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #119
friflaj

Cool, that takes care of the icon. I tried "Import Annotations", but it just gave me a solid black screen where previously the text was.

I see that flipping pages is a lot faster when you've previously displayed that page. Would it be possible to cache the display results, or is the SD card to slow for this? The page flipping speed is the main thing that makes me go back and forth between the native reader and xournal.

Does the Merge save my annotations in the PDF, or in the metadata.db like the native app?
Old 09-19-2011, 02:25 AM   #120
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Cool, that takes care of the icon. I tried "Import Annotations", but it just gave me a solid black screen where previously the text was.
Can you check the version of the pdf-file. If the version is bigger then PDF 1.4 (Acrobat 5 compatible), Xournal can have problems with it. The file could also be protected which also causes some problems.
Quote:
I see that flipping pages is a lot faster when you've previously displayed that page. Would it be possible to cache the display results, or is the SD card to slow for this? The page flipping speed is the main thing that makes me go back and forth between the native reader and xournal.
Xournal renders pages when it needs to display them and keeps then into memory. There is currently no pre-fetcher or clever caching mechanism (to limit memory use) in Xournal.
Quote:
Does the Merge save my annotations in the PDF, or in the metadata.db like the native app?
The Merge creates a new PDF file by copying the original file and adding an extra section to it. When doing this on unprotected PDF1.4 documents, there usualy is no problem. However newer PDF formats and protected files can give problems.

Tags
xournal