Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
ketinmd
ketinmd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
first post -- probably a stupid question

I've read two books on my new kindle, and love it. but occasionally, i turn it on, and discover it has lost my place. i'm at a different page than the one i left. also, i'm having trouble with the search function. as in--i'm reading "the help" and trying to remember the precise circumstances of an event earlier in the book. in a regular book, i would just thumb back and find the page. but here, i don't know how to do it. what am i doing wrong?
ketinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, ketinmd.

I can't answer your question as to the bookmarking, mine has never done that.

Perhaps someone more knowlegabel can, if not, try the Amazon CS......they are outstanding.

Have you seen this page? Lots of great "getting started" tips. If your question isn't answered here, use the "contact Us" button,,sign into your account, and choose the "call me" feature. They call back within minutes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200375430

Good luck and let us know what you find out.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketinmd View Post
I've read two books on my new kindle, and love it. but occasionally, i turn it on, and discover it has lost my place. i'm at a different page than the one i left.
I'm not sure what's causing your Kindle to lose its place but I'm going to suggest you restart/reboot it. That can sometime clear up strange behavior.

To Restart from the Home screen click > Menu > Settings > Menu and select "Restart."

Quote:
also, i'm having trouble with the search function. as in--i'm reading "the help" and trying to remember the precise circumstances of an event earlier in the book. in a regular book, i would just thumb back and find the page. but here, i don't know how to do it. what am i doing wrong?
You can approach this a couple of ways. First I suggest you bookmark the current page your on before going back to search for something. You can use the "Previous Page" button on the left side of your Kindle if you only want to go back a few pages. You can also use the search by typing a few words or a phrase from the section your want to find again (whatever you remember), the Kindle will search the book for the words or phrase and present you with a list of choices. Pick the one that matches what you're looking for.

After you've found the section and you want to go back to where you left off reading you can either use the "Back" button below the joystick to get you back go to your bookmark.

Quote:
"Back" button: retraces your steps on Kindle just like the "back" button on a web browser. For example, you can follow a link in a book and then press the "Back" button to return to your place.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
And in case I didn't mention it.........there isn't a person around, NO ONE, who didn't ask a "stupid question" when first starting out with computers, ebooks, ipods, you name it.

so don't sweat the small stuff. Just keep reading, learning and asking questions.

Enjoy.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:18 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not storing the current position in the book can be a symptom of a corrupt file system. I'd suggest doing a "chkdsk" on it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert