Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-31-2013, 06:36 AM   #1
KTamas
Enthusiast
KTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Kindle for iOS - Forced hyphenation

So Kindle.app on iOS has started hyphenating text, which is good. It also started hyphenating my non-amazon ebooks, some of those in Hungarian, and it still uses the English hyphenation rules which creates a horrible, horrible mess. Is there any way to force it not to hyphenate the book?

Last edited by KTamas; 05-31-2013 at 06:41 AM.
KTamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Hyphenation in Kindle for iOS is not new, it has been there for quite awhile. But it is used sparingly and easy to overlook.

That said, the app is may be using the hyphenation rules of the iOS language setting. What happens if you change that to Hungarian?

Another possibility is that your Hungarian text doesn't have the correct language attribute set in the metadata, and it is defaulting to English hyphenation rules.

Kindle for iOS is language aware to some extent, for example it offers to download a French dictionary if you are reading a French text and try to look up a word. But if you turn VoiceOver on, it uses the iOS language to read out the text, rather than French, with weird results.

If you verify that your Hungarian text has the correct language setting and that it hyphenation works better if you change the iOS language to Hungarian, I'd report it to Amazon.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
KTamas
Enthusiast
KTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Hyphenation in Kindle for iOS is not new, it has been there for quite awhile. But it is used sparingly and easy to overlook.

That said, the app is may be using the hyphenation rules of the iOS language setting. What happens if you change that to Hungarian?

Another possibility is that your Hungarian text doesn't have the correct language attribute set in the metadata, and it is defaulting to English hyphenation rules.

Kindle for iOS is language aware to some extent, for example it offers to download a French dictionary if you are reading a French text and try to look up a word. But if you turn VoiceOver on, it uses the iOS language to read out the text, rather than French, with weird results.

If you verify that your Hungarian text has the correct language setting and that it hyphenation works better if you change the iOS language to Hungarian, I'd report it to Amazon.
Tried setting the system langugae to Hungarian AND using a mobi that has a correct dc:language setting. still wrong.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fwiw, even the english hyphenation is bad: consider 'experien-ce'.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:27 AM   #5
KTamas
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Fwiw, even the english hyphenation is bad: consider 'experien-ce'.
This is crazy annoying because the primary reason I use the Kindle app on iOS instead of something else is because I actually really like the justification rendering AND it has Caecilia which is my favorite reading font.

But I might have to switch to some other, presumably epub-based reader, I guess.
Advert
Old 06-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I am eagerly awaiting the iPhone version of Marvin. IBooks seems to do hyphenation well,.

Tags
hyphenation, ios, kindle