Notices

Old 05-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #301
TrulyInnovative
TrulyInnovative began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Changes in this release:
  • Add an 'Always overwrite existing value' checkbox (default is True), to allow users to turn off overwriting manually populated page/word counts without choosing the isolated menu option
This seems to work great, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
TrulyInnovative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #302
GameMonsters
GameMonsters doesn't litterGameMonsters doesn't litter

Device: Nook, Nook Color, ASUS, Galaxy
Hi,

I'm running Calibre 0.8.52 and just updated to the latest of this plugin. I now get
Count ePub/Mobi Statistics
Failed to initialize plugin <directory path>

Not sure what happened? Can someone help? Thanks.
GameMonsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #303
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameMonsters View Post
Hi,

I'm running Calibre 0.8.52 and just updated to the latest of this plugin. I now get
Failed to initialize plugin <directory path>

Not sure what happened? Can someone help? Thanks.
Did you restart Calibre?
THEN
Did you re-customize the PI to include the changes?

I only want page counts Estimated (Estimate pages configured, overwrite)
When I run it it fails. the log is near empty (old estimate 1241)
Spoiler:
-------------------------------
Logfile for book ID 629 (Shaman's Crossing - epub)

If I make a Word column and change the config to estimate Both, it runs
but not Pages does not appear in the Log
Spoiler:
-------------------------------
Logfile for book ID 4754 (Dragonfly in Amber - epub)
Found 341740 words
InputFormatPlugin: EPUB Input running
on C:\DOCUME~1\shop1\LOCALS~1\Temp\calibre_0.8.53_tmp _zicnib\gmnu9k_count_pages\4754.epub
Word count: 341740

Last edited by theducks; 05-30-2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: added info
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #304
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
v1.4.1 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Fix problem with new overwrite existing behaviour not counting pages in some circumstances

@theducks - I was in the process of already releasing a fix for that...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #305
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@GameMonsters - use the latest version though it shouldn't impact that issue you are seeing. What format of book are you trying to count pages on - make sure the appropriate input plugin exists/is enabled for it in Preferences -> Plugins -> Conversion input plugins.
Advert
Old 05-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #306
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Changes in this release:
  • Fix problem with new overwrite existing behaviour not counting pages in some circumstances

@theducks - I was in the process of already releasing a fix for that...
I'm updating my post and you have a Fix already
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #307
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Okay... Now *I've* got a question... For the longest time I've just left the page count algorithm at the default (APNX Accurate), but I thought with all these changes I'd try the other algorithm.

Downloaded the latest copy of Escape Pod's "Soundproof Digest"

http://traffic.libsyn.com/escapepod/...d1_120515.epub

When I count pages using the "Paragraphs (APNX Accurate)" algorithm I get 244 pages.

When I count pages using the "Calibre Viewer (Adobe)" algorithm I get 20 pages.

I would expect a bit of difference between the two algorithms, but 220 pages???

Are the two algorithms really that different?
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #308
blekm
blekm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Hey,

I've discovered this great plugin, but for me something isn't working.

On Kindle usually you see the % of the book, when you hit the preferences button appaers

Page 7 of 245 - Location 105 of 2455

I'm trying to use the plugin, but the only thing I obtain is the the part

Page 7 of 245

disappear from my Kindle. Nothing else.

I've tried to count pages with pdf file, then convert to mobi and send it. Nothing.

I've tried to convert pdf to mobi, count pages with mobi and send it. Nothing.

Into calibre appaer the number of page, but on the Kindle nothing happens (or better, the "page" information completely disapper.

Any idea? I'm using Mac Snow Leopard, all is set like the images on the first post.

Thanks for help
blekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #309
GameMonsters
GameMonsters doesn't litterGameMonsters doesn't litter

Device: Nook, Nook Color, ASUS, Galaxy
Thank you for all your help. I just installed the newest plugin and the problem went away. Yeah!
GameMonsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:54 AM   #310
kiwidude

@blekm - there is I believe a reported bug in calibre 0.8.53 which broke the APNX files (which is what the Kindle uses to display page numbers) not being created when you send to your Kindle. That has been fixed in the next calibre release...
Old 05-31-2012, 03:41 AM   #311
blekm

I will try 0.8.54.

For first thing, I have to convert the pdf to mobi and then "count page"? Or I can "count pages" while il file is in pdf, and then convert it into mobi and send to the device?
Old 05-31-2012, 04:39 AM   #312
kiwidude

You are better off doing the conversion first if you are intending to use a mobi version anyway, because otherwise you incur the conversion time penalty twice. Bear in mind the sticky in the library mgmt forum about PDF conversions and how "well" (or not) they turn out.

I might as a future optimisation for PDFs use one of calibre's PDF libraries to obtain the page count, rather than temporarily converting to epub behind the scenes as happens now.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:56 AM   #313
blekm

I tried both solution, but still never works.

Pdf -> count pages -> convert to Mobi -> send to Kindle

Pdf -> convert to Mobi -> count pages -> send to Kindle

reading both book I still see the % instaed of the number of pages read..

Old 05-31-2012, 05:14 AM   #314
kiwidude

@jgaiser - that epub you linked to counts as 210 pages, not 20 pages. Which means a variance between 244 and 210, which is completely expected.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:16 AM   #315
kiwidude

@blekm - see the "Special Notes" in the first post of this thread for how to make sure apnx files are being generated and if they are to get the count from your special pages column. If the apnx files aren't shwoing up on your Kindle or your Kindle isn't dealing with them that is absolutely nothing to do with this plugin. This plugin only updates a custom column in calibre, nothing more, nothing less.

Tags
count, count pages, page count, pages, plugin