Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 12:52 AM   #1
pelenor
pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 300
Gone back to Sony....

Well I started my ebook odyssey back in 2008 with a prs-505 and loved it. But being a technophile, when the Ipad came out, I had to get one and did, and ended up selling my Sony to justify buying the Ipad. I loved using the Ipad for all my reading (magazines, comic book and PDF reading were outstanding!) and video consumption but , and this is hard to explain, the novelty wore off and I ended up selling the Ipad but then needed another device to feed my ebook hunger.

Hello Nook color! Well, it was like the Ipad but cheaper and slightly smaller and it played videos and surfed the web! Now we're talking. But after only a couple of days, I realized I really detested reading on it. I tried different settings but nothing was comfortable and only after a week, I returned it. Yes, I know many will say I didn't give it enough time, but when you know you know

So I found myself at Walmart and lo and behold they had a Sony 300 reader for $99. It looked a lot like my old dearly departed 505 and I decided to get it. And I have to say, even though it's smaller than I'm used to, I'm really digging it. I;m now thinking all I wanted was a reading device for READING and nothing else. No web surfing, no video watching just a comfortable read.

And I'm glad to be back.
pelenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:35 AM   #2
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelenor View Post
And I'm glad to be back.
Glad to see you came to your senses! We're glad to have you back!!
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 01:38 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
sometimes the proven, simple devices work best
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:33 AM   #4
Jiang
Enthusiast
Jiang is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle HD 8.9
I was also considering to get a Nook Color, but after reading what you said, I learnt that maybe a Sony reader is a better choice for me.
Jiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:45 AM   #5
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Welcome back. I love my Sony readers. They cost a little more, but for me it's worth it. I VERY seldom use my Kindle. So much so that I'm going to lend it to a friend tomorrow, because I know I won't miss it.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 07:09 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Nothing newer on the market has ever even vaguely tempted me from my no-frills 505. It does exactly the job I bought it for and has never let me down. Bells and whistles don't interest me in the least when the 505 and Calibre is such a blissful marriage. Happy Sonying and best wishes for 2011. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
Aurora W
Addict
Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-950, iPad, Nexus 7
Quote:

And I'm glad to be back.
Welcome back!

I've tried using other devices (iPad, Palm...my phone), but always end up back on the Sony. The display never bothers my eyes, and they weight next to nothing (esp. the newest ones).
Aurora W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
Bro Pete
Connoisseur
Bro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Sony PRS 650
Something I learned from my bicycle racing days, buy the best you can afford (or sometimes just a little more than you can afford) and never ride someone else's bike.

Translated to ereaders means; The Sony Readers are the best for what I wanted to get out of ebooks, and now that I have one I am very happy with I have absolutely no need to look at any others.
Bro Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Nothing newer on the market has ever even vaguely tempted me from my no-frills 505. It does exactly the job I bought it for and has never let me down. Bells and whistles don't interest me in the least when the 505 and Calibre is such a blissful marriage. Happy Sonying and best wishes for 2011. Neil
I felt exactly that way, also...until now. The 650 has tempted me! Too bad they're pricey and hard to find! It's ok, I can wait, with my precious 505 firmly in hand!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
simulacrum
Connoisseur
simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.

Device: PRS-950
Just more proof that nothing beats e-ink (or reflective displays more generally) when it comes to reading.
simulacrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:12 PM   #11
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I felt exactly that way, also...until now. The 650 has tempted me! Too bad they're pricey and hard to find! It's ok, I can wait, with my precious 505 firmly in hand!
I replaced my 505 with a 650 almost entirely over the library-book Epub/PDF conflict, otherwise it was fine.

I don't need the touchscreen for page turning and such. However, I read a lot of nonfiction, with footnotes, so the "tap-note, tap-back" has been quite useful. Moreover, I'm visual, so looking through the choices by thumbnail works better for me than going through screens of lists to select a book.

Last edited by SeaBookGuy; 01-01-2011 at 01:45 PM.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
And I'm glad to be back.
Welcome Back!

I replaced 505 with 650 for a few reasons:
1. Dictionary (English is my second language)
2. The proper ePub support, i.g., full justification and reader's speed when using ePub.
3. Search feature.

Last edited by astra; 01-01-2011 at 12:22 PM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #13
allen.gotwald
Advocate
allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: SONY PRS-505 and Nook Color
I have to admit that even though I bought a Nook Color this week, the thought of getting rid of my Sony 505 has never cross my mind..."out of my cold, dead hands...."
allen.gotwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #14
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
I bought the 505 after my 500 failed its last drop test. I've been real happy with the screen; but, I'm a little annoyed with the lag in page turns. Mine averages about two to three seconds from the push of the button until the screen changes pages. I recently completely re-downloaded my library from Sony, to finally convert all the BBeB books to ePUB. Other that dealing with a few duplicates in home library, I'm happy.
Yesterday, I visited the Sony Style Store in Tyson's Corner, VA. I was totally POed at the staff there. Two of the three I spoke with hadn't a clue how to convert the formats and the third seemed really unconcerned about my problems. I left steaming like a locomotive into the mall. I passed the Apple Store and the contrast between the two is really telling. Sony just isn't on the ball. At least the store I visited.
As many have commented on the KISS principle applies to eReaders IMHO. When I pick up a paperback or hardback book, I don't expect to read in the dark without a light, I don't expect to be able get a definition without consulting a separate dictionary, etc. I just expect it to contain the story. I like the ability to have MP3s on it and often listen to music as I read.
Anyway, I'll keep my 505 until such a time in the future it too fails the inevitable final drop test. I'm so clumsy
Ralph
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #15
Wordeater
Connoisseur
Wordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Sony PRS-650
Wow....I feel so much better after having read this thread.
When I first saw a Kindle I couldn't understand what the big deal was about. IMO, they're pieces of crap. (it might be an OK reader, but it looks and feels like a turd.....well, looks like a turd. I don't make a habit of holding turds.)
I also saw a bunch of Kindle cases everybody thought were great. Geez, I thought they looked like hell. No way I'd want one.
Whew, I now realize it wasn't me.

WE
Wordeater is offline   Reply With Quote