Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
EPUB in FBReader

Greetings,

Loving my Pocketbook 360, but I do find that FB Reader has some shortcomings when it comes to rendering epub. First, the hyperlinks sometimes work and sometimes don't. Second, the table of contents option is severely limited. Third, images often are not displayed. I am using the beta firmware and the Adobe reader does render epub adequately (even if the page numbers are annoying). However it is much less customizable than FBReader. Can we expect an update to the Pocketbook line that will improve Epub support? Curiously enough, the same epubs which are problematic opn my pocketbook display quite nicely on my Android phone running FBReaderJ, with functioning hyperlinks, full tables of contents, and properly displayed graphics. The code definiely exists; surely it can be ported?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
I do find that FB Reader has some shortcomings when it comes to rendering epub. First, the hyperlinks sometimes work and sometimes don't. Second, the table of contents option is severely limited. Third, images often are not displayed.
FBReader does not handle SVGs, and sometimes images are embeded as SVGs in ePubs because this allows better control of fitting the image to the screen.

Do these ePubs work with Desktop FBReader (Windows or Linux)? Recent versions of Desktop FBReader should work on ePub TOCs (e.g. multi-level TOCs) and handle hyperlinks. If the desktop version works, then it is a PocketBook issue but if not FBReader needs to be improved.

A work around might be to convert to MOBI (say) using Calibre. This would convert all SVGs to JPG, but you probably loose the cover page. Converting to MOBI and then back to ePub might work. It may be that Calibre should add a "FBReader" (or OpenInkPot) target output type to work round FBReader's defects.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
As I already wrote here, PocketBook developers from Ukraine surprised Adobe by sufficient enhancing plain and simple Adobe reader that has been sent to them within their review and acceptanse process. That's why guys from Adobe are taking their time. We were expecting to see release of the new firmware by the end of November, there is still a probability of that.
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #4
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
FBReader does not handle SVGs, and sometimes images are embeded as SVGs in ePubs because this allows better control of fitting the image to the screen.

Do these ePubs work with Desktop FBReader (Windows or Linux)? Recent versions of Desktop FBReader should work on ePub TOCs (e.g. multi-level TOCs) and handle hyperlinks. If the desktop version works, then it is a PocketBook issue but if not FBReader needs to be improved.

A work around might be to convert to MOBI (say) using Calibre. This would convert all SVGs to JPG, but you probably loose the cover page. Converting to MOBI and then back to ePub might work. It may be that Calibre should add a "FBReader" (or OpenInkPot) target output type to work round FBReader's defects.
The Desktop version displays the Epub very nicely. The (Multi-level) TOC is quite nice and the pictures are displayed correctly. The hyperlinks are not working with the epub I'm testing; they work under ADE and FBReaderJ.

I find it odd that the Android port would have functionality that's missing in the Desktop reader, though. I guess they are separate projects now.

Luqman
Old 11-18-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
As I already wrote here, PocketBook developers from Ukraine surprised Adobe by sufficient enhancing plain and simple Adobe reader that has been sent to them within their review and acceptanse process. That's why guys from Adobe are taking their time. We were expecting to see release of the new firmware by the end of November, there is still a probability of that.
The formating on the ADE Epubs I've read on the Pocketbook is very nice. The main limitation is the limited range of font sizes. On some EPUBs it's ok; on others only the largest size is really suitable. I realize that getting ADOBE certified is the top priority. But afterwards can they update FBReader so that it has the epub handling capabilities of the Desktop and Android versions?

Luqman