Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
Isles8008
Connoisseur
Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nexus 10, Kindle Paperwhite, iRiver Story HD
Information request: tips and tricks for the Story HD

Hello all. I just purchased an iRiver Story HD wifi from eBay, and I was wondering if anyone could offer me a few tips or tricks that will make my use of this device more interesting. Links to mods, firmware downloads, and how-to instructions would be greatly appreciated.

I have scanned through these threads and, aside from a few mentions of firmware updates and mods, I haven't found any posts like this about the Story HD. I realize that this is a discontinued device, and maybe it hasn't gotten much attention from hackers, but perhaps I am missing something?

Anyway, if you can help me out with a few links, or some more information on this device, I would be grateful.

Last edited by Isles8008; 12-08-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Isles8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
1) Do firmware updates through WiFi only. It's easy to brick with the downloads from iriver (or downloads from anywhere else for that matter).

2) Put books on SD card only. There's at least one known, unfixed bug which makes it go into infinite loop and the device would end up being bricked if it was in internal memory. With SD card you can recover by taking out the SD card.

3) Mods are all available here in this forum. Search for threads with Story HD Mod in the title.

Have fun with the device.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
Isles8008
Connoisseur
Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the tips

Wow, that is some important advice. I see that there appears to be quite a few people who have had freeze issues on this forum.

Do you have a specific firmware number to recommend, or should I just go with the latest one? Also, do I have to initiate the firmware updates or will they come automatically over wifi? Again, I appreciate your help.

Last edited by Isles8008; 12-08-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There should be an update wizard thing in the setting menu somewhere.

With the Wifi you don't really have a choice of version number, I think. It might update you to the latest version directly, if you're not already running it. Do you still have little page numbers on the right side of a book? Those were removed in later firmware, and a progress bar added at the bottom. It's hard to tell what to prefer... personally I hate the progress bar and modded it away as much as possible (unfortunately not entirely).
Old 12-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
Isles8008
Connoisseur

Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
There should be an update wizard thing in the setting menu somewhere.

With the Wifi you don't really have a choice of version number, I think. It might update you to the latest version directly, if you're not already running it. Do you still have little page numbers on the right side of a book? Those were removed in later firmware, and a progress bar added at the bottom.
Okay, thanks. I don't actually have the device in hand yet, but it will arrive in the next two days. I will initiate firmware updates over wifi.

My microSD card is prepared with about 100 eBooks. Have you had any issues with microSD overload? Does too many eBooks on a card cause it to freeze?

Old 12-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User

It freezes when the path name is >200 characters or something long.

Also the Story HD has a regular SD card slot. With microSD you'd need an microSD to SD adapter.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
Isles8008
Connoisseur

Okay, I have my device! I went through the start up wizard and set everything up (except for my Google account). I am downloading the latest firmware right now.

Should I not connect this with my Google account. I think I remember hearing somewhere that Google eBooks no longer works.

Any other sage words of advice?

Oh and I went ahead and bought a regular SD card. I have an adapter, but in my experience, using it with my Sony Reader PRS-950 caused it to freeze and I had to do a hard reset (how do I do that on the Story HD?).

Again, thanks for your help.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
frostschutz
Linux User

hard reset on the story hd: hold the power button for a while (15 seconds?)

never used Google account as the german device is bound to a local bookstore instead of Google - can't help you there
Old 12-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
Isles8008
Connoisseur

Is there a way to eject the SD card, or should I just power off the device and remove the card then? Nothing is mentioned about safe ejecting in the manual.

Last edited by Isles8008; 12-11-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
frostschutz
Linux User

It only reads from the SD card (unless you use some of my mods which also write to it), so normally, it's quite safe to just take it out whenever you feel like it. If you take it out while reading a book it will kick you back to the main menu though.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #11
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
You can no longer buy books directly from Google via the Story HD device. However it is still tied into your account hence any books purchased in Google Play will automatically appear on the device (when connected to wifi , obviously).
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles8008 View Post
Is there a way to eject the SD card, or should I just power off the device and remove the card then? Nothing is mentioned about safe ejecting in the manual.
I find that when I power my device on (from a full shutdown, not just sleep mode) my card is not read. This may be from the fact that I'm using an old adapter with my my mini Sandisk. Not sure. I generally put the device in sleep mode by a quick power button bump, remove and reinsert the drive and then it reads just fine until the next full shutdown. YMMV
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #13
Isles8008
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
This may be from the fact that I'm using an old adapter with my my mini Sandisk. Not sure.
Yes, in my experience, the microSD to SD adapter can be spotty in eReaders. My Sony Reader would occasionally freeze when I used it, but, so far, the iRiver is doing fine. A regular SD card will arrive in the mail tomorrow, so I will be set after that.

One issue I have noticed: I am on page 450 in a 600 page book. When I exit out of the book and return to the home screen, it takes me about ten seconds for the book to reload from the SD card when I open it again. I just takes that long for the card to transfer the data and get back up to my current page number I guess. No big deal.

Again, anyone reading this thread who has owned or currently owns an iRiver Story HD: please post any tips here!

Last edited by Isles8008; 12-11-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #14
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles8008 View Post
it takes me about ten seconds for the book to reload from the SD card when I open it again
Books take at most 2-3 seconds to open for me. Certainly it will depend on file size more than actual number of pages. If you see 10 second load times for regular sized books (<1MB), the card may be old or slow or incompatible somehow.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #15
Isles8008
Connoisseur

frostschutz, is it safe to read any book stored on the device's root memory? For example, the user guide is on there. Am I okay to read this pre-loaded book, or should I stick exclusively to SD card books?