Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
cozworth
gadget crazy
cozworth began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505/900
LARGE file on PRS505

Hi: I recently had a pdf that I converted to Word than made formatting changes so it could be read comfortably on my Sony. Then I converted to the Sony format and tried to load it onto an SD card.

The file, which had been average in pdf was suddenly a ridiculous 29 meg.

Does anyone have any feedback as to why this can happen - and maybe how I can prevent it.

The bad news was that the file was so large that it wouldn't load. Seems like I am doing something wrong.

Thanks
cozworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How did you convert it to LRF?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
cozworth
gadget crazy

Sorry,I'mnotup on all the terms yet...LRF...if you mean convert it to BBEB file format - I just imported the Word doc right into the library.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozworth View Post
... had a pdf that I converted to Word ...
What JSWolf is asking is what program did you use to convert a PDF to a Word docment?

Some PDF conversion programs tend to convert the text to images, in order to crop of white space and bold the text. This really blows up the size of a PDF

But before any real advice can be given, at the very least we need to know how the PDF was converted.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 06-24-2008 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Corrected name
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:43 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozworth View Post
Sorry,I'mnotup on all the terms yet...LRF...if you mean convert it to BBEB file format - I just imported the Word doc right into the library.
So you haven't actually converted the book to the sony format (LRF/Bbeb). This would involve using a conversion program such as Calibre or Book Designer.

You think that you have converted your PDF to Word and loaded the Word Doc into the ebook library software. That's ok. The Reader will automatically convert the DOC into RTF, which can be rather unwieldy. But 29 MB is excessive, and leads me to suppose that you may have inadvertently converted to images of some kind..

Therefore, it's worth checking to see exactly what you have done.
1. Look at the document you converted. What is the file extension? (.doc, perhaps?) When you open the file in the ebook library software, what exactly does it list under 'file type'?
2. How exactly did you do the conversion?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:22 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If it is converted to just images, then when it's converted to RTF, it won't dislay as the RTF viewer in the 500/505 do not display images or links. Also, the other issue is that I have not yet found any program that can convert PDF to something else without errors. Even Adobe Acrobat cannot do it without errors. And the problem is that sometimes some of these errors you'll never notice unless you compare the conversion to the original PDF. And other times, reading the converted document is how you'll find the errors to be able to correct them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
cozworth
gadget crazy

Sorry for not providing a solid answer. I purchased a new laptop a couple of days after coming up with the huge file. So, I hadn't installed the Sony Library to the new laptop because I have 64 bit windows now and that created a new load of hurdles I had to clear. As of last night I was able to get the Sony Library onto my computer. So, I will try to duplicate the problem today and let you know what I am doing - or doing wrong, as the case may be. Thanks, Coz