Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-22-2010, 04:42 AM   #1
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
my mobi output for kindle

hello all,

in preparation for my K3, i've tried to convert some of my books to MOBI using Calibre, knowing that it is a file-type supported by the Kindle software. as a long-time reader of ebooks i've grown some (annoying) habits when it comes to how my ebooks have to look, e.g spacing between paragraphs, and most importantly some empty lines within a chapter.
my big problem is that my conversions kill any such modification that i add to my input file (which is an already edited Open Office file). and i haven't really had any experience with to-MOBI conversions, i admit.
here's an example of one such MOBI from an .odt that already has spacing and formatting added to it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	red.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	56984

my cry for help involves two things:
- some space between the paragraphs -- eventually i solved this one by tinkering with "line height" in "Look and Feel"
- AND i'd love for that blank line not to disappear, if possible.

thanks a lot and sorry if it's the 754th question on the matter
-------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: 2 days later and i have discovered the wonders of Mobipocket Creator where all formatting is kept. yay!

Last edited by TenaciousBadger; 08-23-2010 at 12:19 PM.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:50 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousBadger View Post
my cry for help involves two things:
- some space between the paragraphs -- eventually i solved this one by tinkering with "line height" in "Look and Feel"
- AND i'd love for that blank line not to disappear, if possible.

thanks a lot and sorry if it's the 754th question on the matter
Have you tried the Insert blank line feature under Conversion - Look & Feel?
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Have you tried the Insert blank line feature under Conversion - Look & Feel?
thanks for your answer and yep i have already tried that but without success.
i've come up with a mini-solution to keep my empty line from being eaten up during the conversion process:

1. i've replaced the empty lines with a character, a star (*). and thank god for Oo and it's regular expressions (and also thank god for friends )

2. changed the font color for that star to white so it doesn't show. and it worked, it's stayed invisible in the conversion.

so yey!
now all i have left to do is hope that my specs work for the K3 screen and they won't look weird so that i would have to change everything
Old 08-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I normally set extra spacing between paragraphs (as well as adding paragraph indents) when editing using OO, and it shows up on the mobi files I send to the Kindle.

Or am I not understanding what you are trying to do?
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
I normally set extra spacing between paragraphs (as well as adding paragraph indents) when editing using OO, and it shows up on the mobi files I send to the Kindle.

Or am I not understanding what you are trying to do?
it's exactly that. but whatever i do in Oo just doesn't survive the conversion. it's back to zero paragraph spacing unless i change the "line height".

the indentation and italics are preserved. so is the TOC and headings (thank god!).

but i still haven't figured out a better way to preserve that pov break (the empty line)

oh well, it's ok for now. all i can do is wait for the mothership to finally beam the kindle to see if the specs are ok.

thanks

Last edited by TenaciousBadger; 08-22-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
it's exactly that. but whatever i do in Oo just doesn't survive the conversion. it's back to zero paragraph spacing unless i change the "line height".

the indentation and italics are preserved. so is the TOC and headings (thank god!).

but i still haven't figured out a better way to preserve that pov break (the empty line)

oh well, it's ok for now. all i can do is wait for the mothership to finally beam the kindle to see if the specs are ok.

thanks
Set the top and bottom margins to something like: 0.5em
That gives 1em (.5 bottom+.5 top) between normal paragraphs, while keeping lines closer together

AFAIK you need to locate the style name used in the stylesheet and edit (Sigil is great for this )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
1. i've replaced the empty lines with a character, a star (*). and thank god for Oo and it's regular expressions (and also thank god for friends )

2. changed the font color for that star to white so it doesn't show. and it worked, it's stayed invisible in the conversion.
Nice workable solution.

I see many programs resort to non-breaking spaces, something like this:

Quote:
<p>&nbsp;</p>
To maintain spaces between paragraphs.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:34 AM   #8
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?

omg, just tried the wikipedia site provided by dwanthny (with the ctrl+shift+space for Oo) and one of the world's great mysteries has been solved: the grey space!!!!!!!!

for those who have been doing some editing in Oo, you'll know what i'm talking about. i've seen that little bugger in so many documents but i never knew where it had come from or what its role was!

now i know, much appreciated, mate!

theducks, i'll be sure to try your solution as well. and i've been dancing round Sigil for a while now. eventually he and i will have to get acquainted!