Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
yelloguy
Enthusiast
yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: none
Found a new font

My favorite font on the e-ink devices was Kindle's Caecilia. I jumped through hoops to get it on the Sony Reader and that made the Sony so much more enjoyable.

When I switched to reading on the Nook Color, I tried that font first. But it just wasn't the same on an LCD screen. Thankfully the Nook App comes with Amasis and that saved the day for me. I like the default Android font that a lot of readers use (Droid Serif, I think) but that is very common on the platform. For example, the browser uses it for websites that don't specify a font. Amasis looked very good for reading books.

Then while playing with a Honeycomb tablet in store, I found Merriweather font and I loved it. I came home and Googled it and found that it is a free font from Google. Now I use it with Aldiko reader and love the look of it.

Just sharing in the hopes that someone will benefit. Maybe I am in a minority but I think a good font makes it so much easier [for me] to read quickly and the pages are easy on the eye.
yelloguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
There are many interesting threads about fonts here, with quite a few interesting suggestions.
At the moment my favourite is Ubuntu Font http://font.ubuntu.com/
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
@yellowguy - Thanks for the recommendation. I'm using the "black" variation instead of bold on my Kobo. Now I can make the font even smaller than I normally would using bold, without sacrificing clarity! Will try it on my tablet within Mantano Reader.

Last edited by SCION; 08-11-2011 at 02:48 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't bother with Merriweather just yet. There is no italic and no bold italic variations.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
yelloguy
Enthusiast
yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: none
@JSWolf: There are Black, Bold, Light and Regular variations. But I have only copied the regular one to my Aldiko directory and it works fine. I have not paid attention to see if bold and italics are done in software.
@Scion: You are welcome.
@kacir: Thanks but I am not a big fan of the ubuntu font for reading.
yelloguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelloguy View Post
@JSWolf: There are Black, Bold, Light and Regular variations. But I have only copied the regular one to my Aldiko directory and it works fine. I have not paid attention to see if bold and italics are done in software.
Even if the italic and bold/italic are done via the reading software, you'd still notice that it's simulated. I did post on the font creator's blog that we need italic and bold italic before we need yet another version.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:27 AM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelloguy View Post
My favorite font on the e-ink devices was Kindle's Caecilia. I jumped through hoops to get it on the Sony Reader and that made the Sony so much more enjoyable.

When I switched to reading on the Nook Color, I tried that font first. But it just wasn't the same on an LCD screen. Thankfully the Nook App comes with Amasis and that saved the day for me. I like the default Android font that a lot of readers use (Droid Serif, I think) but that is very common on the platform. For example, the browser uses it for websites that don't specify a font. Amasis looked very good for reading books.

Then while playing with a Honeycomb tablet in store, I found Merriweather font and I loved it. I came home and Googled it and found that it is a free font from Google. Now I use it with Aldiko reader and love the look of it.

Just sharing in the hopes that someone will benefit. Maybe I am in a minority but I think a good font makes it so much easier [for me] to read quickly and the pages are easy on the eye.
Thanks! It looks really nice on Mantano Reader. I normally use Tahoma which is a Sans Serif font. I have Caecilia but on a 3.2 inch screen is just takes up too much space. Merriweather is a nice serif font and more condensed.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote