Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-01-2013, 04:42 AM   #16
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
$380 wouldn't even begin to be in my price range.
How about if they put one of these on the back...

wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:54 AM   #17
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
How about if they put one of these on the back...

If they'd put that on the back, even €0.01 would be waaaaaaaay too expensive...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:23 AM   #18
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I think it's for sale in Germany...http://www.amazon.de/Acer-Iconia-W3-...ds=acer+w3-810 but the customer reviews on the display are disastrous...!
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:53 AM   #19
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I think it's for sale in Germany...http://www.amazon.de/Acer-Iconia-W3-...ds=acer+w3-810 but the customer reviews on the display are disastrous...!
yes, I had heard about that too... My husband was thinking about getting it, but I told him not to, after reading about those screen problems. Now we wait for another 7 or 8" windows 8 tablet....
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #20
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Actually the 8.1" tablets apparently all include MS office, even for regular Windows, not just for RT. But it would be a great deal even without it. You could use any old mouse and keyboard.
I might not have been clear.
My point was that after you take off the cost for the embedded Office, the tablet's cost is "just" $280.

As for the screen problems we are hearing about, perhaps as the manufacturing processes or software processes (which is it?) are tuned, they will go away? Still it does show something amiss with the QC. The usual "deadline" pressures, I presume.

Somewhere people are being impaled as with Apple maps.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #21
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I might not have been clear.
My point was that after you take off the cost for the embedded Office, the tablet's cost is "just" $280.
You don't think Microsoft is willing to discount Office in order to kindle some fire (pun intentional) under sales for Win 8 machines?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Yep, a 1280 x 800 pixel screen is rather old school these days. Plus being Windows it will ask you to download and install 900 updates everytime you turn it on! Windows with 8 GB RAM runs slow enough, I can only imagine how slow the crawl would be with only 2 GB.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #23
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Seems like most of the detractors have little or no experience with Windows tablets and are making assumptions. This looks like a solid device at a fair price. If you are looking for a toy to play games with the Windows ecosystem probably isn't for you. But Windows 8/RT tablets are fast and fluid and the 8.1 update adds some much needed polish to the overall experience.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Do Windows tablets and phones use the same apps?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #25
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'd have to see the display first hand. The Surface RT is what resolution/ppi and it looks very good to me.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #26
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
Seems like most of the detractors have little or no experience with Windows tablets and are making assumptions. This looks like a solid device at a fair price. If you are looking for a toy to play games with the Windows ecosystem probably isn't for you. But Windows 8/RT tablets are fast and fluid and the 8.1 update adds some much needed polish to the overall experience.
Disagree. If Windows 8 runs slow on a lesser desktop running an older processor and with say 4GB of RAM, then it is not going to be fast on a lackluster tablet with only 2GB RAM. RAM doesn't normally have a lot to do with speed, but when you have so little of it and you have memory hog software by Microsoft, Adobe, or others, then there will be a huge slow down in running apps. I bet that tablet would piss all over itself, and whoever is holding it, if they tried to run Photoshop CS6!
Old 07-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #27
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I don't think it was an accident. I saw a prepared (empty) endcap with signage for that product today, in Staples.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #28
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
You can never tell what will happen when the customers get hold of the product. People always figure it out then.

It might be a winner like Kindle was, or a loser like that HP tablet was.

I had a friend who had a Viliv 5 (maybe N5). It was tiny but it had Windows 7 I think. He liked it. OR at least he swore he did.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #29
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Disagree. If Windows 8 runs slow on a lesser desktop running an older processor and with say 4GB of RAM, then it is not going to be fast on a lackluster tablet with only 2GB RAM. RAM doesn't normally have a lot to do with speed, but when you have so little of it and you have memory hog software by Microsoft, Adobe, or others, then there will be a huge slow down in running apps. I bet that tablet would piss all over itself, and whoever is holding it, if they tried to run Photoshop CS6!
This kind of argument is what I don't get. Who wants to run Photoshop on a 8" tablet? These are designed primarily for Metro apps, which they run very well. The desktop stuff is a bonus, no other tablet can run those kind of applications. And they run stuff like Office perfectly fine. Being able to run them in addition to the standard tablet stuff isn't a disadvantage.

If you do need something with real ultrabook specs to run photoshop, they have you covered there too with the Surface Pro and other Windows 8 devices.

Don't get me wrong, these Windows 8 devices aren't perfect by any means, but they are a lot better than most people give them credit for.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #30
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
As opposed to the $362 16gb ipad mini without 3g?? What price would you think is reasonable for a fully functional mini-computer?
I'm trying to feed a family of four on my meager salary. Even if I had the money, I wouldn't buy Apple's overpriced stuff.

I have a fully functional mini-computer called a Nook HD+ that is going for cheap these days. Other things like the Nexus 7 are still fully functional mini-computers and are a much better value. For what I do on a computer (programming & web design) my 17" laptop screen is small enough. I couldn't do any serious work on a tablet of any kind.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote