Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 04-09-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
kostix
Vade-Mecum developer
kostix began at the beginning.

Device: LOOX 420, Palm m500
Vade-Mecum 0.6.6.5 is out

A "point-release" 0.6.6.5 of Vade-Mecum is out.
It's a bugfixed version of the recent 0.6.6 that introduced partial support for charsets in Plucker documents.

The 0.6.6.5 version includes fixes that finally implemented proper support for that Chinese charsets that appear to be supported by today's handhelds.
These include:
1) Simplified Chinese: GB2312, GBK and GB_2312-80 (that is not really a valid charset for WWW but some pages errorneously state they're composed using this charset when instead they use GBK or GB2312).
2) Traditional Chinese: Big5.

The Russian charsets (Windows-1251, CP866 and KOI8-R) are properly supported beginning from the v0.6.6 itself.

Also Latin-1 and UTF-8 are confirmed to work.

The support for charsets requires much more testing since the developers just are unable to test any possible supported charsets due to lack of support for them on their devices/emulators.
So please try it out and report back!

Also be sure to read this guide to charsets in Vade-Mecum to get some understanding of how this is implemented and what you should and what you should not to expect from Vade-Mecum in this respect.

NOTE that proper support for that GB-family of charsets requires patching the Python Plucker distiller. The patched file "CharsetMapping.py" made against the v1.8 release of Python distiller is available for download along with the new release of Vade-Mecum. I hope this file wil eventually be included in the Python Plucker distiller distribution.

P.S.
We should thank Wong Yiu Fai for his help because he is who cleared up the situation with Chinese charsets to me.
Thanks!

Last edited by kostix; 04-09-2006 at 09:33 AM.
kostix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:22 AM   #2
forceps
Enthusiast
forceps doesn't litterforceps doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DXG
It works with Plucker Desktop 1.6.0.0 without replace CharsetMapping.py, Chinese character is correctly decoded.

Still have question -- Is it possible make it display chinese with plucker document coverted by Sunrise? I have tried but unfortunatly failed.

Thanks for ur hard work!
forceps is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2006, 09:26 AM   #3
kostix
Vade-Mecum developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceps
It works with Plucker Desktop 1.6.0.0 without replace CharsetMapping.py, Chinese character is correctly decoded.
There's a whole bunch of Chinese charsets and their names that are used in HTML documents. I swear that my PyPlucker didn't know about GBK. Probably, all pages you've tried are tagged as GB2312 or so.

The current (bad) behaviour of PyPlucker is to assume the record has default charset (i.e. "default for channel", if it was specified, or Latin-1, if it wasn't) if the charset of such record is not known (not in the PyPlucker's charset mapping table), so unpatched PyPlucker can produce an unreadable document for you when it faces a charset it doesn't know about--GBK, for example.
So you have been warned. ;-)

Quote:
Still have question -- Is it possible make it display chinese with plucker document coverted by Sunrise? I have tried but unfortunatly failed.
Read this.

Last edited by kostix; 04-16-2006 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:53 PM   #4
BasilC
Zealot
BasilC is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Any chance of being able to remap the buttons in Vade Mecum, to do things like toggle autoscroll, go back and forwards, jump to the next link etc? You can do that in Plucker on the Palm.
BasilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:37 AM   #5
kostix
Vade-Mecum developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasilC
Any chance of being able to remap the buttons in Vade Mecum, to do things like toggle autoscroll, go back and forwards, jump to the next link etc? You can do that in Plucker on the Palm.
Remapping of hardbuttons is planned for implementation, and is of high priority.

To go back and forward, you can use "left" and "right" buttons on your joystick (or whatever thingy your device has for it).

P.S.
Palm Plucker is far more feature-rich than Vade-Mecum.
But we're working on this issue. ;-)
Advert
Old 04-28-2006, 12:37 AM   #6
khaoohs
khaoohs began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X51v
Just installed on an Dell Axim x51v with WM2005. Works well. Please keep developing this software.
khaoohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:52 AM   #7
tovarish
Enthusiast
tovarish began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Touch Pro2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostix
P.S.
Palm Plucker is far more feature-rich than Vade-Mecum.
But we're working on this issue. ;-)
Having 3 pdas clie, zaurus and loox it is great to be able to read the same files in all three. Remap buttons and on the fly orientation change would make vade mecum on par with plucker readers on the other two pdas. I am not complaining, it is great to have vade mecum on the ppc. You guys are doing a great job and i still have the other pdas to read with.

Is it possible to turn of the image scrollbar for larger images.

tovarish
tovarish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:23 PM   #8
kostix
Vade-Mecum developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarish
Is it possible to turn of the image scrollbar for larger images.
Do you mean that scrollbar which is shown in the normal mode (I mean, with the image embedded in the text) or in the full-screen mode (that is when you tap on an image and get it shown full-screen in a separate window)?

AFAIK, there's no such possibility, but for the first case (in-text) I think this is not feasible (or it must implicitly cause all images to be resized to fit the current screen width). No scrollbars and Plucker-style "tap-and-drag" scrolling in the full-screen mode would be cool. I thought about it already. I'll contact Henrik (he's who implemented support for images) and ask about this.

Last edited by kostix; 05-02-2006 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:28 PM   #9
tovarish
Enthusiast
tovarish began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Touch Pro2
Quote:
Do you mean that scrollbar which is shown in the normal mode (I mean, with the image embedded in the text) or in the full-screen mode (that is when you tap on an image and get it shown full-screen in a separate window)?
yes when the image is embedded with test. it is a bit inconvenient to have extra space taken by the scrollbar. Since i anyways resize the images while plucking, i didnt think it should have been there. In a vga pda the image is shown with 4 times the size and the scrollbar always exists. Since my zaurus is a vga pda i pluck images with 640 width. In just image mode the scrollbar is welcome.

Quote:
AFAIK, there's no such possibility, but for the first case (in-text) I think this is not feasible (or it must implicitly cause all images to be resized to fit the current screen width). No scrollbars and Plucker-style "tap-and-drag" scrolling in the full-screen mode would be cool. I thought about it already. I'll contact Henrik (he's who implemented support for images) and ask about this.
yes drag scrolling would be cool. good vga support would be cream (else i have to use true vga mode). thanks for the reply

tovarish
tovarish is offline   Reply With Quote