Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-02-2017, 01:50 PM   #1
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Search bar shortcuts.

This list is an update of the information found in the Kindle Hacking section of the wiki. Information current as of 5.8.8
Code:
    ";dm" : "/usr/bin/dm.sh",
    ";dh" : "/usr/bin/dh.sh",
    ";dt" : "/usr/bin/dt.sh",
    ";shpm" : "/usr/sbin/shipping_mode",
    ";lzzl" : "/usr/sbin/shipping_mode",
    ";urst" : "/usr/sbin/userstore_reset",
    ";debugOn" : "/usr/bin/debugOn.sh",
    ";debugOff" : "/usr/bin/debugOff.sh",
    ";311" : "/usr/bin/311.sh",
    ";411" : "/usr/bin/411.sh",
    ";611" : "/usr/bin/611.sh",
    ";711" : "/usr/bin/711.sh",
    ";setTime" : "/usr/bin/dateTime.sh",
    ";st" : "/usr/bin/dateTime.sh",
    "~ds" : "/usr/bin/ds.sh",
    ";updateCamp" : "/usr/bin/updateCamp.sh",
    ";csc" : "/usr/bin/clearStoreCache.sh",
    ";uzb" : "/usr/bin/enableUSBInDemo.sh",
    ";duzb" : "/usr/bin/disableUSBInDemo.sh",
    ";dsts" : "/usr/bin/startSettingsInDemo.sh",
    ";enter_demo" : "/usr/bin/createDemoModeFlagFile.sh",
    ";exit_demo" : "/usr/bin/deleteDemoModeFlagFile.sh",
    ";demo" : "/usr/bin/demoConfig.sh",
    ";vfd" : "/usr/bin/verifyDemo.sh",
    ";wwreset" : "/usr/bin/wwReset.sh",
    ";chkup" : "/usr/bin/checkUpdate.sh",
    ";wwresetoverride" : "/usr/bin/wwResetOverride.sh",
    ";wwresetknown" : "/usr/bin/wwResetKnown.sh",
    ";att" : "/usr/bin/play.sh" ,
    ";astop" : "/usr/bin/stopPlay.sh",
    ";invertedPage" : "/usr/bin/pageTurnConfig.sh",
    ";jit" : "/usr/bin/resetTutorial.sh",
    ";bsalogOn" : "/usr/bin/bsaLogOn.sh",
    ";bsalogOff" : "/usr/bin/bsaLogOff.sh",
Note that ;demo requires that the device not be registered.
And perhaps other requirements, I haven't fully tested that shortcut yet.

Note ;chkup works, it will request a download if available next time you connect.
(Handy for trying out OTA Blocking methods. Nice of Lab126 to give us a unit test for that. )
You most likely want to be jail broken, have USBnetworking and Rescue Pack installed before you try that one out. There does not seem to be any way to cancel the download request from the todo list.

And ;urst does not fool around, try that one only if you want to kiss goodbye to everything you have on visible USB storage - it will repartition and reformat user storage.
It might also repartition and reformat /var/local - I didn't try this one out myself either.

Last edited by knc1; 04-02-2017 at 02:14 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:14 PM   #2
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
knc1,

We had a thread sometime back, where we discussed adding user defined short cuts to this list.
For me, it worked on my PW1, but not on my PW3 & KT3.
Will update again with full details.

At that time, you had just got your KT3 and said you would try adding user defined short cuts to see if they worked. Just a reminder... ;-)
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
knc1,

We had a thread sometime back, where we discussed adding user defined short cuts to this list.
For me, it worked on my PW1, but not on my PW3 & KT3.
Will update again with full details.

At that time, you had just got your KT3 and said you would try adding user defined short cuts to see if they worked. Just a reminder... ;-)
Install the current "Hotfix" package (does no harm if already installed) -
Then you will have them.

There is a dispatcher on ;log now, you can find reference copies of the scripting in visible USB storage.
That is not the copy that is executing, but it is an exact copy of what is running (it gets installed / auto-reinstalled from the copy in USB storage).

There are some rough spots in the scripting when it comes to extending it, but consider that it was created in only a few hours . . .
Yeah, it needs some help, but no one has tried to extend it and asked about what/how to fix it.
As long as no one wants to use it, it remains a non-issue.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:39 AM   #4
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
...Note ;chkup works, it will request a download if available next time you connect.
(Handy for trying out OTA Blocking methods. Nice of Lab126 to give us a unit test for that. )
You most likely want to be jail broken, have USBnetworking and Rescue Pack installed before you try that one out. There does not seem to be any way to cancel the download request from the todo list.
Thanks for this intriguing list (which I understand pretty much not at all ). However ...

Is it safe to use ;chkup if you do want to update your Kindle but are too lazy to download the update and transfer it manually, and too impatient to wait for Amazon to push it to your Kindle automatically?
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:02 AM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Thanks for this intriguing list (which I understand pretty much not at all ).
There is a description of some of these commands in the MobileRead wiki. Perhaps someone knows of more complete documentation somewhere else.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2017, 08:09 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thanks for this intriguing list (which I understand pretty much not at all ). However ...

Is it safe to use ;chkup if you do want to update your Kindle but are too lazy to download the update and transfer it manually, and too impatient to wait for Amazon to push it to your Kindle automatically?
It seems to be.

My AP has blinking lights to indicate use and uses WAP2 to be certain I am the only one using it.
So I feel I can trust the lights to indicate my KT3 (5.8.5).

I am also using ;dm plus transferring over USB the four message logs produced (to where I have a larger screen).

I have a couple of potential update blockers that I am testing.

So far:
*) Blockers in place.
*) Put online
*) KT3 tried (and failed) to do a silent OTA update.
*) Wait a week (there is a time delay between schedule retries).
*) Put online
*) Nothing - logs show delay was checked but I didn't have it on-line long enough for it to get organized.
*) Wait a few days
*) Put online
*) Nothing, not even had the delay checked
*) Offline
*) Enter: ;chkup
*) logs confirmed an update check was scheduled with the todo handler
*) Wait a few days
*) Online
*) Lights show more than usual activity
*) Offline
*) One of the OTA blockers being tested had been cleaned up (not all of them).
*) Logs show that an update check had been made and a download started.
And that the download had been interrupted by a Wifi disconnect (me).

So that seems to indicate to me that in the case of a device that requires an update, the ;ckup is working as described in the scripting.

Other cases not yet tested, but the scripting does seem to be written to safely handle other cases.
Such as:
;ckup on a device with same or newer than posted by Amazon firmware.
Various other failure path combinations.

= = = = =

I really don't want 5.8.8 on any of my devices, so testing this is not one of my top todo things.

But sure, give it a try, keep good notes, keep the logs and let me know what happens as an end result.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:50 AM   #7
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

nevermind

Last edited by odamizu; 04-08-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:39 PM   #8
odamizu
just an egg

KV currently on 5.8.7.0.1. I turned on WiFi and entered ;chkup in search bar about 9 hours ago. I even plugged in to ac power. So far no update.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:58 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
KV currently on 5.8.7.0.1. I turned on WiFi and entered ;chkup in search bar about 9 hours ago. I even plugged in to ac power. So far no update.
It is strange how updates hit some people minutes after being posted and other people can wait forever to not receive one.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:05 PM   #10
odamizu
just an egg

Yes. Also, after all this time, if I do get an update, I won't know if it was because I used ;chkup or Amazon deciding to push it to my Kindle at that time.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Yes. Also, after all this time, if I do get an update, I won't know if it was because I used ;chkup or Amazon deciding to push it to my Kindle at that time.
I have come across a reference to removing the update pending state from the internal todo list.
Not clear if we can make use of it for ourselves.

I was gone the past three days, working on my computer system.
Which still does not have all of its storage devices running properly.

Once, if ever, I get all of the disk space that is physically attached to the computer working, I will have enough to look into the OTA controls in detail.

geekmaster is currently going through a similar upheaval in his home computer setup. Needing to nearly rebuilding the entire setup.
It is a good thing we can do the work ourselves, if we had to send them out to a repair shop . . . .
Old 04-10-2017, 01:38 PM   #12
odamizu
just an egg

FYI, I did the ;dm thing and it does show that ;chkup was triggered, but still no update.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:14 PM   #13
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
I am worried about ;urst
It looks so easy just to type that in the search bar and hit Enter to erase user partition!

Do you guys think it is safe to link userstore_reset to a null device like this?
Code:
ln -s -b /dev/null /usr/sbin/userstore_reset
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:16 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

I do not think that ;urst is active in customer firmwares, only in the factory-use-only firmwares.

Now beware that I am writing this from memory, and my memory ...
Yeah, that is why I don't answer very many questions any longer.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:42 PM   #15
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
On my customer 5.9.6.1 I can still see it in /usr/sbin/userstore_reset and it is also listed in /usr/share/webkit-1.0/pillow/debug_cmds.json

By 'not active' do you mean that even if I trigger the script through search bar, it won't start? How do we check that?

Last edited by mergen3107; 12-17-2018 at 09:46 PM.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote