Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your #1 method of ebook discovery?
I browse book covers, and if it grabs me I investigate further 22 6.98%
I browse paper books at brick and mortar bookstores, then search for the ebook online 11 3.49%
Recommendations from fellow readers on online forums, blogs, message boards 82 26.03%
Personal friend/family member recommends it to me 13 4.13%
I look first for my favorite authors 56 17.78%
I read free ebooks, and if I like the author I buy their other titles 18 5.71%
I browse randomly then look at reviews 26 8.25%
I'll sample anything, and if it grabs me I'll download/buy it 12 3.81%
Bestseller lists for my favorite genres/topics 16 5.08%
Retailer recommendations (incl "people who bought this bought that") 16 5.08%
Reviews/recommendations from traditional media (newpapers, television, magazines) 11 3.49%
Other (please elaborate in comments!) 32 10.16%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #31
Shimarenda
Addict
Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Tablet
I typically discover a book through encountering it in another work. This mainly goes for nonfiction of course, but I discovered The Man Who Was Thursday through it's thematic use in Deus Ex.
Shimarenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #32
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I chose:

if those are my only choices.

But in reality, my number one method is: recommendations from other like-minded readers that it's taken me years to find. Whether they're online, down the street or across the hall.
Something similar for me. Word of mouth from an optimized set of sources including panels at sf-conventions, friends, and so on.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 11:13 AM   #33
Joonbug1
Groupie
Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This is a very helpful and informative topic that I didn't really think about before, so thank you to the OP for bringing it up. The responses are also enlightening.

I voted for "Reviews/recommendations from traditional media (newpapers, television, magazines)."
Joonbug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would go to Smashwords much more often if the site allowed direct ePub uploading instead of just Word documents.

I did have to choose other as I browse bookstores, get recommendations from forums such as this & from family, browse new books in the library, look for favorite authors. and other ways. There just isn't one way I sue more then others.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-20-2011 at 11:17 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #35
frddgls
Connoisseur
frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Forma, iPad, Samsung Galaxy A20
I chose other because browsing new library releases is my largest source.

I also browse the Mobile Read epub releases, the free sources listed in the Mobile Read Wiki, and the free books listed on the Kobo website.

I gather recommendations from friends, family, and on-line sources. When books I want to try are not available from the library I purchase them as either ebooks or paperbooks depending on price.

The largest number of books I have purchased have been from Feedbooks with coupons. Only one of these books was an author that was new to me. The rest were books by two authors that I discovered years ago in paper.
frddgls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #36
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would go to Smashwords much more often if the site allowed direct ePub uploading instead of just Word documents.
+1. Please, please, PLEASE can this be implemented? Super pretty please?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #37
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Retailer recommendations (incl "people who bought this bought that")
This.

I look at one book on Amazon, and I end up seeing the entire row of people who bought this bought that below it and wanting at least half of them.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:03 PM   #38
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
I chose:
Recommendations from fellow readers on online forums, blogs, message boards
which is -almost- correct.
Mostly it's from fellow readers of a couple of online book discussion groups. Finding people who like several of the same books you like gives you more confidence in their recommendations. I still order them from the library first. If I know I'll want to read it again, I buy it.
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:24 AM   #39
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
I use Bookpage it is available free at the library or online.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:08 AM   #40
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
+1. Please, please, PLEASE can this be implemented? Super pretty please?
Yeah, it's pretty silly that Amazon will accept epubs (run through KindleGen), but Smashwords doesn't...
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:22 AM   #41
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Time magazine comes up with some good stuff every now and again.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #42
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Yeah, it's pretty silly that Amazon will accept epubs (run through KindleGen), but Smashwords doesn't...
Especially since it's relatively simple to covert from epub to other things. From Word to other things is so much more painful.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #43
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I look for new books from my favorite authors first. Then I look online to see if they have forums and join those. The discussions of other authors that other people like on these forums lead me to new authors to check out.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #44
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Especially since it's relatively simple to covert from epub to other things. From Word to other things is so much more painful.
Ana, the site tells you they sell Smashed Word documents on the homepage, and reminds you throughout. Don't act indignant.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #45
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Ana, the site tells you they sell Smashed Word documents on the homepage, and reminds you throughout. Don't act indignant.
??

I'm not indignant. I'm asking for increased functionality for authors, because it's a lot easier to load a clean, validated epub than to load ANYTHING (particularly a Word document) and hope for a good conversion (with results that you can't manually tweak, no less).

And I'm fully aware that Smashwords policy is clearly defined.

So, um, yeah.

Tags
ebook discovery, poll