Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: If you have a large collection, have you read every book?
I have read every book 24 8.92%
I have not read every book, but I plan to 157 58.36%
I am not concerned with reading every book, I just like collecting 69 25.65%
I do not have a large collection 9 3.35%
Other 10 3.72%
Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #31
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I started reading ebooks in 2000 with baen books and have all the baen books. I have read them all, or at least partially read them all (some I didn't care for). Until I got my Sony 500 and the Sony store opened up, I only had a hand full of ebooks that weren't from Baen. Now, I have about 400 more books between Sony and Amazon, which puts me at around 1000. I only have twenty or thirty PD books. I would have a lot more if the books that I have in dead tree format would come out in ebook format. There are quite a few copyright holders who are leaving money on the table by not entering the ebook market.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #32
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I have a few over 5,000 ebooks right now-- more that I have of pbooks, despite having a bookcase in every room including closets and bathrooms. I'll never read all or even most books, but when I finish one, I like to browse through them and pick out which one I feel like reading next.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #33
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
There are quite a few copyright holders who are leaving money on the table by not entering the ebook market.
Maybe, but don't forget that it costs money to bring out an ebook. If, and my understanding is that until recently this was a big if, the book was saved in a compatible electronic format during the printing process, then it shouldn't cost all that much-but if it wasn't (and if we're talking about a decent quality ebook) then it'd cost a fair amount. Haven't really seen any studies on just how much as too much is dependent on variables, such as the aforementioned variable of whether or not the book was saved in electronic format.

I'll grant you that they're 'leaving money on the table' but until I see more figures on both costs & projected sales I'm not sure I'll grant you that they're leaving any profit on the table-more likely to be losses. (At least they probably *think* it's more likely to be losses. In predicting future sales beliefs often have more influence than facts.)

Last edited by calvin-c; 04-21-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: cleaned up grammar
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #34
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Me, I'm a collector of media content. In the moment I possess 1,25 TB of capacity to fill with every worthwhile media at hand. So far Ihave only 700 GB occupied with content, mostly animated films and series (I'm an otaku ^^). But I intend to keep loading movies, music, videogames, ebooks, manga, comics, and so on, until those 1250 GB get filled. And once they do, I'll expand the space, ideally with 1 TB more. I have watched perhaps a third of the anime and some of the animated series, but as you can guess, my goal is not to consume it all. Eventually I'd like to get a content consumption device other than my PC, but I don't count on it coming soon. The iPad is a promising concept, but I'll wait until a company friendlier to different formats offers its proposal. My iTouch won't let me see any of the video I've gathered, for example.

Once that I've set up that idea, you can guess that having something like 6 thousand books at the moment is just the dog's biscuits for me. I intend to acquire many more, if possible.
Your iPod Touch will play all of your video. There is a wonderful app call Air Video that will stream video from your PC to your Touch over Wifi. Air Video can pre-convert the video for you or convert it on the fly. I've tried it with several different formats using on the fly conversion and it worked flawlessly. Great picture, no buffering etc...There is a free version you can download to try it, the full app costs ~$3.00.

Oh, 10,000+ books, I'll never read them all.
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:59 AM   #35
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemc2 View Post
Your iPod Touch will play all of your video. There is a wonderful app call Air Video that will stream video from your PC to your Touch over Wifi. Air Video can pre-convert the video for you or convert it on the fly. I've tried it with several different formats using on the fly conversion and it worked flawlessly. Great picture, no buffering etc...There is a free version you can download to try it, the full app costs ~$3.00.

Oh, 10,000+ books, I'll never read them all.
I guess I could give it a try, let's see if it's in the Spanish store. However, my iPod doesn't play even Quicktime's official formats. I believe it has something to do with the device itself.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:36 AM   #36
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
I've been seriously reading ebooks since '99 or so, when I got one of the very first Palm Vx-es. I have some 30.000 ebooks (yes, I'm a hoarder ), so I'll never read them all. Not even if I could keep my speed up to that during my holidays; even that would be the equivalent of 'only' 600 or so books a year, and being 45 now...

And of course real life gets in the way of that anyway
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:58 AM   #37
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I'm a total bibliophile. I love having books; except that the pbooks are taking over my house like triffids! I've stopped accumulating pbooks and moved to hoarding ebooks. So many books taking up so little space. Bliss!

I intend to read them all. But I may have to take a few lifetimes to do it.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #38
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I intend to read them all. But I may have to take a few lifetimes to do it.

Perfect. That's my line, and I'm sticking to it!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #39
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
This thread reinforces my view that people see reading a book to be an accomplishment.

Nobody stops to think about how many television shows he has seen.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:45 PM   #40
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
This thread reinforces my view that people see reading a book to be an accomplishment.

Nobody stops to think about how many television shows he has seen.
Reading books is more of an accomplishment than watching television. It implies choosing a book, unlike television where the choice is made for you, and sticking to its reading rather intensively, as reading a book usually prevents other activities, while terebi (as the Japanese call it) demands less mental effort, as the imagery is shown to you and you don't have to create it with your imagination like in a book, and it usually features advertising breaks. Plus, books are more prone for building collections than TV shows, which are only seen on TV and not stored.

A sense of accomplishment in the field of television and cinema can be achieved by acquiring a large collection of movies and/or series.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #41
Mrraow
Bookworm
Mrraow doesn't litterMrraow doesn't litter

Device: Opus
About 5,000 pbooks, and around 2,000 ebooks. I've read just about all of them (and the rest are queued) in one format or the other. However, I'm trying to vitualise my collection to save space; so I may not have read many of the ebooks in that format. When I was young, i used to read several books a day; these days, I read maybe two to three books a week; less time, and the books are getting longer!
Mrraow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:51 PM   #42
thersites
Enthusiast
thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad & PocketBook 360
I chose other, as I don't do it to collect, but I also don't plan to read them all. Time goes by, and I sometimes lose interest in a book that I thought was interesting at the time I found it. This latter tends to happen with non-fiction, and less so with fiction. I also recognize the futility of thinking I can read them all unless I stop picking up new books for a long time, and I don't seem constitutionally capable of such behavior.
thersites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:44 AM   #43
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
I have read everybook, More than once.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #44
rorschach
rorschach began at the beginning.

Device: none
At last count I have over 156, 000 ebooks.
I have no intention of reading anywhere like that.

At the mo' I have about 6 K catalogued in Calibre, multiple formats
I seem to be downloading about 1,000 a month currently, I expect this will slow down eventually as I run out of books. I have loads of copies of the same book. For example my Stephen King folder has about 2 k books and I don't think he's written that many
rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorschach View Post
At last count I have over 156, 000 ebooks.
I have no intention of reading anywhere like that.

At the mo' I have about 6 K catalogued in Calibre, multiple formats
I seem to be downloading about 1,000 a month currently, I expect this will slow down eventually as I run out of books. I have loads of copies of the same book. For example my Stephen King folder has about 2 k books and I don't think he's written that many
It's really not a terribly good idea to come to MobileRead and brag about your criminal activities. Nobody is going to think it "cool", and nobody is going to lift one finger to help you should you ever find yourself in need of any assistance.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote