repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
some educated guesses about the dr800

well nothing very important..
but reading here:
http://www.solidfx.com/SOLIDFX_FX8specs.htm

I think you understand that the battery lasts up to 24 hours of continuous reading and that could be replaceable..
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
I've never seen that before, had no idea iRex rebranded their products. I'm still trying to figure out why the "FX8" costs $1200. The picture shows a bunch of on-screen icons; it must have a lot more functionality than the 800 to warrant that price but as far as I can tell it doesn't list any additional features, other than it coming with current Jeppesen data and FXview software.

As far as battery life goes, it'll easily work for 24 consecutive hours. Charged mine 6 days ago and it still has a 50% charge.

Last edited by The-eBook-Reader; 03-05-2010 at 08:29 AM.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
I've never seen that before, had no idea iRex rebranded their products. I'm still trying to figure out why the "FX8" costs $1200. The picture shows a bunch of on-screen icons; it must have a lot more functionality than the 800 to warrant that price but as far as I can tell it doesn't list any additional features, other than it coming with current Jeppesen data and FXview software.

As far as battery life goes, it'll easily work for 24 consecutive hours. Charged mine 6 days ago and it still has a 50% charge.
The difference in price is primarily due to the Jeppesen data. Updated approach chart subscription services can be quite expensive.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
No moving map capability either.
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
It's interesting that the packaging matches the european and usa versions exactly... down to the accessories (protective sleeve vs protective gel sleeve, advanced stylus vs standard stylus).

It makes one think that instead of wasting money on a separate production line, the company just buys the retail versions of the dr800, load the chart software, add some logo stickers, and perhaps change the box. And there is no price difference between the two versions (both at $1,195.00).

If anyone is curious, IREX has had their readers rebranded for the aviation market since the Iliad days.

They have some training videos for their software on the DR1000 variant. It may give you some idea of the interface for the dr800 version:

Last edited by badbob001; 03-05-2010 at 10:23 AM.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
I've never seen that before, had no idea iRex rebranded their products. I'm still trying to figure out why the "FX8" costs $1200.
iRex has been doing this since the beginning. Their original business model was to only Engineer the hardware and partner with other companies that would rebrand the devices. The first iLiads weren't even available to consumers until people started begging iRex to sell directly to them because the hardware specs were so much better than any of the first generation consumer eReaders of the time.

As someone else mentioned, the price is related to the additional data that is loaded on them. Not sure about the FX10/FX8, but the eFlyBook included a subscription for chart updates, etc.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote