Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Writer2ePub

Notices

Old 10-24-2013, 05:36 AM   #1
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Selective paragraph indent

Luke, congratulations to your fantastic tool! I love it!

With OO is it possible to indent paragraphs (i. e. the first line of a paragraph). Works well, but typographically correct is to oppress indenting at the beginning of a new chapter, and I see no way to operate it generally, that means once for the whole document in my OO template.

But, wow, creating an epub with your tool, I see that it creates not-indented first paragraphs after chapter beginning automagically!

How do you control this? - Or, is there a way to anticipate it in OO itself?

(Sure I can create separate css styles and apply them via Sigil etc., but this means hard manual work).

Thanks for your answer!
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:32 AM   #2
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator
eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Cybook Bebook iLiad Kindle HanlinV2 Readius SonyPRS500 SonyPRS700 etc
HI,

if you avoid blanks lines between headings and text, you'll get what you want…
In the CSS is specified "p+p", so only a paragraph following another paragraph will be indented.
If a paragraph is following an heading, it will be not indented…
Obviously, if you leave a blank paragraph after the heading, that will be the non-indented paragraph

Otherwise, if your first paragraph is following a non-heading style, you need to create a w2e_something style with no indent and apply it manually…

Luke

Last edited by eBookLuke; 10-25-2013 at 04:34 AM.
eBookLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:00 AM   #3
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBookLuke View Post
In the CSS is specified "p+p", so only a paragraph following another paragraph will be indented.
This is new to me, and I'll try it soon.

Thanks again!
Old 10-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
HI,

if you avoid blanks lines between headings and text, you'll get what you want…
Obviously, if you leave a blank paragraph after the heading, that will be the non-indented paragraph

Otherwise, if your first paragraph is following a non-heading style, you need to create a w2e_something style with no indent and apply it manually…

Luke
I would think a h2+p would be better for this (or whatever h level you are using). Code the exception as an exception is better since inheritance of other properties on the paragraph would be automatic. If you don't depend in inheritance then either would work.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
Leonatus
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I would think a h2+p would be better for this (or whatever h level you are using). Code the exception as an exception is better since inheritance of other properties on the paragraph would be automatic. If you don't depend in inheritance then either would work.
I tested it following your advise, and it really works fantasically. Thus, I economize a lot of work. Thank you once more!
Old 10-31-2013, 03:46 AM   #6
Leonatus
Wizard

Another question, Luke (at the risk to become a pain in your neck): In the produced epub, hyphenation often takes place (in the German variant) at the "most impossible" locations in the middle of a word, whereas they (mostly) do not in the OO template. Do I have to take care for some special settings in OO to achieve "smarter" hyphenation?
Mille grazie, Luke!

I forgot to mention that, after creating the epub, I usually go through Sigil with it and convert it with Calibre. There are various options to set "smart hyphenation" that I use. But what I notice is that, in epubs not produced with your tool, the result is sometimes more satisfying. So my conclusion is that it could be the OO template that is responsible.

Last edited by Leonatus; 10-31-2013 at 03:51 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator
eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
In the produced epub, hyphenation often takes place (in the German variant) at the "most impossible" locations in the middle of a word, whereas they (mostly) do not in the OO template. Do I have to take care for some special settings in OO to achieve "smarter" hyphenation?
Nice question!
First: Hyphenation is not handle in the EPUB file, but in the EPUB reading software.
Second, the correct hyphenation is function of the language used, because the hyphenation rules change from a language to another.
So, do you specify the right language in the metadata window of W2E?
If your text is Italian, but you mark the text as German, the reading software will use German rules for hyphenation!

Quote:
I forgot to mention that, after creating the epub, I usually go through Sigil with it and convert it with Calibre. There are various options to set "smart hyphenation" that I use. But what I notice is that, in epubs not produced with your tool, the result is sometimes more satisfying. So my conclusion is that it could be the OO template that is responsible.
Probably, Calibre just sets the right language…
About Sigil, the latest versions make deep changes in the code, and sometimes introduce errors. Please uncheck "clean source code" in the preferences to avoid damages.
Anyway, if you can send to me the two EPUB, the one as generated by W2E and the other reworked by Calibre I will check them for improvements…

Thanks

Luke
Old 10-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
Leonatus
Wizard

Quote:
So, do you specify the right language in the metadata window of W2E?
Yes. I also look at the metadata editor in Sigil.

Quote:
About Sigil, the latest versions make deep changes in the code, and sometimes introduce errors. Please uncheck "clean source code" in the preferences to avoid damages.
Maybe a good hint! Thanks!

Quote:
Anyway, if you can send to me the two EPUB, the one as generated by W2E and the other reworked by Calibre I will check them for improvements…
I'll not be here during weekend, but afterwards I'll do it. Simply send you a PM?
Old 10-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
I'll not be here during weekend, but afterwards I'll do it. Simply send you a PM?
Better if you send the files to writer2epub[at]gmail.com…
Don't forget to write why you send the files, my memory is really weak!

Luke