Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #17596
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
I just read about this a couple of days ago. I found the premise of the story fascinating, and put it on hold at the library (there are over thirty people in front of me, so it'll be a while till I get it)
There are 74 in line in front of me at my library! Yikes.

Of course there are over 300 people in line for the first Jack Reacher novel and only 2 copies, that one will be a wait.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #17597
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Now I'm going to complete Frankenstein for the very first time. So far, it's been a mix of interesting and not so interesting passages, but I'm hoping it picks up a little, or at least lays on some seriously heavy atmosphere for me to savour.
Finished this one. I liked it but I feel like gothic horror is perhaps not my thing. It's so drenched in the romantic that it's sometimes difficult for the heavy atmosphere of foreboding and dread to really punch through and grip me. There were a couple of moments that gave me a small jolt and they were welcome.

I liked the implications of responsibility on the creation of life and the entwined fates of both Frankenstein and the creature. With the alternate title - The Modern Prometheus, I liked looking at the story from a couple of more philosophical angles.

Anyway, as usual, I don't regret reading it.

Now, I'm dipping a toe in the water with Stephen King's The Gunslinger. I've actually had the whole Dark Tower series on my shelf for a couple of years but have never made the move to start it. Now is as good a time as any to see whether the purchase was worthwhile.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #17598
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Midst Toil and Tribulation by David Weber. The latest in his Safehold series, now at a sensible price as the paperback has come out.
Whew! Finished! that was a long book. But back on form, IMO.

Now onto the latest Grantville Gazette. Good so far.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #17599
greenasterisk
Enthusiast
greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I am reading Way of the Knife by Mark Mazzetti
greenasterisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #17600
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finished Axis by Robert Charles Wilson. I guess it was an okay book, but I just didn't like it as much as Spin, the first book in the trilogy. I will have to read the third book Vortex at some point.

For now, I am more excited to start reading Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan. It looks like a good fantasy/adventure series. I actually won one of the books in a giveaway, signed by the author himself! Super cool.

Last edited by PurpleStar; 09-06-2013 at 10:49 AM.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #17601
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I've finally reached the last page of The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama. This wasn't always easy to read since the US political system is so different from what I know. Although, all in all, it was a very nice read.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #17602
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Christopher Buecheler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I ordered the paperback of Joyland (I couldn't find an ebook ) from Amazon because I just couldn't get into Magic Rises even after reading 5 1/2 chapters of it! So I'm reading Joyland next and putting Magic Rises aside.
I really enjoyed reading Joyland even though it was only available as a paper book! I'm so.. not a fan of reading books that are not digitally published.

Now on to Christopher Buecheler's new offering, The Broken God Machine!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:57 AM   #17603
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished Dragonquest, on to White Dragon. I have to say, I'm enjoying this re-read. It's been years and years since I read these early Pern books and they have mostly stood the test of time.
Finished it this afternoon, and I definitely enjoyed this re-read. Now, on to something completely different -- Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods. This is his story of hiking the Appalachian Trail. And, like all Bryson's books, it is extremely funny! I don't know how I missed this when it first released, but I saw it at my Library for download and jumped on it. I'm two chapters into it, and my DW and I are doing dramatic readings back and forth to each other, with both of us laughing uncontrollably.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:17 AM   #17604
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Finished it this afternoon, and I definitely enjoyed this re-read. Now, on to something completely different -- Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods. This is his story of hiking the Appalachian Trail. And, like all Bryson's books, it is extremely funny! I don't know how I missed this when it first released, but I saw it at my Library for download and jumped on it. I'm two chapters into it, and my DW and I are doing dramatic readings back and forth to each other, with both of us laughing uncontrollably.
This is such a wonderful telling of the AT experience! I've hiked the full length of it, although I did it in three segments, never having the time and the money at the same time do walk it end-to-end, and could relate to every situation he spoke of. The characters that you meet along the trail are what really keep it interesting on a daily basis, and Bryson describes them to a 'T!' Anyone who's done any long distance backpacking can internalize every word! Very enjoyable reading on every page.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:44 AM   #17605
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Whew! Finished! that was a long book. But back on form, IMO.

Now onto the latest Grantville Gazette. Good so far.
And enjoyable throughout. But not one to start with, being #49!

Now onto Gold from Gemini by Jonathan Gash. Another of his Lovejoy series.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:02 AM   #17606
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Just finished the brand new Hugo winner, Redshirts by John Scalzi. I quite liked it. It feels a little bit lightweight to be carrying the whole genre for 2012, but it's a good read, and that's probably enough. It starts off humorous, then sags a bit when it goes all meta, then pulls it back at the end(s).
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #17607
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Loved the part about the shopping cart load of Little Debbie cakes.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #17608
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Loved the part about the shopping cart load of Little Debbie cakes.
Yup. And his pre-hike fascination with bears had us laughing uncontrollably. His scatological description of his death from fear if four bears got in his camp was priceless. As a writer, I would die happy knowing I had written those few lines.
Spoiler:
I was especially riveted by an amateur photograph in Herrero’s book, taken late at night by a camper with a flash at a campground out West. The photograph caught four black bears as they puzzled over a suspended food bag. The bears were clearly startled but not remotely alarmed by the flash. It was not the size or demeanor of the bears that troubled me—they looked almost comically unaggressive, like four guys who had gotten a Frisbee caught up a tree—but their numbers. Up to that moment it had not occurred to me that bears might prowl in parties. What on earth would I do if four bears came into my camp? Why, I would die, of course. Literally shit myself lifeless. I would blow my sphincter out my backside like one of those unrolling paper streamers you get at children’s parties—I daresay it would even give a merry toot—and bleed to a messy death in my sleeping bag.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #17609
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I used my lunch break to read The Man Who Bridged the Mist by Kij Johnson. It is a Nebula and Hugo Award winning novella (although my word count puts it into the "novelette" range). It was an interesting story, although I am not sure I like the ending. Maybe that is the engineer in me speaking out. I would love to see a longer version of this story or something else that explains some of the mysteries in their world.
I ended up reading 26 Monkeys, Also the Abyss by Kij Johnson as well. Another entertaining story. I am very glad so many authors put some stories on their websites.

I just finished Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear. Excellent story! I will need to try more by him in the future.

Next up is World War Z since it came in at the library. Should be a fun, quick read.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #17610
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
Staying with the genre, but changed the author for the next novel: Jackdaws by Ken Follett.
Finished Jackdaws and enjoyed it. Run-of-the-mill WW2 espionage thriller, but a solid page-turner with a likable main character and a Gestapo officer that was only partly made of cardboard.

For the next novel, I'm a little torn between tackling Steve Berry's Cotton Malone series (starting with The Templar Legacy) or diving into Daniel Abraham's The Dagger and the Coin fantasy series, starting with The Dragon's Path. I picked up the first book of each series, so maybe I'll sample-read a couple chapters in each.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote