Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
Msan
Enthusiast
Msan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Glow, iPad3
Question 2.5.2 Hacks?

Do any of the hacks for the k2i work under 2.5.2 ?
Msan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
Msan
Enthusiast

well, I just tried the screen saver hack for the k2i, but it didnt work.. Guess we need new hacks..
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
GPilotino
GPilotino began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX US
If you can Telnet your Kindle, you can change the screensaver's pictures directly on the file system. I could with DX US v2.5
GPilotino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
Msan
Enthusiast

Don't you need to install some kind of hack to be able to telnet in?
Old 06-09-2010, 06:22 AM   #5
GPilotino
GPilotino began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX US
I've followed this:
http://jyavariousideas.blogspot.com/...tethering.html

But, I've done it when my Kindle was on 2.3, then I've upgraded to 2.5 from file.
I'm outside US.

And now I still can access by Telnet
GPilotino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 05:23 AM   #6
911jason
Zealot
911jason doesn't litter911jason doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
That looks a bit... uh... deep for most users.

Hopefully, now that the 2.5.2 Firmware has been officially released to the public on Amazon's site, one of the programming wizards here will update the hacks or create new ones for us.

We all wait with baited breath! =)
911jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Well, the folks at lab126 have fixed their update script to not mount the root filesystem as writable until after the update has been extracted. This means that the current method of using a tarbomb to place our own digital signing certificate on the device is now useless.

We'll keep looking for other ways in. The Kindle Apps might be a possible solution.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
Granvillen
Enthusiast
Granvillen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2i., K3
It seems that Calibre is writing to the Root Directory.
Granvillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granvillen View Post
It seems that Calibre is writing to the Root Directory.
Anyone can write to the root directory (or any directory) of the usb filesystem, not the root filesystem.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
Granvillen
Enthusiast

Got it!
Old 06-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #11
Granvillen
Enthusiast

Just in from Kindle Blogs:

Many of you have been asking and I wasn’t able to give you an answer. Well… now that 2.5.2 is available for everyone to download from Amazon.com website, it’s official. Amazon has fixed the tarbomb vulnerability in the update installer. So jailberaking and hacking the Kindle is not possible now unless you are willing to mess with hardware or have something like telnet or “unbrick” hack (that doesn’t interfere with official updates) installed. If you do, then you should know your way around Kindle well enough to be able to replace fonts yourself. If you don’t then you’ll have to stick with reading Unicode on Kindle via PDF or figure out how to hack it for yourself.

As simple as UFH installation was, some people still bricked their devices with the old hack for one reason or another. So until a new method of jailbreaking the Kindle is found that is as simple as the old ones, I’m going to postpone UFH development.

Sorry, I wish I had better news for you.

Read more: http://blogkindle.com/#ixzz0qwiIaqPf
Old 06-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #12
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granvillen View Post
Sorry, I wish I had better news for you.
Well, now that it's official, let the hacking season officially begin!

Yes, 2.5.2 is just as hackable as 2.3. The "tarbomb" doesn't work, that is true. But jailbreaking is possible, and it has been achieved (many thanks to our Chinese comrades-in-arms who came up with the idea without knowing they were coming up with the idea for a general jailbreak).

Those who read Russian can read about it on our Russian ebook forums.

The easy guide in English:

1) Install jailbreak for your Kindle type. The installation will fail, but that's OK.
2) Install hacks. Installation of hacks made with --sign option but without --ex option should succeed. If the installation failed, you probably didn't install jailbreak.
3) Remove jailbreak

Yes, one will have to re-build the hacks, sorry.

As far as the so called "Unicode hack" (the name doesn't mean anything really, since Kindle understands Unicode without any hacks; this is basically a font substitution hack), I recommend using our hack, which can survive the upgrade from 2.3 to 2.5.X, and hopefully will survive the future upgrades as well. Its idea is based on USB Networking and Chinese font hack.

Last edited by porkupan; 06-15-2010 at 06:19 PM.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #13
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
So there is hope porkupan? Keep us updated, and in English, puleease!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:13 AM   #14
dkb
ebook enthusiast
dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone, Sony PRS-350, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
This may be a dumb question, but can there be a Kindle app to allow for customized screen savers? Didn't Amazon announce they were allowing apps? I would even pay for a Kindle app that would allow me to personalize the screen savers.
dkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:37 AM   #15
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkb View Post
This may be a dumb question, but can there be a Kindle app to allow for customized screen savers? Didn't Amazon announce they were allowing apps? I would even pay for a Kindle app that would allow me to personalize the screen savers.
That is the theory on Amazon forum - Amazon closed the gap so that we end up paying for the font and screensaver hack. Except if an app developer can do it, so can one of our clever people on kindle board forums....
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote