Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-28-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
ghostwheel
Zealot
ghostwheel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DBoox Max,Galaxy note 10.1 & 3,LE1700 tablet,sony PRS-500,iRex DR1000S
Trend or fluke?

I am currently reading Gene Wolfe's The Wizard Knight (excellent book till now).
The book is somewhat on the heavy side (~2 phonbooks worth), so I thought I'd also get it in electronic form. Since I only get a version I can convert to any future reader I'll own, I only buy DRM books in .lit format. A short search revealed that the book was available in lit format from fictionwise
http://www.mslit.com/details.asp?bookid=0312712006
but not anymore, it seems:
http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook20074.htm?cache
It is, however available for the kindle (at $7.99 much cheaper than the $19.95 for the fictionwise version), and also for the sony reader (here for $13.96).
Did people notice a similar trend? Are books disappearing from fictionwise in lit and other formats?
ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:58 AM   #2
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Good question, I hope not.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Extrapolating a "trend" from one data point is perhaps a little unwise . We'll have to wait and see.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Tor is kinda in limbo right now as far as ebooks go. The one's they do have out are generally very high priced and many of them were only out for a while before being pulled. It looks like they do have some kind of deal with Amazon for some titles. Rumor is that some form of the deal they had with Webscriptions is back on once the lawyers get through.

It looks like you can get the book you linked to in Mobi format still, but at the higher (based on HC) price. Note that the second half, The Wizard, doesn't appear to be available as an ebook anywhere.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwheel View Post
I am currently reading Gene Wolfe's The Wizard Knight (excellent book till now).
The book is somewhat on the heavy side (~2 phonbooks worth), so I thought I'd also get it in electronic form. Since I only get a version I can convert to any future reader I'll own, I only buy DRM books in .lit format. A short search revealed that the book was available in lit format from fictionwise
http://www.mslit.com/details.asp?bookid=0312712006
but not anymore, it seems:
http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook20074.htm?cache
It is, however available for the kindle (at $7.99 much cheaper than the $19.95 for the fictionwise version), and also for the sony reader (here for $13.96).
Did people notice a similar trend? Are books disappearing from fictionwise in lit and other formats?
Sometimes publishers pull eBooks. It's happened before.

The odd thing is The Wizard is not available at all in any format. So why even have book 1 when there is no book 2?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2008, 10:57 AM   #6
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
To force a sale of the hard-cover book 2, of course.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
To force a sale of the hard-cover book 2, of course.
I am not so sure since right now the new hc Wizard is selling at a remainder price of 4.99 on Amazon, while a used like new tpb can be had for 4$ (including sh).

Just leaving revenue on the table..
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's even sillier when the latter part of a series is available as an eBook, but not the earlier part of it. Eg, books 4 and 5 and David Eddings' "Belgariad" series are available as an eBook, but not books 1-3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:18 PM   #9
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's even sillier when the latter part of a series is available as an eBook, but not the earlier part of it. Eg, books 4 and 5 and David Eddings' "Belgariad" series are available as an eBook, but not books 1-3.
My ongoing complaint to the publishers. I did send a note to Amazon pointing out that I had found an intriguing book in their Kindle catalog which was #4 in a series. But since #1-3 are not available, they're losing 4 book sales, not just one. It does look like the catalog is slowly filling up with older books. I definitely want to collect many of my "all time favorites".
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote