Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #1
ELMIT
ELMIT began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Just installed Calibre - How to use Gutenberg?

I just installed Calibre and got some questions.

I want to download some free books from Project Gutenberg, which I know are there, like The Iron Boys in the Steel Mills by James R. Mears

I click on Get books, and deselect all but Project Gutenberg. When I querey any book (including "The Iron Boys in the Steel Mills") I get nothing found.

What do I miss?

Ronald
ELMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I had not tried this before, but what worked for me is Get Books -> Stores -> Project Guttenberg. This brought up what looks like PG's standard web page, but inside Calibre. I searched (search book catalog) for Iron Boys in the Steel Mills. Got one hit and clicked on "EPUB with Images". This automatically downloaded the ebook into Calibre.

There probably are other ways to do this, but if you want just one store this method works well.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMIT View Post
I just installed Calibre and got some questions.

I want to download some free books from Project Gutenberg, which I know are there, like The Iron Boys in the Steel Mills by James R. Mears

I click on Get books, and deselect all but Project Gutenberg. When I querey any book (including "The Iron Boys in the Steel Mills") I get nothing found.

What do I miss?

Ronald
You might check here (first) in our own MR Library https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=132
Members have taken a lot of public domain (includes PG) books and given the a lot of TLC
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The PG site has changed, the next calibre release will have updated code to deal with it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You might check here (first) in our own MR Library
I agree that if there is a MR version, it is often the best available.

I had not been a fan of Calibre's general Get Books capability, because I found it produces too many hits for simple searches.

However, both the Project Guttenberg and the MobileRead "Store" interfaces work very well, even though they are entirely different. It helps if you click on the binoculars for advanced search.

The all sites search does work better if you select an ebook for an existing author in your library and "Search for this author".
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert