Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
So Soon?

Read these yesterday:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Kindle-F...ews-14213.html

http://www.inrumor.com/in/lifestyle/...n-may-or-june/

Last edited by obsessed2; 02-19-2012 at 01:02 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Nope, just in time to go up against with the ipad 3.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
Nope, just in time to go up against with the ipad 3.

Good point. Let's see how long it takes Apple to sue Amazon once the Fire 2 comes out.

Looks like Apple is getting a dose of its own medicine in China as iPad2s are being removed from the shelves in one of the largest world markets over patent naming rights. What goes around comes around.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/meet...ipad-50007006/

Last edited by obsessed2; 02-19-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
I actually figured we'd see another model by March or April. So a full 6 or so months is a long solo run for the Fire.
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverjuly View Post
I actually figured we'd see another model by March or April. So a full 6 or so months is a long solo run for the Fire.
Two thoughts come into play here Imho.

Leave well enough alone as the KF obviously blew away the NT with sales and will continue to do well for awhile in this price range. OR push forward riding momentum and see how it goes. It is all going to depend on the price and features. Tryiñg to compete with the Asus Prime or IPAD3 I wish amazon good luck. I am not a buyer in their price range.

Last edited by robertc88; 02-20-2012 at 10:42 AM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Sounds like rubbish, especially the first article.

I keep hearing the rumor that Amazon loses money on each KF. If the article is correct in that Amazon loses $50 per KF and they have sold 16 million of them, then they have taken a $800 million loss--that's nearly a billion dollars. I find that highly unlikely. I also doubt that Amazon is losing money on the KF. It has been shown many times that a KF can be built for way less than the $200 price tag. Total rubbish.

In all the years Amazon has been turning out Kindles they have never updated a current model in less than a year after it was released. The updates have averaged closer to 1.5 years apart. So I doubt we will see an updated KF 7 inch model this soon. Why? The bugger is outselling all the other 7 inch tablets combined!

Amazon might release a larger tablet, but it won't replace the current KF.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:03 AM   #7
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
I read elsewhere that the original 50 $ loss on each KF was revised to like only $5 to $10 loss on each and as they ordered more parts to keep up with demand surely they got better part price breaks from the component suppliers

Now that round 1 is done the R&D costs are paid and now its profit.
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
jduck
Connoisseur
jduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it is

Device: kindle Fire
Not to mention that I'm sure they count on some amount of content sales for each Fire sold (and I'm sure they have a pretty good estimate on that amount).

And this is not even just Kindle content. Since getting my Fire in November I've bought a total of ONE kindle book, gotten a lot of free apps but not any paid ones, did not buy Prime, never paid for any Amazon video. But my purchases of physical stuff on Amazon in the last 4 months are probably double what they would otherwise have been, just because the Fire got me thinking Amazon-first, both during the pre-order period and then especially during the free month of Prime located smack-dab in Christmas shopping season. So they have more than made up for any $5-10 loss they may have taken on my Fire.
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Looks like Apple is getting a dose of its own medicine in China as iPad2s are being removed from the shelves in one of the largest world markets over patent naming rights. What goes around comes around.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/meet...ipad-50007006/
It has nothing whatever to do with patents. It's a trademark issue.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I bet there is a pretty good percentage of folks owning the KF who have not met expected follow through for buying books, apps,etc.

And I bet the price of the KF will drop real soon.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It has nothing whatever to do with patents. It's a trademark issue.
Your right. I guess with all the Apple patent lawsuits against (insert company name here) I wasn't think clearly. Thanks for straightening me out. Karma?

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...k_dispute.html

Last edited by obsessed2; 02-21-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Sounds like rubbish, especially the first article.

I keep hearing the rumor that Amazon loses money on each KF. If the article is correct in that Amazon loses $50 per KF and they have sold 16 million of them, then they have taken a $800 million loss--that's nearly a billion dollars. I find that highly unlikely. I also doubt that Amazon is losing money on the KF. It has been shown many times that a KF can be built for way less than the $200 price tag. Total rubbish.

In all the years Amazon has been turning out Kindles they have never updated a current model in less than a year after it was released. The updates have averaged closer to 1.5 years apart. So I doubt we will see an updated KF 7 inch model this soon. Why? The bugger is outselling all the other 7 inch tablets combined!

Amazon might release a larger tablet, but it won't replace the current KF.

Amazon isn't losing $50 on every Fire it sells. I took that part of the article with a grain of salt. It's more like $10 and then Amazon is gambling they will make a profit off of Apps, Movies, Prime etc. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393947,00.asp

I don't think that we will see an updated KF 7 inch model anytime soon but there does seem to be some credibility to a late spring release of a slightly larger tablet.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Amazon isn't losing $50 on every Fire it sells. I took that part of the article with a grain of salt. It's more like $10 and then Amazon is gambling they will make a profit off of Apps, Movies, Prime etc. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393947,00.asp
That's assuming they're correct on their estimates. Amazon could just as easily be making $10 a unit as opposed to losing it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #14
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
That's assuming they're correct on their estimates. Amazon could just as easily be making $10 a unit as opposed to losing it.
I think they are easily making $10 per unit, maybe more. Delivering the Fire at such a low cost was a brilliant marketing strategy that is probably already paying back huge dividends. I'm just hoping they use the same strategy when marketing the KF2. I bought the KF for my son and I dabble with it often so I can definitely see a KF2 in my future if it's at the right price.

Last edited by obsessed2; 02-21-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #15
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Well, I hope that if/when the next Fire makes it out, there's an SD slot.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote