Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Orson Scott Card

Orson Scott Card's homophobia has once again caused a major explosion in the online book world.

http://www.metafilter.com/107242/I-d...er-Hamlet-said

Multiple interesting links in the comments section. I think I'm done with Mr. Card.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
And besides... I hear it doesn't hold a candle to the original, anyway.

EDIT: I admit that I've never read any of Card's work, but I always have to wonder whether his (admitted) opinions on social hot-button topics are really that obvious in his writing... or do people tend to shoe-horn his publicly stated, "real-world" opinions into his fictional work where it otherwise might not exist—without razor-thin analogies and biased analysis?

Either way... it's a perfect example of why I try to be as ignorant of authors personal opinions/politics as I can be. If I find something in their writing that doesn't quite sit right with me, I may stop reading, but I prefer to let their "officially" published words rule my opinions.

EDIT #2: Scott Lynch, author of The Lies of Locke Lamora (from The Gentlemen Bastards series), chimes in on the subject.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-08-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As does Subterranean Press Publisher Bill Schafer

and

Publisher's Weekly
Old 09-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
And besides... I hear it doesn't hold a candle to the original, anyway.

EDIT: I admit that I've never read any of Card's work, but I always have to wonder whether his (admitted) opinions on social hot-button topics are really that obvious in his writing... or do people tend to shoe-horn his publicly stated, "real-world" opinions into his fictional work where it otherwise might not exist—without razor-thin analogies and biased analysis?

Either way... it's a perfect example of why I try to be as ignorant of authors personal opinions/politics as I can be. If I find something in their writing that doesn't quite sit right with me, I may stop reading, but I prefer to let their "officially" published words rule my opinions.

EDIT #2: Scott Lynch, author of The Lies of Locke Lamora (from The Gentlemen Bastards series), chimes in on the subject.

When Mr. Card's homophobia and racism first reared its head, I was shocked, because, no, it's wasn't apparent in his writing - just the opposite. He's had both homosexual and black characters in the past that are well-drawn and likeable.

I've wondered if maybe he doesn't have undiagnosed Alzheimer's, because he seems to have undergone a severe personality change a few years ago.

But, yeah, I've been done with him for awhile - I took a vow not to read anymore Card until he finished the Alvin Maker series, but in the meantime he took this mean-spirited turn, so I'm done, too.

Sad, because he used to be a terrific writer.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I agree with khalleron. I didn't see much of this in his books. I remember thinking that Lost Boys had less prosletyzing than I expected to see in that story.

I'll have to check out Card's actual text. I see a reactionary screeds and quotes from other writings in the links, not enough detail showing how homophobic this new work is.

In a related way, I often don't agree with Dan Simmons' personal opinions but if he leaves them out of the text or is otherwise subtle enough it doesn't bother me.
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire
In a related way, I often don't agree with Dan Simmons' personal opinions but if he leaves them out of the text or is otherwise subtle enough it doesn't bother me.
From what I hear, he had a hard time keeping his personal opinions out of his latest novel. I like Simmons' past work well enough that I've chosen not to read this newest one. That way I can always have fond memories of reading his works.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-08-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I completely disagree with Mr. Card's views on these issues, but I would 100% support his right to have the freedom of speech to say them. Perhaps he is a bigot, but he has the right to be one.

I find his personal views to be distasteful in the extreme, but that won't alter my view that "Ender's Game" is among the finest SF novels ever to be written. Unpleasant people can produce masterpieces.

Last edited by HarryT; 09-08-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I completely disagree with Mr. Card's views on these issues, but I would 100% support his right to have the freedom of speech to say them. Perhaps he is a bigot, but he has the right to be one.
I agree with this in principle. The problem is: although Mr. Card doesn't seem to mind writing bigoted stories, he gets very defensive about it when called to the table over it.

So while I agree that he's free to write it. He should also recognize everyone's right to criticize him for doing so... which he currently doesn't seem willing to do.

If you're going to do it... you should own it.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No one here was denying his right to say whatever he wants to, so was this necessary?

You're protesting something that didn't happen - a waste of energy at best.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I agree with this in principle. The problem is: although Mr. Card doesn't seem to mind writing bigoted stories, he gets very defensive about it when called to the table over it.
But I don't think that he does write bigoted stories; that's my point. I've read most of Mr. Card's books and consider him to be a fine author. That's why I say that I defend his right to hold whatever personal views that he does hold: those views don't come through in the books of his that I've read.

I have far more of a problem with authors like John Ringo, whose deeply unpleasant personal views are apparent in everything that he writes.

Last edited by HarryT; 09-08-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #11
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
I admit that I've never read any of Card's work, but I always have to wonder whether his (admitted) opinions on social hot-button topics are really that obvious in his writing...
His writing is great, and you should definitely try his Ender series. Tales of the Alvin Maker are very good too, just not quite my cup of coffee.
If you insist, buy his books second-hand, or borrow them from library, so he doesn't get your hard-earned money.

I disagree with his views as well, so what?
I do not examine worldviews of the baker that made bread I ate for breakfast. The bread is either good, or it isn't. Period.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
No one here was denying his right to say whatever he wants to, so was this necessary?

You're protesting something that didn't happen - a waste of energy at best.
So what is the story here, Kate? That he holds personal opinions that we disagree with? That's worth talking about? Sorry, but I disagree.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #13
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Most certainly. As a tree-hugging, bleeding-heart liberal, I would be the last to deny someone his right to his opinion. It's also my right to point out his bigotry and deny him the small amount of funds my purchasing his books would have provided.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #14
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
So what is the story here, Kate? That he holds personal opinions that we disagree with? That's worth talking about? Sorry, but I disagree.
You disagree with what?

You seem to be saying that Mr. Card has the right to say whatever he wants, but we don't have the right to express disagreement with those views.

Or that expressing disagreement with those views is somehow trampling on Mr. Card's freedom of speech.

Neither of which is true - if Mr. Card has freedom of speech, so do we.

If you're saying that YOU don't think it's worth discussing, fine. Don't discuss it.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #15
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Bigotry is not worth talking about? Sorry, but I disagree, emphatically. Bigotry, especially from a public figure, needs to be provided as much public discussion as can be provided. Or bigotry continues.
Closed Thread