Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Wyrms by Orson Scott Card

Wyrms by Orson Scott Card

I listened to this book recently via Audible.com. It was written just after Card's Ender, and I know I must have read it long ago, but I couldn't remember anything about the book. My bad past memory is my current mind's entertainment gain. The book was typical Card -- and I love OSC's writing.

The setting is mankind having colonized a planet many thousands of years ago. On this planet are men, Geblings, Guants, and few other types of beings. The book is a bit of sci fi and a bit of fantasy. There's reference to the past colonization by space ship and some interaction with other colonies currently. But only a very tiny bit. One could probably take out 2 pages worth of material and there'd be no sci fi at all. On the other hand, there is also no magic. Some "psychic force" and a bit of mysticism but no dragons, spells or the usual fare of a fantasy book.

It's a story with interesting types of peoples in a fairly "earth normal" landscape. The main character is a young girl who finds out that her father is the rightful Heptarch (think king). Her life is in danger from both those who do not wish to see her on the throne and those who do. There is a good deal of philosopy of leadership, training etc. reminiscent of a good martial arts movie that covers how a child is honed into a deadly weapon and great leader.

There is a very Huck Finish trip up a river on a quest to slay Unworm - the evil force that threatens the world.

I enjoyed the book on so many levels. Adventure, philosophy, the occassional action sequences, interesting "aliens/creatures/peoples". What was a real hoot was reading the afterward. Turns out that Card had wanted to write something Tolkien-esque but didn't want to write directly in Tolkiens univers of Goblins and such. I won't say further, but it's a REAL hoot in retrospect.

The production qualities of the Audible book were top notch. Great narrator, Emily Janice Card who I believe is his daughter.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:36 AM   #2
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
It sounds interesting. I checked on Amazon and there is no kindle edition yet. I'd probably wait for that rather than listening to it. I'm not a great fan of audio books.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Young View Post
It sounds interesting. I checked on Amazon and there is no kindle edition yet. I'd probably wait for that rather than listening to it. I'm not a great fan of audio books.
I love audio books for my commute to and from work and my daily (well, when I'm being good) walks.

Since it's a book that's been out for 20 years or so....I'm sure folks would complain that "I can get this book for a nickel at my neighbor's garage sale and Tor wants to charge $10 for the ebooks, what a ripoff!".

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote