Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
ctkierst
Enthusiast
ctkierst began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Pocketbook 360, Pocketbook IQ
IQ connecting to Mac problem

Hi all,

I'm running a Mac with Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.6). My brand new Pocketbook IQ doesn't show up when I plug in the micro-USB cable (same cable and port work fine with my Pocketbook 360). I checked the user manual, and it seems to imply that a Windows system is needed.

I've tried using VMware Fusion running Windows 7 for Home. There it at least starts the connection process, asking if I want to connect to either Windows or the Mac. I've tried both, and neither have it show up. Any ideas?
ctkierst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
Coredump-EE
Connoisseur
Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook IQ
Well, the IQ should be using pretty generic USB storage drivers on both Mac and Windows.
Coredump-EE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
I don't have the 360 so I am not sure what you supposed to see on your MAC.

when I plug my IQ into the MAC, the SD card gets mounted.

I am not sure what you want to do when you connect your IQ to the MAC?
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
ctkierst
Enthusiast

When I mount my Pocketbook 360 on the mac, I see both it and any card it may have as separate drives. I don't even get an "attempting to connect" message with the IQ on the Mac--I do for the windows, but nothing shows up.

I'd like to delete most (if not all of the provided books), which is hard to do unless I can connect to my Mac, since I haven't seen a way (yet) to delete anything except apps in Android. This also makes it hard to add books.

Also, if I don't want Bookland showing up, I think I need to set up a different launcher based on what I'm reading on the forum, which would imply a need to flash the IQ, which is doable but not easy. I'm just not sure it's worth the bother if I can't even get the basics going. On the plus side, I can get a wireless connection.

Last edited by ctkierst; 01-26-2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
paww
Connoisseur
paww began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ 701
No you don't have to flash the IQ to change what shows up on the main page.

Just need to download one of the many apps available.

I personally use Pro Launcher but there are many other alternatives.
paww is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
ctkierst
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by paww View Post
No you don't have to flash the IQ to change what shows up on the main page.

Just need to download one of the many apps available.

I personally use Pro Launcher but there are many other alternatives.
Thanks! Not being familiar with Android, I'm finding it sort of confusing. Most of the posts assume some basic knowledge. For example, when someone says to run "adb something", what is this being run on? I assume it's some command line, but on what, and in what? Thanks again.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
paww
Connoisseur
paww began at the beginning.

Yep, can be sent with command prompt once your IQ is connected by USB to your PC (start -> run -> type "cmd")

You also have to set up your IQ to enable 'usb debugging' (its an advanced setting - should be able to find a post on here explaining that).

Then you can do all that adb stuff. - The rest you can figure out from reading the step by step guides posted.
paww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #8
ctkierst
Enthusiast

Interestingly enough, it connects fine with a co-worker's PC running Windows XP. I think I'll download and install the service packs for Windows 7. It never occurred to me before this to even check...

Nope, that didn't do it. Remembered a friend complaining about firewalls in Windows, so I
tried turning them all off. Still no good.

Last edited by ctkierst; 01-28-2011 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 01-31-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
ctkierst
Enthusiast

Based on some other suggestions on the Web that didn't work, I took a look at what the system profiler on my Mac shows (see the attached pic). Interestingly enough, while neither the IQ nor its SD card show in the Finder, the profiler is seeing *something*. It's not enough for DoubleTwist to work, though.

A friend who is more conversant with Windows than I suggested looking for a new device driver, but I haven't had much luck with that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PocketbookIQ.png
Views:	409
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	65844  
Old 04-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #10
LornaHen
LornaHen began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ701
Pocketbook IQ 701 not visible to MacBookPro

interested in your findings on this one, I've hit the same problem.
Which rather limits my ability to easily get from calibre on my MacBookPro to the Pocketbook.
Currently getting around this by connecting to a windows machine on my network instead, but would like to fix the basic initial problem.
Being new to Android and relatively new to Mac isn't helping me here.
LornaHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #11
bellak
bellak began at the beginning.

Device: iq
Hi, I have a Mac running Snow Leopard 10.6 and when I plug the Pocketbook in.. it shows as two drives.. the internal drive and the sdcard. "see the attached screenshot" If you have Windows running and use Parallels..at the top of your screen , you should see "Devices" on the menubar click "USB" and uncheck the Pocketbook.. then you should get a box that will make it show up on the Mac side. Hope that helps.. and yes, I can open both drives and add or remove things on the mac . ( without using windows)
bellak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #12
LornaHen
LornaHen began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ701
Quote:
Originally Posted by LornaHen View Post
interested in your findings on this one, I've hit the same problem.
Which rather limits my ability to easily get from calibre on my MacBookPro to the Pocketbook.
Currently getting around this by connecting to a windows machine on my network instead, but would like to fix the basic initial problem.
Being new to Android and relatively new to Mac isn't helping me here.
Further info:
From kernel.log
Apr 4 08:31:00 Lorna-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: USBF: 8262.705 [0xc3b7300] The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device.
Apr 4 08:31:00 Lorna-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: USBF: 8262.956 [0xc3b7300] The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in. It will keep retrying. (Port 3 of Hub at 0xfd100000)
Apr 4 08:31:01 Lorna-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: USBF: 8263.404 [0xc3b7300] The IOUSBFamily gave up enumerating a USB device after 10 retries. (Port 3 of Hub at 0xfd100000)
the Mac recognises the device as Pocketbook as soon as it is connected, but doesn't recognise anything thereafter.
Neither does the Win 7 under VMWare Fusion if I've chosen to connect to windows instead of Mac, both usb ports
However, suspect this is a MAC problem rather than Pocketbook as the same happens with an el cheapo ereader
Other things connect just fine, and the external SD cards are readable if plugged in directly.
LornaHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #13
bellak
bellak began at the beginning.

Device: iq
What happens if you don't open windows (VM?) I think that you're virtual program is taking ownership of the usb port and that is why, it's not showing up on your mac desktop.

Unplug the pocketbook ( usb plug from the imac)... reboot your Mac.. ( don't open VM) then plug the usb cord into the imac and see if that works.

Also, do you have it plugged into a hub? Or in the back of the imac? If it's a hub... I have had problems with things plugged into an unpowered hub, not showing up or working correctly. They tend to work fine with a powered hub, though.
bellak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #14
glofarrell
glofarrell began at the beginning.

Can't get IQ701 to work with Mac

Hello,
I have tried everything to get my PB 701 to work with my Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and VM for Windows. Sometimes it will show up on VM Windows but can't do anything with it. When it does show up I disconnect it but still doesn't show up on Mac. Sure is a big inconvenience to have to find a Windows computer to moved an app or file to my sd card. So does anyone have any ideas? I sure hate to have to return it, it seems like a nice tablet-reader. I have sandisk Ultra 8 gb card. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Gloria
glofarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #15
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
I am having a similar problem with my IREX DR 800: it does not show always show up on Macosx 10.6, or it gets ejected very quickly, but it does appear in the System profiler; sometimes it gets mounted in the finder but only when the device is fully charged; under VMware fusion it asks me if I want to connect to the linux box and then it always shows up; of course this leads to problems when trying to load books from calibre under macosx,

in my opinion it has to do with a bug of Macosx 10.6 to handle USB devices that need power, see here for instance
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=75&tstart=0
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mac os x, pocketbook iq