Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 04:42 AM   #2146
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
dpierron
I meant that maybe you took 1.05n for 01800 instead of 14080 by mistake. But you say you never upgraded to 14080.

The thing is, "not being able to update with Sony updater more than once or downgrade with it" is a known problem with x50. However not being able to go 08100 => 14080 is something new and rather disturbing. This could mean that until the cause of the problem is found only updating with custom installers would work.

I'll need to get dumps of the original 08100 and create corresponding "uninstaller" for older version. The one I've mentioned above are for 14xxx.

PS
On second thought I actually did have CFW (and even flashed it a number of times) but was still able to update to 14xxx with standard firmware. Some piece is missing in this puzzle.

Last edited by kartu; 05-23-2011 at 04:50 AM.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:48 AM   #2147
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
kartu,
I did upgrade to 14080, several times, all by using a custom firmware (Porkupan's russified 1.05n in all cases).
But in this particular case, I did downgrade (again, by using an "original" Porkupan's russified firmware package) and then tried to upgrade. Maybe the downgrade/upgrade doesn't work, as you've been saying...
Anyway, I'm now looking for a way of removing the russified firmware without downgrading, so I can check with an almost pristine 14080 firmware... Any idea ?

And, thanks for your help !
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 04:58 AM   #2148
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

dpierron
Quote:
I did upgrade to 14080, several times, all by using a custom firmware (Porkupan's russified 1.05n in all cases).
But never with standard Sony's updater?

Quote:
Anyway, I'm now looking for a way of removing the russified firmware without downgrading...
Porkupan actually has original packages for 650 for both version (so you don't need my uninstaller):

You could simply do it the way you've installed 1.05n but with the images I've linked above.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:00 AM   #2149
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
thanks kartu,

I don't know if I ever used the standard Sony updater with any success, I haven't got a good memory... Is there a way to check ?

I'll try using the packages you linked, thanks a lot. I'll report back on to whether the battery problem is still there with an almost original firmware
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #2150
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Project site actually has features matrix.

Sort of. It has built in fb2 to epub converter.

I don't think so.

No. There is an experimental option that affects only LRF, but I wouldn't call it "easily". First it's not compatible with Reader Library (unless you modify some files in it as well). Changing it breaks current formatting/notes (for rather obvious reasons).

Russian is merely one out of about a dozen languages supported by PRS+.

You can't create/populate folders on the reader (at the moment and in the nearest future). But you don't need ANY particular software to create them, when connected to your computer. They are usual folders. You create them the way you would with usual hard drive / usb stick.
Thx for the quick answers!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #2151
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
prs 700

Most of this is pretty obvious but, just to be sure, does this work with prs700?

Is this related with http://projects.mobileread.com/reader/users/porkupan/?

Which are the improvements of the alternative prs 700 firmware under that folder?

Regards.
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #2152
kartu
PRS+ author

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksor View Post
Most of this is pretty obvious but, just to be sure, does this work with prs700?
Nope.

Nope.

Quote:
Which are the improvements of the alternative prs 700 firmware under that folder?
Better ask porkupan, the author of it.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #2153
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Quote:
Mark Nord
Sounds like there are errors in German locale. I could reproduce it.
Found and fixed it.
"\firmware\505\Fsk\sony\ebook\application\resource s\prsp_lang\de.js"

Line 4 ended with "6" instead of ","

Another problem with 2.0.11beta on PRS-505:
While the standard-fw shows 36 pictures on my reader (including the skins of the apps), in PRS+ ->Multimedia -> Pictures no pictures are shown.

BTW this was reported by Kybozya in the PRS+ for 505 thread at the-ebook.org, too.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #2154
kartu
PRS+ author

Mark Nord
I vaguely recall "pictures" not working / fixing it in 1.x, but if that was NOT the case and I remember it wrong, finding the cause would be very interesting, since, if anything, menu manipulations in 2.x are done even later than in 1.x.

PS
Could you push the fix to repository please.

Last edited by kartu; 05-24-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #2155
whoareu
whoareu began at the beginning.

Device: sony
Thanks for the firmware My 650 had major ghosting after the last official upgrade.

I was about to send it in for repair and did you firmware and all was cleared up. My guess is the official sony one went bad, but I had no way to undo it.

Thanks again for fixing something you probably had no idea you would fix.
whoareu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:07 AM   #2156
kartu
PRS+ author

whoareu
PRS+ doesn't do anything regarding ghosting, probably simply restart has helped in your case.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #2157
drdann
Connoisseur
drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Same issue on 350

Quote:
dpierron
I meant that maybe you took 1.05n for 01800 instead of 14080 by mistake. But you say you never upgraded to 14080.

The thing is, "not being able to update with Sony updater more than once or downgrade with it" is a known problem with x50. However not being able to go 08100 => 14080 is something new and rather disturbing. This could mean that until the cause of the problem is found only updating with custom installers would work.

I'll need to get dumps of the original 08100 and create corresponding "uninstaller" for older version. The one I've mentioned above are for 14xxx.

PS
On second thought I actually did have CFW (and even flashed it a number of times) but was still able to update to 14xxx with standard firmware. Some piece is missing in this puzzle.
I also updated to 14080 with standard, then downgraded using one of the russified units to uinstall 2.10a, nmow can't upgrade to 14080 again to go to 2.12b
drdann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #2158
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
On my PRS-650, I am currently happily running the original firmware (1.0.00.08100) with PRSPlus 2.0.10alpha.

I have no particular need for the features/fixes of the Sony official firmware (1.0.00.14080), but would I need to load it before I could update to PRSPlus 2.0.12 beta?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #2159
BakaEcchi
BakaEcchi began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-350
I have the same problem.
I wanted to install PRS+ 2.0.12beta, but the update to 14080 didn't work.
I had to use the russified firmware with 14080 and then install 2.0.12beta.

Bought the 350 with a higher version than 08100 and I did a downgrade to 08100.
Since then I cant use the sony updater.

@jackie_w:
I tried to install PRS+ 2.0.12beta with 08100, but it said that I need the new firmware, so I think you need at least a newer firmware.

Sorry for my english, I'm from Germany
BakaEcchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #2160
kartu
PRS+ author

Regardin 14080 woes, check this.