Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-13-2015, 08:41 PM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
O. Henry wrote TV?
No, but Chekhov wrote plays. Close enough for government work

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
He did seem to be unable to make the move to novels as they became more popular.
Neither did Raymond Carver.

And I'm not sure if John Cheever's books measure up to his stories.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:03 PM   #17
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I know he's written some good short stories, and some great TV, but I'm not aware of any great novels by him.
I wouldn't consider that a problem.

His non-fiction books of essays, criticism, and rantings are pretty good also.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2015, 10:06 PM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I wouldn't consider that a problem.

His non-fiction books of essays, criticism, and rantings are pretty good also.
Exactly.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:31 PM   #19
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
He also has a YouTube channel where you can watch his program Harlan Ellison's Watching, from the early days of the Sci-Fi Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...vWAzA0M2xQn8jA

It can be amusing.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:40 PM   #20
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Harlan has a reputation, to be sure. My experience with him stems from my bookstore days. This was back in '96. We had a signing scheduled with him to coincide with Edgeworks Vol 1, when he had to go in for bypass surgery. All other tour dates got cancelled, but, luckily, he was recovered enough that our date was not.

Big turn out and he was genial and friendly to all comers.

Even ended up going out to dinner with him and his friends afterward, where he regaled us with various tales.

Fast forward a few days. A mail ordered copy had been personalized incorrectly. Our store's PR person didn't want to deal with it. (She didn't get along with him, but then she was a bit of a rhymes with witch.) So I call and, if I recall correctly, talk to Susan (Harlan's wife) who checks with him and says, basically, come on up to the house and Harlan will sign a new book for this customer.

So I, with wife and <1 year-old daughter in tow (as I'm doing this on my day off), wind my way up the hills of Sherman Oaks/Tarzana to Harlan's house. Which, I have to say from what I saw, is pretty cool.

Even cooler is that he let himself be imposed on like this to make a fan happy. When he didn't have to. When he was still recovering from heart bypass surgery.

So, while there is no denying the reality that he's had some dust ups in his time, all I can say is that I experienced his graciousness and generosity.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2015, 02:59 PM   #21
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
Harlan has a reputation, to be sure. My experience with him stems from my bookstore days. This was back in '96. We had a signing scheduled with him to coincide with Edgeworks Vol 1, when he had to go in for bypass surgery. All other tour dates got cancelled, but, luckily, he was recovered enough that our date was not.

Even ended up going out to dinner with him and his friends afterward, where he regaled us with various tales.

Fast forward a few days. A mail ordered copy had been personalized incorrectly. Our store's PR person didn't want to deal with it. (She didn't get along with him, but then she was a bit of a rhymes with witch.) So I call and, if I recall correctly, talk to Susan (Harlan's wife) who checks with him and says, basically, come on up to the house and Harlan will sign a new book for this customer.

So I, with wife and <1 year-old daughter in tow (as I'm doing this on my day off), wind my way up the hills of Sherman Oaks/Tarzana to Harlan's house. Which, I have to say from what I saw, is pretty cool.

Even cooler is that he let himself be imposed on like this to make a fan happy. When he didn't have to. When he was still recovering from heart bypass surgery.

So, while there is no denying the reality that he's had some dust ups in his time, all I can say is that I experienced his graciousness and generosity.
Thanks for that!
Old 07-14-2015, 09:26 PM   #22
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Oh yeah, he's a hoot for sure. I was just reading how he grabbed Connie Wilis's boob at some convention. Outspoken and wild people amuse me. I'm team Harlan, but he should RELEASE THE ****ING BOOK ALREADY. Lol.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:03 PM   #23
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I have always enjoyed his short story: Along the Scenic Route. I wonder if he came up with the idea after being cut off in rush hour traffic.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:51 PM   #24
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post

Sometimes when one is said to bear a grudge there is an element of it being unjust or unreasonable. If Mr. Ellison was bitter with some it seems it might be justified.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:05 PM   #25
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
I have always enjoyed his short story: Along the Scenic Route. I wonder if he came up with the idea after being cut off in rush hour traffic.
I had not read that one, but just did. Love it. A Boy and his Dog has always been a favorite of mine.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:30 PM   #26
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
Me too.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:12 PM   #27
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
My favs are The Deathbird, Paingod, and Deeper than The Darkness
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #28
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
He wrote I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream, he can be as cranky as he wants; that story is just that good.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:00 PM   #29
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I had not read that one, but just did. Love it. A Boy and his Dog has always been a favorite of mine.
Sitting on my desk at the moment is The Essential Ellison in paper (I wish it was available as an ebook) and it contains both the stories mentioned. I probably read them at one time but don't remember. I'll have to sit down and read both tonight
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote