Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-16-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
Another cheap Android tablet- from Argos

Argos has launched its first own-brand Android tablet computer in time for the Christmas shopping season.

The 7in (18cm) tablet will retail for £100 and run on Google's Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 operating system.

More info here:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24520499
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmartin View Post
Argos has launched its first own-brand Android tablet computer in time for the Christmas shopping season.

The 7in (18cm) tablet will retail for £100 and run on Google's Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 operating system.

i don't want to be a party pooper but you can get essentially the same thing from ebay for about £36 to £45.

all the functions.latest android.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quality might be different. Don't know what quality Argos is but I've tried a couple of the cheapies-barely worth the money IMO.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmartin View Post

"Cheap" indeed, it comes with specs that would have been OK in 2010. Next!
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
Ranny
Connoisseur
Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Aimed and priced as they said for the 8-13 age group where I guess a lot get lost or stolen. Probably not suitable for adults but perfect for that age group.
Ranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I think I could usefully own two more tablets, in addition to my iPad (2). The iPad essentially lives downstairs, in the living room. I mainly use it for web browsing.

I'd also like a small, cheap lightweight tablet with a good, tough shell case for carrying around. Mobile data would be a plus for that one, too.

And then a third one to keep upstairs by the bed, for a bit of Netflix and web browsing when I'm in bed. And a way to read books (PDFs and comics, say) that my eInk readers don't handle well.

That'd be my ideal setup. The cheaper they get, the more likely I am to expand my collection. The advantage of the Argos and Tesco models is that they have retail stores that I can easily get to, so I'd be able to return or exchange faulty devices.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I'd also like a small, cheap lightweight tablet with a good, tough shell case for carrying around.
I did that with a Kindle Fire HD 7 and a matching Otterbox case for around $158 (£98). It goes with me to work, appointments, friends, family, etc.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I was actually looking at the new Nexus 7 tablet on the Argos site earlier I'm tempted but I've read quite a lot of bad things about it. I'll wait for kit kat and see if things improve.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I was actually looking at the new Nexus 7 tablet on the Argos site earlier I'm tempted but I've read quite a lot of bad things about it. I'll wait for kit kat and see if things improve.
I've had a Nexus 7 for a while and was thinking about the new one. What bad things have you heard about it?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I've had a Nexus 7 for a while and was thinking about the new one. What bad things have you heard about it?
Most of the stuff was on the verge forums here's an example thread

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/9/48...-glitch-ridden

Should give you the general gist.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Thanks, I'll take a look at that.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Hmmm .................

If Argos are selling it .... get the bargepole out and don't use it
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
Teknikal
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
If Argos are selling it .... get the bargepole out and don't use it
I actually quite like Argos I bought my Sony T1 there and when it died 8 months later for no apparent reason they just gave me a new one straight away with no issues and no fuss.

Saying that I think buying a cheap tablet that isn't a Nexus could be letting yourself in for a world of hurt but I'm pretty confident in Argos and actually use them quite a bit.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #14
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
It's just an Argos rebranded cheap tablet. I really wouldn't want one (I'm a quite a long way from their 8-to-13 years old target market!) but I'm sure they'll sell loads of them.

Edit: that made me chuckle "Kids find it hard to share, so we've priced our tablet at a level that means everyone in the family can have one." Erm, how about teaching kids to share instead would make it even better value

And if it's a bargain people are after, then it looks like a £29 tablet will be available in the UK by the end year...

Last edited by Yolina; 10-18-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #15
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
The guardian reviewed it, and didn't like it...

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...blet-jellybean
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote